my toes rub on the front wheel

> [email protected] (TBGibb) wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >>D'Oh... I checked the paint on my 56cm bike, and it's GONE!!!
> >>
> >>Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
> >
> >You PAINTED a Ti frame?
>
> Oh, that's right... no paint. Whew, I'm relieved! ;-)

It cracks me up that most owners won't paint their Ti bikes because, then, nobody would recognize it
as a Ti bike right away. Personally, I like paint. It allows you to have something a little unique.
In the auto world, one wouldn't think of not painting, except for someone like DeLorean (they didn't
rush out to copy that, did they?).

Robin Hubert

Robin Hubert <[email protected]> wrote:

> It cracks me up that most owners won't paint their Ti bikes because, then, nobody would recognize
> it as a Ti bike right away. Personally, I like paint. It allows you to have something a little
> unique. In the auto world, one wouldn't think of not painting, except for someone like DeLorean
> (they didn't rush out to copy that, did they?).

I think the main advantage of a Ti frame is not having to worry about paint chips. So lots of folks
can't see paying extra to buy a painted Ti frame and then have to worry about scratches and chips.

Art Harris

Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

>Robin Hubert <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It cracks me up that most owners won't paint their Ti bikes because, then, nobody would recognize
>> it as a Ti bike right away. Personally, I like paint. It allows you to have something a little
>> unique. In the auto world, one wouldn't think of not painting, except for someone like DeLorean
>> (they didn't rush out to copy that, did they?).
>
>I think the main advantage of a Ti frame is not having to worry about paint chips. So lots of folks
>can't see paying extra to buy a painted Ti frame and then have to worry about scratches and chips.

Thanks, Art... just what I was going to say.

While it may sound like self-promotion, once you start riding a brushed ti frame, you wonder how you
ever put up with a painted bike. I'm not particularly easy on equipment, and sometimes bikes get
loaded in the back of the Cherokee with less than reverent attention. Sometimes you crash. None of
it matters much though, because there's no paint to scratch and chip, and no worries about rust or
oxydation.

Besides, when you paint a bike you cover up the art of the welder. On some bikes that's probably a
good thing - but to me there's nothing prettier on a bike than a well-executed single-pass weld on
ti. Then again, I'm kinda nerdy like that...