My Throat

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by JadenTXPA, Apr 20, 2004.

1. JadenTXPA

JadenTXPA New Member

I have a question, hopefully not to ignorant of one since I'm new here. I just started riding again since the weather finally warmed up enough, I'm more of a leisurely just trying to get exercise rider, and I came back with a sore throat today. I thought that usually only happened with cold weather with me, but apparently not. If I ride in cold weather I come back with a really raw throat as if I were sick or something. It is enough to keep me from riding in cold weather. I rode today (in the 60s) and came back with a sore throat though.

Is this just because I'm a mouth breather or am I getting too dehydrated or what? :confused:

Tags:

2. patch70

patch70 New Member

Or did you come in to contact with a virus a couple of days ago?

Regarding hydration, how much are you drinking? A general aim is one bottle per hour - more in the heat. Are you needing to pee regularly (thus showing that you are drinking enough)?

Is it a dry area that you are in (with a very low relative humidity)? Dry air tends to give some people a sore mouth if they don't drink extra.

3. JadenTXPA

JadenTXPA New Member

Nope, no viruses. I was just describing the feeling that way. I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area, it is hilly and humid here. This was the first time I've ridden since I've moved up here from the western part of Texas. It is flat, dry, and windy there. I compare the wind on hot days (90-110 F) to a hot car engine blowing on you. I wasn't even out for hardly half an hour this time though, and it was only in the 60s so I didn't take water. I've gotta figure out if I can even fit a water bottle on this new bike the way the frame is shaped. I may have to get one that hangs from the handlebars.

4. dhk

dhk New Member

The molds and pollen are probably a lot higher in Pittsburgh area than W. Texas.

I sometimes get a tight feeling in the throat when riding in hot spring/summer weather here and figure it's allergies.

5. JadenTXPA

JadenTXPA New Member

I never had a problem with sore throats in hot weather down there. Of course I'm also completely out of shape at this point. The only things I know of that I'm allergic to are mold and plants I have to come into contact with (like Oleanders) and medications. The only thing that makes me think I'm allergic to mold though is when I left flowers in a vase a bit too long once and started waking up with headaches (they were by my bed) 2 mornings in a row until I threw them out and I quit getting the headaches. That and about every time I went into the OLD English building at my university I'd have a headache after coming out, thankfully I got the classes 2 days a week instead of 3. It was said around campus mold was growing on the walls and such.

6. dhk

dhk New Member

Sounds like you're pretty sensitive to mold. You might want to try an anti-histamine a couple of hours before you next time out and see if that helps.

7. TheToad

TheToad New Member

I get a sore throat for the first couple of cold days in sydney (which aren't that cold by world standards), in summer I find that my mouth and throat dry out really quick and am constantly topping up with water.. but I only ever get sore on cold winter mornings.. which I have currently, first coldish morning on the bike this year.