My Tour Easy Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Rice

Help!

My Tour Easy arrived today, and I had to go to work (second shift this week) before I could put it
together. Now that I'm home I've had a chance to get it mostly done.

But I'm having a real problem trying to get the rear wheel on! It seems like the axle(?) of the rear
hub is too large to fit into the dropout. Any TE folks out there know what I'm refering? I know the
whell has to come off & on easier than this...

Mike Rice

Mike Rice must be edykated coz e writed:

> Help!
>
> My Tour Easy arrived today, and I had to go to work (second shift this week) before I could put it
> together. Now that I'm home I've had a chance to get it mostly done.
>
> But I'm having a real problem trying to get the rear wheel on! It seems like the axle(?) of the
> rear hub is too large to fit into the dropout. Any TE folks out there know what I'm refering? I
> know the whell has to come off & on easier than this...
>
> Mike Rice
If the rear derailleur is in place, try removing it before offering the wheel up to the drop outs.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Ian <[email protected]> wrote in news:BB99D5EF.11E1C%[email protected]:

> Mike Rice must be edykated coz e writed:
>
>> Help!
>>
>> My Tour Easy arrived today, and I had to go to work (second shift this week) before I could put
>> it together. Now that I'm home I've had a chance to get it mostly done.
>>
>> But I'm having a real problem trying to get the rear wheel on! It seems like the axle(?) of the
>> rear hub is too large to fit into the dropout. Any TE folks out there know what I'm refering? I
>> know the whell has to come off & on easier than this...
>>
>> Mike Rice
> If the rear derailleur is in place, try removing it before offering the wheel up to the drop outs.
>

This may work. Sometimes a bracket that is behind some derailleurs swivels the wrong way. Part of
the bracket then blocks the wheel slot.

cheers, rorschandt

--

May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or
far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let none by
anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over and
protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

Mike,

You betcha I've had the same problem. Had the bike for a year before my trans-Am, and it was always
problematic getting the axle (right side) into the drop. When my bike came back from FL via FedEx, I
couldn't get it in at all. Took it to the shop and they pried open the drop just enough. But when I
next had to remove the tire, it was still hard to remount the wheel. I think someone should tell
EasyRacers about this problem, since it seems to be more than an isolated incident.

Steve

Mike Rice wrote:

>Help!
>
>My Tour Easy arrived today, and I had to go to work (second shift this week) before I could put it
>together. Now that I'm home I've had a chance to get it mostly done.
>
>But I'm having a real problem trying to get the rear wheel on! It seems like the axle(?) of the
>rear hub is too large to fit into the dropout. Any TE folks out there know what I'm refering? I
>know the whell has to come off & on easier than this...
>
>Mike Rice
>
>

--
Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA http://members.cox.net/steve.fox

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:09:35 -0500, rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:

>> If the rear derailleur is in place, try removing it before offering the wheel up to the
>> drop outs.
>>
>
>This may work. Sometimes a bracket that is behind some derailleurs swivels the wrong way. Part of
>the bracket then blocks the wheel slot.
>
>cheers, rorschandt

In this case the wheel won't enter the slot when *not* blocked.

Mike Rice

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:56:01 -0700, Steve Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike,
>
>You betcha I've had the same problem. Had the bike for a year before my trans-Am, and it was always
>problematic getting the axle (right side) into the drop. When my bike came back from FL via FedEx,
>I couldn't get it in at all. Took it to the shop and they pried open the drop just enough. But when
>I next had to remove the tire, it was still hard to remount the wheel. I think someone should tell
>EasyRacers about this problem, since it seems to be more than an isolated incident.
>
>Steve

Steve,

I'm going to call EasyRacers today. Sorry to here you had the same problem, but glad I'm not the
onlyest one! I think the box must've been dropped & the dropout got pinched shut. Probably would be
even worse if the block of wood hadn't been inserted in the dropout for shippping. It was rough
getting that wood out, I'll tell you!

After wrestling with the wheel for quite a while I was able to lock it on, but 90 percent out of the
slot, if I wrere to engage the rear brake it would mangle spokes in the present position. Guess I'll
tie the wheel in place so it doesn't vibrate off and transport it to the local bike shop for a
little prying. After talking to EasyRacers, that
is.

Mike Rice

>
>Mike Rice wrote:
>
>>Help!
>>
>>My Tour Easy arrived today, and I had to go to work (second shift this week) before I could put it
>>together. Now that I'm home I've had a chance to get it mostly done.
>>
>>But I'm having a real problem trying to get the rear wheel on! It seems like the axle(?) of the
>>rear hub is too large to fit into the dropout. Any TE folks out there know what I'm refering? I
>>know the whell has to come off & on easier than this...
>>
>>Mike Rice
>

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:36:21 +0900, Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:39:27 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
>>If the rear derailleur is in place, try removing it before offering the wheel up to the drop outs.
>
>Are you saying you should remove the derailleur every time you remove/reinstall the wheel?
>
>Ken Ken Kobayashi

That *shouldn't* be neccessary, eh? And removing the derailer doesn't help this at all...

Mike
>[email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Just called EasyRacers and spoke to Gardner. He said they've had cases where the rear dropout
was actully crushed flat by the 'shipping guerrillas. He also correctly surmised that the
small positioning screws at the back of the dropout might have been bent (no pun) when the box
got dropped.

He advised me to get a pry bar or large scewdriver, or whatever & open the slot up enough to accept
the wheel. This is what I had decided to do, but thought I should speak to the company before prying
on the unit.

Mike Rice

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Just called EasyRacers and spoke to Gardner. He said they've had cases where the rear dropout was
> actully crushed flat by the 'shipping guerrillas. He also correctly surmised that the small
> positioning screws at the back of the dropout might have been bent (no pun) when the box got
> dropped.
>
> He advised me to get a pry bar or large scewdriver, or whatever & open the slot up enough to
> accept the wheel. This is what I had decided to do, but thought I should speak to the company
> before prying on the unit.
>
> Mike Rice
>
On a $2000 bike? Can't you file claim with the shipper?
--

"John Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> On a $2000 bike? Can't you file claim with the shipper?
>
I shipped a bike cross country and the same thing happened to it that happened to Mike's TE. I
bought insurance with UPS when I shipped it. According to my west coast buyer UPS never looked at
the bike or the packing, but denied the claim based on improper packing. Their reasoning was if it
had been properly packed the damage would never have occurred. Fortunately all it needed was a bit
of prying to fix it.

Anyone ever get UPS to pay a claim?

skip

yes, I did it. they use a second hand insurer for claims. they tried the improper packing deal, but
luckily i had shipped at their customer counter, and they had a "no seal carton" policy, where they
inspected it then sealed it. It is a bunch of horse **** how they charge for extra insurance then
jerk around on the claims end. FEd Ex ground is a lot cheaper.

skip wrote:
> "John Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>
>>On a $2000 bike? Can't you file claim with the shipper?
>>
>
> I shipped a bike cross country and the same thing happened to it that happened to Mike's TE. I
> bought insurance with UPS when I shipped it. According to my west coast buyer UPS never looked at
> the bike or the packing, but denied the claim based on improper packing. Their reasoning was if it
> had been properly packed the damage would never have occurred. Fortunately all it needed was a bit
> of prying to fix it.
>
> Anyone ever get UPS to pay a claim?
>
> skip

>
> skip
>
>
Not for a bike, but back in the 70's and 80's I built and sold stringed instruments, shipping almost
all of them via UPS. In the 12 years I used UPS, I had 2 claims against them for shipping damage and
they promptly paid up for both claims.

epilog: One of the instruments that I recieved a damage payment on eventually came back to me a few
years later. It seems that UPS has auctions of damaged goods where you can bid on all these guitars,
bouzouki's (in my case,) crushed toasters, broken TV's, etc. After a year or so of sitting in some
warehouse until the next auction, someone bought my damaged-in-transit bouzouki for $25.00 (!!!)
and, seeing my label inside, sent it back to me for repair. So I put a new top on it for a
discounted fee and sent it back. I think its still being played in an Irish band around Atlanta.

'course, UPS may have changed their claims policy since then.

rich, looking forward to a breezy 30 miler tomorrow, along the Kankakee River

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> "John Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On a $2000 bike? Can't you file claim with the shipper?
> >
> I shipped a bike cross country and the same thing happened to it that happened to Mike's TE. I
> bought insurance with UPS when I shipped it. According to my west coast buyer UPS never looked at
> the bike or the packing, but denied the claim based on improper packing. Their reasoning was if it
> had been properly packed the damage would never have occurred. Fortunately all it needed was a bit
> of prying to fix it.
>
>
> skip
>
>
>

Yep, I did. I shipped a Fender guitar amp cross country via UPS 3 day. It arrived late and damaged.
The amp was double boxed and I didn't think an angry gorilla could have damaged it. They refunded
the freght charges because of their 3 ay guarantee and paid for repairs.

My RANS Stratus arrived via UPS and the box was badly damaged. The rear dropouts were actually
sticking out of the end of the box, but were undamaged. The driver apologized for the condition of
the box and actually waited while I checked the bike frame. Luckily, I didn't need to file claim.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.