My stumpjumper to be reborn!

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
got the good news today and very impressed by the good will of specialized, my 7 year old stumpjumper frame which cracked at the Kona 24 hour, is going to be replaced! brand new frame... I was shocked and very happy at the same time.... so now the wife had to give in and I am allowed to upgrade to disc brakes and new front shocks... so I need advice.... what should I get ??

Im not going to be going ultra expensive as I really dont MTB that much at the moment...

I am after Hydraulic disc brakes and a good quality front shock with at least 100mm of travel.

any recommendations, appreciated!

Mikey :)

MikeyOz said:
got the good news today and very impressed by the good will of specialized, my 7 year old stumpjumper frame which cracked at the Kona 24 hour, is going to be replaced! brand new frame... I was shocked and very happy at the same time.... so now the wife had to give in and I am allowed to upgrade to disc brakes and new front shocks... so I need advice.... what should I get ??

Im not going to be going ultra expensive as I really dont MTB that much at the moment...

I am after Hydraulic disc brakes and a good quality front shock with at least 100mm of travel.

any recommendations, appreciated!

Mikey :)

2cents worth...

Avid cable discs & Fox forks.
Save some $$ on the brakes, lash out more for better forks. The Avids will stop just as well for your use.

MikeyOz said:
got the good news today and very impressed by the good will of specialized, my 7 year old stumpjumper frame which cracked at the Kona 24 hour, is going to be replaced! brand new frame... I was shocked and very happy at the same time.... so now the wife had to give in and I am allowed to upgrade to disc brakes and new front shocks... so I need advice.... what should I get ??

Excellent news! As for recommendations, follow Bikesoilers advice. :)

"Bikesoiler" suggested...

> 2cents worth...
>
> Avid cable discs & Fox forks.
> Save some $$ on the brakes, lash out more for better forks. The Avids
> will stop just as well for your use.

Seconded.

If you want to throw some cash around Avid Juicy 7s. Yummy!

Parbs

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:24:27 +1100, MikeyOz wrote:

> I am after Hydraulic disc brakes and a good quality front shock with at
> least 100mm of travel.

The Deore hydros are good value, and work well. I have 2 sets on bikes,
and no real desire to upgrade. I've heard good things about Avid Juicys as
well, but they cost more.

As for forks - you're spoiled for choice. Rock Shox seem to have their
heads around suspension in the last few years, Manitou and Marzocchi are
doing good things, and the Fox Forx are rather tasty. Have a look around
in your budget.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Like most computer techie people, I'll happily spend 6 hours trying to

--
Frank
[email protected]
"Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bikesoiler" suggested...
> >
> > 2cents worth...
> >
> > Avid cable discs & Fox forks.
> > Save some $$ on the brakes, lash out more for better forks. The Avids
> > will stop just as well for your use.
> >

> Seconded.
>
> If you want to throw some cash around Avid Juicy 7s. Yummy!
>
> Parbs

Thirded - just replaced the Hayes on my Specialized Enduro with Avid
Cables - they work just as well as the Hayes but differently. Much better
modulation with a bit less power but who needs more power than an easy
two-wheel lock up? The Avids stop just as well as the Hayes but have more
control. Dependent on the levers though - I'd recommend Avid speed dial or
similar.

Cheers,

Frank

Plodder said:
--
Frank
[email protected]
Drop DACKS to reply
"Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bikesoiler" suggested...
> >
> > 2cents worth...
> >
> > Avid cable discs & Fox forks.
> > Save some $$ on the brakes, lash out more for better forks. The Avids
> > will stop just as well for your use.
> >

> Seconded.
>
> If you want to throw some cash around Avid Juicy 7s. Yummy!
>
> Parbs

Thirded - just replaced the Hayes on my Specialized Enduro with Avid
Cables - they work just as well as the Hayes but differently. Much better
modulation with a bit less power but who needs more power than an easy
two-wheel lock up? The Avids stop just as well as the Hayes but have more
control. Dependent on the levers though - I'd recommend Avid speed dial or
similar.

Cheers,

Frank
thanks for the feedback so far, much appreciated, looks like I might be changing, the disc brakes to cables by the sounds of it, I had heard that hydraulics, required less maintenance, but as I said the amount I MTB at the moment, probably not that big a deal.

Having recently ridden on Fox forks, which seemed great, I think I might be tending to a Fox fork set at the moment.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:13:33 +1100, MikeyOz wrote:

> thanks for the feedback so far, much appreciated, looks like I might be
> changing, the disc brakes to cables by the sounds of it, I had heard that
> hydraulics, required less maintenance, but as I said the amount I MTB at
> the moment, probably not that big a deal.

Good cable discs don't have a huge maintenance level - adjust the fixed
pad from time to time, wind the cable stop out t match pad wear, and wind
them in when done. You'll also need to swap cables from time to time.

*Good* Hydros need pads when they're worn, and a very occasional bleed.
Bleeding brakes is a bit of a hassle if you're not used to it, but not
hard. The bonus is the brakes are self adjusting for wear, and marginally
more direct since you don't have any cable stretch/flex/friction. You also
have both pads moving, so the power is a bit higher (you aren't deflecting
the disc to achieve friction).

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory