My training schedule; types of intervals to do?

ridestrong

Jul 14, 2004
First, some background: Early last year, I did mostly running to train for a half marathon in early May. At the end of May, I showed up for my first-ever group ride (local Tuesday night simulated race) and was dropped. I rode hard for a couple weeks, learned some basic tactics, and then hung on to the group for the rest of the summer on the Tuesday night "races" of ~35 miles. Tuesday nights were my toughest workout, and I rode a 22 mile loop--alternating easy/hard days, with longer riding on the weekend. In total, I usually rode 5 days and 120-150 miles per week. I did a few CAT5/citizens races and finished near the front in all of them.

On to this year: I have joined a team, ridden more over the winter, and am in much better shape than at this point last year. I just got my CAT5 license, but I'd like to be at a competitive CAT3 level by the end of the year.

The training I'd like to stick to is this:
Monday: Rest or easy 1hr
Tuesday: 2hrs; w/short, intense intervals
Wednesday: 1hr recovery
Thursday: 2hrs; longer (LT?) intervals
Friday: Rest or easy 1hr
Saturday and Sunday: 2-3.5hrs each day group ride/race/hills?

I think these times will work well to get in 10-12hrs of quality riding. Also, I feel that I'm good at disciplining myself to go hard as well as listening to when my body needs rest.

What I need is some more structure. I have a heart monitor on the way, but have never used one. I'm not sure what types/lengths/#sets of intervals to do. Another thing is that Thursday's are group rides with the team, and soon Tuesday's will be the local training race, and Saturday/Sunday group rides are available through April. I don't know how best to incorporate my goals with the group rides.

Lastly, I will probably be racing every other weekend and start including sprint work at some point.

Sorry this is so long, but I'd love to hear some feedback from those with more experience!

If it helps this is what i do on weeks where I am not racing:

Monday - 1.5 hr recovery (race sunday)
Tuesday - 3 hr ride including 3/4 sets of 3/4 x 30 second L6 intervals (30 second rest between each one)
Wednesday - 3 hr ride including 5 x 5 min intervals at VO2 max
Thursday 2 hr ride including - 2 x 20 @ L4, or 1 x 40.....
Friday - REST
Saturday - warm up for sunday - usually by riding a club race
Sunday - RACE

so there are 3 sorts of intervals - 30 seconds, 5 minutes and 20 minutes. I start the week with the tougher ones, and work towards the easier ones, looking forward to the rest day. Always take a period of active recovery equal to the "on" part of the interval. so the 5 minute intervals is 5 mins hard, 5 mins easy, 5 mins hard, 5 mins easy etc.

for the 30 second and the 5 mins I try to spin a very high cadence - 100-110 rpm, as this is what happens in a race.

BullGod said:
so there are 3 sorts of intervals - 30 seconds, 5 minutes and 20 minutes. I start the week with the tougher ones, and work towards the easier ones, looking forward to the rest day. Always take a period of active recovery equal to the "on" part of the interval. so the 5 minute intervals is 5 mins hard, 5 mins easy, 5 mins hard, 5 mins easy etc.

for the 30 second and the 5 mins I try to spin a very high cadence - 100-110 rpm, as this is what happens in a race.
I also include a different L6 interval - 2 minutes at 135%. They are such a bear that I have to take at least 5 minutes rest in between.

workingguy said:
I also include a different L6 interval - 2 minutes at 135%. They are such a bear that I have to take at least 5 minutes rest in between.
yeah. I did those, plus some 6 (1min @140% FTP+ 1min rest) in the 2 weeks before racing started. You're right - they really hurt and take some time to recover from. I have been advised by TiMan that you only need to do these for a few weeks of the year as and when required. I don't think those kind of brutal efforts should be done routinely....

the 2 minute ones suck!