My take at the binary/non binary issue, re: my rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Jul 20, 2003
The "my rig" thread prompted an interesting observation for me. I posted a picture to that thread, and naturally, I wish to express my views here.

Basically, I came across the "aus.bicycle" through my membership of the "cyclingforums.com". The recent exchange of ideas on the above thread made me realise the situation whereas before I posted to this discussion group as any ordinary posting to "A" forum. Therefore, the technicalities remained within the boundaries of a commom practice known as "the way we post threads to a forum". The interesting point for me is that the forum is providing access to the aus.bicycle, which by nature has particular requirements. And this has not been clearly signposted.

The issue of posting a picture to me has been an ordinary matter as a forum user. Forum users post tonnes of images to their forum threads on a regular basis. It was initially confusing that why some people started yelling about the binary/non-binary stuff when there was even a set up in the new message compose page to facilitate attaching a picture. I think braso shared the same view.

Now, it's better to keep separate issues separate. Firstly, if sending a pic to the cyclinforums.com has inadvertantly caused trouble for some aus.bicycle users, then I feel sorry about that. Secondly, as a cyclingforums.com member, I have not been warned about incompatibilities with aus.bicycle, so I don't feel responsible for any incompatibility (by the way, the FAQ link leads to a brief page with no note on this matter, and extra links provided within the FAQ do not talk about the "no no" binary/non-binary matter). Thirdly, if the setup between the cyclingforums.com and the aus.bicycle is likely to cause any proplems, the matter is to be brought to the respective staff's attention so that any necessary adjustments would be made. Therefore, in my view, no one is entitled to lecture other forum users in an authorative manner.

And Oh! Someone scared me so bad about the consequences I almost c****ed my pants... We need to come down, don't we?

Cheers,
Amir.

Originally posted by amirm
The "my rig" thread prompted an interesting observation for me. I posted a picture to that thread, and naturally, I wish to express my views here. (snip)
Cheers,
Amir.

Eloquently stated Amir.

The initial thread showed the issue to be more of a basic technology problem vs. the general lack of common sense & battling egos via internet.

Our two cents: wish someone would develop "ironic" or "mildly sarcastic" fonts for express use on forums and usergroups. Sure as hell would curtail most convoluted arguments, pointless hissy fits and ego-driven tanties.

Would love to post pics of my bikes here, but unfortunately they could bewilder cyclists of of a more serious persuasion...:D

> amirm wrote:
> > The "my rig" thread prompted an interesting observation for me. I
posted
> > a picture to that thread, and naturally, I wish to express my
views
> > here. (snip) Cheers, Amir.

After all this discussion though.. did any pictures actually make it to the aus.bicycles newsgroup?
I've not seen one. Perhaps my ISP's news server strips them out - do other people have images
appearing in their newsreader?

hippy

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > amirm wrote:
> > > The "my rig" thread prompted an interesting observation for me. I
> posted
> > > a picture to that thread, and naturally, I wish to express my
> views
> > > here. (snip) Cheers, Amir.
>
> After all this discussion though.. did any pictures actually make it to the aus.bicycles
> newsgroup? I've not seen one. Perhaps my ISP's news server strips them out - do other people have
> images appearing in their newsreader?
>
> hippy
>
>

If you have a modern graphical commercial type reader then you should be able to view binaries.

Pete

"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The "my rig" thread prompted an interesting observation for me. I posted a picture to that thread,
> and naturally, I wish to express my views here.

I have not been warned about incompatibilities
> with aus.bicycle, so I don't feel responsible for any incompatibility (by the way, the FAQ link
> leads to a brief page with no note on this matter, and extra links provided within the FAQ do not
> talk about the "no no" binary/non-binary matter). Thirdly, if the setup between the
> cyclingforums.com and the aus.bicycle is likely to cause any proplems, the matter is to be brought
> to the respective staff's attention so that any necessary adjustments would be made. Therefore, in
> my view, no one is entitled to lecture other forum users in an authorative manner.

There is not an incompatibility with aus.bicycle in regard to binary images and the like. It is a
usenet thing. There are plethora of FAQ's, HOWTOs and guides on how to post to USENet Groups. Do a
google search and you will find more than a lifetime of reading.
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#ss2.1 talks of uk.* but same everywhere. There are groups where
you can post binaries. You will find groups labelled with a binaries extenstion. Say you would have
a group called aus.bicycle.binaries. This is to warn those people using text based news readers to
steer clear. Back in the good old days people could download binaries from these groups with their
special software to do so. Not everyone uses Microsoft software or newsreaders that can see
graphics. In fact the USENet has been around a lot longer than MS Windows.

>
> And Oh! Someone scared me so bad about the consequences I almost c****ed my pants... We need to
> come down, don't we?
>

Dont know why they did that. Just a USENET nazi who believes they have never made a mistake like
this. Dont take it to heart. Chances are they have a miserable life. Dont let them get you down. You
are right. The admin of your forum server should strip out all but text if its being posted to
newsgroups.

cheers Pete

"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The "my rig" thread prompted an interesting observation for me. I posted a picture to that thread,
> and naturally, I wish to express my views here.

> And Oh! Someone scared me so bad about the consequences I almost c****ed my pants... We need to
> come down, don't we?
>
> Cheers, Amir.
>

Where is the post that scared you. I cannot find it. However Bigpond is not very good at newsgroups
and could have got lost. All I could see was the truth. An ISP could chuck your account if people
complained. (they have done before). Chin up. Honest mistake and all they wouldnt ditch you for
that. If you ignored it people can get snippy. USENET is supposed to be a text based forum.

Apparently there is a FAQ on CyclingForums that explains this.

cheers Pete

Originally posted by John Doe
> Where is the post that scared you. I cannot find it.

john doe
I think this is the post refered to-

Originally posted by Drs
> Don't try to divert attention from your stupidity. Binary newsgroups invariably have "binary" in
> their name. If you'd done any homework at all on Usenet etiquette you'd know that and also know that
> newsgroups are presumed to be non-binary by default. Posting binaries to non-binary groups is a
> clear breach of any reputable ISP's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) and you can lose your account by
> doing so.
That, if nothing else, should persuade you this is not a trivial matter.

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 04:17:51 GMT, "John Doe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>
>"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
<snip>

>> And Oh! Someone scared me so bad about the consequences I almost c****ed my pants... We need to
>> come down, don't we?
>>
>
>Dont know why they did that. Just a USENET nazi who believes they have never made a mistake
>like this.

Oh dear. I think he was referring to me. I'm not a USENET nazi. I was simply pointing out, politely
but to the point, I felt, the consequences of continuing to post binaries to this group after
several (I think I counted four or five) more gentle requests to desist. I was thinking that we had
attracted someone who was going to ignore all requests to follow usenet etiquette. I hadn't taken
into account that the requests to desist might not have arrived at cyclingforums before the repeated
attempts to post a binary. For this I apologise.

At least mine got his attention :)

It is not unknown for ISPs to stop carrying non-binary groups that have binaries in them. And it's
such a pain to have to use Google or other web based interfaces.

And yes, I have never ever posted a binary to a non-binary group. I don't do HTML posts. And I only
top-post in groups where it's the standard. I brush my teeth after every meal and I hardly ever get
roaring drunk. Oh yeah ... I also use a real news client, a real ftp client and a real email client.
I used to code using Assembler and Algol and I wrote user documentation using HTML in 1982. In spite
of all that, I do have a life.

amirm and braso, don't get put off posting here. We are friendly most of the time.

As for the ebay bike being a genuine price, I know someone with a genuine US Postal Service team
issue Trek 5900 that cost him around $2800, I think. Maybe it was only $1800. He bought it (one year
old) from a team member. This bike has the big Shimano graphics on the cranks, brake levers, etc. I
also know someone with a lovely steel Gios/Record bike (cromed lugs and all) that cost him about
$1500. How about <$3000 for a new Colnago C40 with Campag Veloce? There are bargains out there :)

--
Regards. Richard.

John Doe <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]

[...]

> Where is the post that scared you. I cannot find it. However Bigpond is not very good at
> newsgroups and could have got lost. All I could see was the truth. An ISP could chuck your account
> if people complained.

According to you that truth was posted by a "USENET nazi". Make your mind up. Telling someone
something they need to hear does not make one a Nazi of any description.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 04:09:49 GMT, John Doe said (and I quote):
>
> "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:azBVb.48388$Wa.11042@news-
> server.bigpond.net.au...
>>> amirm wrote:
>>>> The "my rig" thread prompted an interesting observation for me. I posted a picture to that
>>>> thread, and naturally, I wish to express my views here. (snip) Cheers, Amir.
>>
>> After all this discussion though.. did any pictures actually make it to the aus.bicycles
>> newsgroup? I've not seen one. Perhaps my ISP's news server strips them out - do other people have
>> images appearing in their newsreader?
>
> If you have a modern graphical commercial type reader then you should be able to view binaries.

Actually, that's got nothing to do with it. A text-based reader should have no problem with palming
the image off to an image viewer.

What hippy was referring to was the practice of network administrators stripping posts that contain
binaries from the newsfeed. This is what happens with the news server I am using. It's not that
there are no pictures - the posts that contain the pictures get deleted by the administrator before
anybody can see them. This is fairly common.

Anybody posting pictures should be aware that a large segment of the readership will never see
those posts.

And I agree with Amir - the administrator of the web forum is at fault for allowing the users of the
forum to post binaries to a non-binary newsgroup. But those users have now been educated, so there
are no excuses from now! :)
--
B: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

I'm just posting to recap a few things (according to importance).

As I was saying before, it is not satisfying to be able to post to a forum that gateways to a usenet when this sort of details are involved. However, the only way is up, and while I don't wish to change anything in regards to my membership at the cyclingforums.com, I do certainly not like to limit my access to the wealth available at the aus.bicycles. On the other hand, I would like to exploit of communication with people over at the usenet by being able to share images. As a result, I have approached the cyclingforums.com, and hopefully in the near future we will be able to do share images without upsetting the non-binary users. I am impressed with the positive attitude of the administrators over at cyclingforums.com on this matter.

Now, coming back to this thread, my initial intention was to express my views about the situation, especially that I was not the one to whom the unfriendly advice was initially directed. I am pleased that the message seems to have got across. Remember that a good intention should remain good, and my attitude should not, and would not change just because someone is not necessarily have the verbal ethiquette while communicating.

This is an old issue not worthy of spending any more time on.

Cheers,
and looking forward to fun threads.

Amir.

Originally posted by amirm
The "my rig" thread prompted an interesting observation for me. I posted a picture to that thread, and naturally, I wish to express my views here.

Basically, I came across the "aus.bicycle" through my membership of the "cyclingforums.com". The recent exchange of ideas on the above thread made me realise the situation whereas before I posted to this discussion group as any ordinary posting to "A" forum. Therefore, the technicalities remained within the boundaries of a commom practice known as "the way we post threads to a forum". The interesting point for me is that the forum is providing access to the aus.bicycle, which by nature has particular requirements. And this has not been clearly signposted.

The issue of posting a picture to me has been an ordinary matter as a forum user. Forum users post tonnes of images to their forum threads on a regular basis. It was initially confusing that why some people started yelling about the binary/non-binary stuff when there was even a set up in the new message compose page to facilitate attaching a picture. I think braso shared the same view.

Now, it's better to keep separate issues separate. Firstly, if sending a pic to the cyclinforums.com has inadvertantly caused trouble for some aus.bicycle users, then I feel sorry about that. Secondly, as a cyclingforums.com member, I have not been warned about incompatibilities with aus.bicycle, so I don't feel responsible for any incompatibility (by the way, the FAQ link leads to a brief page with no note on this matter, and extra links provided within the FAQ do not talk about the "no no" binary/non-binary matter). Thirdly, if the setup between the cyclingforums.com and the aus.bicycle is likely to cause any proplems, the matter is to be brought to the respective staff's attention so that any necessary adjustments would be made. Therefore, in my view, no one is entitled to lecture other forum users in an authorative manner.

And Oh! Someone scared me so bad about the consequences I almost c****ed my pants... We need to come down, don't we?

Cheers,
Amir.

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> John Doe <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
>
> [...]
>
> > Where is the post that scared you. I cannot find it. However Bigpond is not very good at
> > newsgroups and could have got lost. All I could see was the truth. An ISP could chuck your
> > account if people complained.
>
> According to you that truth was posted by a "USENET nazi". Make your mind up. Telling someone
> something they need to hear does not make one a Nazi
of
> any description.
>
> --
>
> A: Top-posters.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
>
>

Yes well I went and looked at the thread after I wrote the first email to look at the abuse. I could
not find anyone. First to admit I made a mistake.

amirm <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]

[...]

> aus.bicycles. On the other hand, I would like to exploit of communication with people over at
> the usenet by being able to share images. As a result, I have approached the cyclingforums.com,
> and hopefully in the near future we will be able to do share images without upsetting the non-
> binary users.

That's why your ISP gives you all those megabytes for your homepages.

[...]

> the message seems to have got across. Remember that a good intention should remain good,

Road to hell, paving...

--

Originally posted by Drs
Road to hell, paving...

Drs, you've posted requests for information to aus.bicycle/forum/usergroup/whatever/ in the recent past and have been duly treated by other users with respect and shared knowledge. Stop getting your knick(er)s in a knot over such trival stuff....:p

cfsmtb <spam@spameggs&spam.com.vic> wrote in message [email protected]
> Drs wrote:
> > Road to hell, paving...
>
> Drs, you've posted requests for information to aus.bicycle/forum/usergroup/whatever/ in the recent
> past and have been

How would you know? You don't even know what a newsgroup is, much less what my posting history is in
this one or how I've been treated here. Moreover, I always show every other user the courtesy of
formatting my posts correctly.

> duly treated by other users with respect and shared knowledge. Stop getting your knick(er)s in a
> knot over such trival stuff....:p

People have lost their Internet accounts for this exact behaviour in the past, which is how it
should be. It's not trivial at all.

--

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 01:41:26 +0000, hippy wrote:

> After all this discussion though.. did any pictures actually make it to the aus.bicycles
> newsgroup? I've not seen one. Perhaps my ISP's news server strips them out - do other people have

I never saw any either :(

-kt

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:50:49 +0000, Baka Dasai wrote:

> What hippy was referring to was the practice of network administrators stripping posts that
> contain binaries from the newsfeed. This is what happens with the news server I am using. It's not
> that there are no pictures - the posts that contain the pictures get deleted by the administrator
> before anybody can see them. This is fairly common.

Actually, I don't think it's that manual - they probably just junk posts over a particular size.
That's probably why I can't post the FAQ anymore.

-kt

kingsley <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]

[...]

> Actually, I don't think it's that manual - they probably just junk posts over a particular size.
> That's probably why I can't post the FAQ anymore.

How big was it?

--

Originally posted by Drs
amirm <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]

[...]

> aus.bicycles. On the other hand, I would like to exploit of communication with people over at
> the usenet by being able to share images. As a result, I have approached the cyclingforums.com,
> and hopefully in the near future we will be able to do share images without upsetting the non-
> binary users.

That's why your ISP gives you all those megabytes for your homepages.

[...]

> the message seems to have got across. Remember that a good intention should remain good,

Road to hell, paving...

--

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > amirm wrote:
> > > The "my rig" thread prompted an interesting observation for me. I
> posted
> > > a picture to that thread, and naturally, I wish to express my
> views
> > > here. (snip) Cheers, Amir.
>

None arrived at Internode's. I take it that Cyclingforum doesn't post the bins to the ngs.

Cheers, j

Status
Not open for further replies.