My turkey dressing is going to be great!!!

jillie

Guest
This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.

It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.

Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
dressing for Thursday.

Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.

jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
cranberry relish sandwich right now)

Roseville, CA

"jillie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
> pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
>
> It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
>
> Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
> dressing for Thursday.
>
> Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
>
> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
> cranberry relish sandwich right now)
>
> Roseville, CA

Great Idea!

Thanks - What setting? French?

Dimitri

"jillie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
> pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
>
> It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
>
> Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
> dressing for Thursday.
>
> Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
>
> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
> cranberry relish sandwich right now)
>
> Roseville, CA

Great Idea!

Thanks - What setting? French?

Dimitri

it sounds wonderful, your guests are in for a special treat... happy
t-day.

- sha sha

--
until He comes....

Fine Dining Gourmet Recipes
http://www.finedinings.com
[email protected]
Peggy Bucholz

Jillie wrote:

> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
> cranberry relish sandwich right now)
>
> Roseville, CA

Where should I bring it?

Bob

Jillie wrote:

> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
> cranberry relish sandwich right now)
>
> Roseville, CA

Where should I bring it?

Bob

jillie wrote:

> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
> cranberry relish sandwich right now)

Great example of the law of supply and demand. By this weekend no one
would pay more than 99 cents. -aem

jillie wrote:
> This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
> pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
>
> It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
>
> Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
> dressing for Thursday.
>
> Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
>
> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
> cranberry relish sandwich right now)
>
> Roseville, CA

Jillie, If I could get it to you, I would make just such a sandwich
for you. Not that I have any of the ingredients, no left over turkey,
no dressing and no cranberry sauce, but I would find everything at
Agata & Valentina, a gourmet shop in the neighborhood. Then I would
open a bottle of good red wine and share it with you, while you enjoy
the sandwich. What kind of bread did you bake for your stuffing?
White?

I miss you. What year was it we went to Lake Tahoe? It seems like a
lifetime ago. :eek:(

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

In article <[email protected]>,
"jillie" <[email protected]> wrote:

> This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
> pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
>
> It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
>
> Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
> dressing for Thursday.
>
> Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
>
> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
> cranberry relish sandwich right now)
>
> Roseville, CA

Ixnay on using it for the essing-dray. Use it for Thursday night's cold
turkey sammiches.

I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread for the
express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish. Can you say
Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry? Kellogg's? :)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

jillie wrote:

> This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
> pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry
> seasoning.
>
> It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
>
> Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
> dressing for Thursday.

I would urge you not to toast your fresh, really lovely sounding bread.
I have on occasion purchased a loaf of artichoke bread from a local pub
and have used it to make a superlative dressing, but by toasting your
highly flavoured bread you are going to loose much of its flavour in the
toasting.

Use it un-toasted either by putting in a food processor and roughly
chopping or simply cut into medium dice with a knife. Then when you add
stock, or any other liquid, egg and the butter from the sautéed onions
and celery you will mix it all together in to a lightly or highly moist
stuffing along with any other ingredients you choose to use. Personaly
i prefere a rather homoginized, solid dressing rather than a chunky or
fluffy one, i like a moist dense dresing over a drier, fluffier dressing

You might experiment with toasting a small amount of the bread and
proceeding as you intend to do, then make both the stuffing for the bird
and any extra dressing baked in a bowl, toped with a bit of grated
cheese.

Given the bread you are going to use it will probably be good if you
toast it but it will be better, IMO, if you do not toast it first.
---
JL

aem wrote:

> Great example of the law of supply and demand. By this weekend no one
> would pay more than 99 cents. -aem

Almost no one. I'll pay the standard amount, since my
daughter doesn't like turkey.... :-(

--
Jean B.

"jillie" <[email protected]> wrote

> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
> cranberry relish sandwich right now)

I know just what you mean, jillie, and I was once in that
position while all others around me ate beautiful delicious
turkey sandwiches, piled high, and I made do with chips.

I would have paid for a turkey sandwich. 100 bucks, easy.

nancy

Since baking bread in a bread machine is no trouble at all, I'll
probably make a couple more loves before Thursday. Think I'll do one
with the same seasonings I used today..just cutting down on the
amount..to use for sandwiches and one loaf of WW for those who prefer
that.

Joseph, I like a moist, dense dressing, too, but think toasting the
bread adds another flavor to the mix. Maybe I'll toast the plain ol'
bread I'll be using and not toast my lovely pepper bread. I make LOTS
of dressing, so one loaf is not near enough.

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I cooked some fresh cranberries.
They are so good that the two of us have eaten the whole bowl, already.
I've always made a cranberry/citrus/nut thingy and the kids liked
canned sauce. Don't know why I tried them, yesterday, but I went to
the store, again, today and bought 6 bags of cranberries to throw in
the freezer. They will not be just for Thanksgiving at our house.

Margaret, I can't remember when we had our wonderful week together. In
some ways, it feels like yesterday and in others it seems a lifetime
ago.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all...
This group is one of the top things on my list of things I'm thankful
for..

jillie
Roseville, CA

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:39:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> "jillie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
>> pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
>>
>> It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
>>
>> Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
>> dressing for Thursday.
>>
>> Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
>>
>> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
>> cranberry relish sandwich right now)
>>
>> Roseville, CA

>Ixnay on using it for the essing-dray. Use it for Thursday night's cold
>turkey sammiches.
>
>I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread for the
>express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish. Can you say
>Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry? Kellogg's? :)

I think it's weirder to pay $2.99/bag for a 7-oz bag of dried bread
cubes -- the going price at the local Albertsons!

TammyM

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (TammyM) wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:39:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread for the
> >express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish. Can you say
> >Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry? Kellogg's? :)

> I think it's weirder to pay $2.99/bag for a 7-oz bag of dried bread
> cubes -- the going price at the local Albertsons!
>
> TammyM

Jeez, that seems steep. If it were me, I'd be drying Wonder bread -
actually, I would have cubed it last week and let it sit to air-dry.
--

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> [email protected] (TammyM) wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:39:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

> > > I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread
> > > for the express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish.
> > > Can you say Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry?
> > > Kellogg's? :)

> > I think it's weirder to pay $2.99/bag for a 7-oz bag of dried bread
> > cubes -- the going price at the local Albertsons!
> >
> > TammyM

> Jeez, that seems steep. If it were me, I'd be drying Wonder bread -
> actually, I would have cubed it last week and let it sit to air-dry.

Aldi's white bread is 49 cents a loaf, which I think is cheaper than
anything at day-old-baked-goods stores.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:30:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (TammyM) wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:39:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread for the
>> >express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish. Can you say
>> >Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry? Kellogg's? :)

>> I think it's weirder to pay $2.99/bag for a 7-oz bag of dried bread
>> cubes -- the going price at the local Albertsons!
>>
>> TammyM

>Jeez, that seems steep. If it were me, I'd be drying Wonder bread -
>actually, I would have cubed it last week and let it sit to air-dry.

'zactly. Or making it in the ABM which is even cheapuh!

TammyM, parsimonious

"jillie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
> cranberry relish sandwich right now)
>
> Roseville, CA

I have some smoked turkey we made on Saturday, or was that Sunday? (drunken
weekend, sorry). Anyway, would that work? Got a nice rye bread, too.

kili