My turkey dressing is going to be great!!!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jillie, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. jillie

    jillie Guest

    This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
    pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.

    It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.

    Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
    dressing for Thursday.

    Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.

    jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    cranberry relish sandwich right now)

    Roseville, CA

    Tags:

  2. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "jillie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
    > pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
    >
    > It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
    >
    > Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
    > dressing for Thursday.
    >
    > Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
    >
    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >
    > Roseville, CA

    Great Idea!

    Thanks - What setting? French?

    Dimitri

  3. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "jillie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
    > pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
    >
    > It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
    >
    > Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
    > dressing for Thursday.
    >
    > Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
    >
    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >
    > Roseville, CA

    Great Idea!

    Thanks - What setting? French?

    Dimitri

  4. sha sha

    sha sha Guest

    it sounds wonderful, your guests are in for a special treat... happy
    t-day.

    - sha sha

    --
    until He comes....

    Fine Dining Gourmet Recipes
    http://www.finedinings.com
    [email protected]
    Peggy Bucholz

    "jillie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
    > pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
    >
    > It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
    >
    > Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
    > dressing for Thursday.
    >
    > Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
    >
    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >
    > Roseville, CA

  5. sha sha

  6. Jillie wrote:

    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >
    > Roseville, CA

    Where should I bring it?

    Bob

  7. Jillie wrote:

    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >
    > Roseville, CA

    Where should I bring it?

    Bob

  8. aem

    aem Guest

    jillie wrote:

    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)

    Great example of the law of supply and demand. By this weekend no one
    would pay more than 99 cents. -aem

  9. aem

    aem Guest

  10. jillie wrote:
    > This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
    > pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
    >
    > It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
    >
    > Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
    > dressing for Thursday.
    >
    > Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
    >
    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >
    > Roseville, CA

    Jillie, If I could get it to you, I would make just such a sandwich
    for you. Not that I have any of the ingredients, no left over turkey,
    no dressing and no cranberry sauce, but I would find everything at
    Agata & Valentina, a gourmet shop in the neighborhood. Then I would
    open a bottle of good red wine and share it with you, while you enjoy
    the sandwich. What kind of bread did you bake for your stuffing?
    White?

    I miss you. What year was it we went to Lake Tahoe? It seems like a
    lifetime ago. :eek:(

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "jillie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
    > pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
    >
    > It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
    >
    > Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
    > dressing for Thursday.
    >
    > Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
    >
    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >
    > Roseville, CA

    Ixnay on using it for the essing-dray. Use it for Thursday night's cold
    turkey sammiches.

    I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread for the
    express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish. Can you say
    Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry? Kellogg's? :)
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

  12. jillie wrote:

    > This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
    > pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry
    > seasoning.
    >
    > It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
    >
    > Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
    > dressing for Thursday.

    I would urge you not to toast your fresh, really lovely sounding bread.
    I have on occasion purchased a loaf of artichoke bread from a local pub
    and have used it to make a superlative dressing, but by toasting your
    highly flavoured bread you are going to loose much of its flavour in the
    toasting.

    Use it un-toasted either by putting in a food processor and roughly
    chopping or simply cut into medium dice with a knife. Then when you add
    stock, or any other liquid, egg and the butter from the sautéed onions
    and celery you will mix it all together in to a lightly or highly moist
    stuffing along with any other ingredients you choose to use. Personaly
    i prefere a rather homoginized, solid dressing rather than a chunky or
    fluffy one, i like a moist dense dresing over a drier, fluffier dressing

    You might experiment with toasting a small amount of the bread and
    proceeding as you intend to do, then make both the stuffing for the bird
    and any extra dressing baked in a bowl, toped with a bit of grated
    cheese.

    Given the bread you are going to use it will probably be good if you
    toast it but it will be better, IMO, if you do not toast it first.
    ---
    JL

    > Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
    >
    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >
    > Roseville, CA

  13. Jean B.

    Jean B. Guest

    aem wrote:

    > Great example of the law of supply and demand. By this weekend no one
    > would pay more than 99 cents. -aem

    Almost no one. I'll pay the standard amount, since my
    daughter doesn't like turkey.... :-(

    --
    Jean B.

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "jillie" <[email protected]> wrote

    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)

    I know just what you mean, jillie, and I was once in that
    position while all others around me ate beautiful delicious
    turkey sandwiches, piled high, and I made do with chips.

    I would have paid for a turkey sandwich. 100 bucks, easy.

    nancy

  15. jillie

    jillie Guest

    Since baking bread in a bread machine is no trouble at all, I'll
    probably make a couple more loves before Thursday. Think I'll do one
    with the same seasonings I used today..just cutting down on the
    amount..to use for sandwiches and one loaf of WW for those who prefer
    that.

    Joseph, I like a moist, dense dressing, too, but think toasting the
    bread adds another flavor to the mix. Maybe I'll toast the plain ol'
    bread I'll be using and not toast my lovely pepper bread. I make LOTS
    of dressing, so one loaf is not near enough.

    Yesterday, for the first time ever, I cooked some fresh cranberries.
    They are so good that the two of us have eaten the whole bowl, already.
    I've always made a cranberry/citrus/nut thingy and the kids liked
    canned sauce. Don't know why I tried them, yesterday, but I went to
    the store, again, today and bought 6 bags of cranberries to throw in
    the freezer. They will not be just for Thanksgiving at our house.

    Margaret, I can't remember when we had our wonderful week together. In
    some ways, it feels like yesterday and in others it seems a lifetime
    ago.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you all...
    This group is one of the top things on my list of things I'm thankful
    for..

    jillie
    Roseville, CA

  16. TammyM

    TammyM Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:39:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "jillie" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> This morning, I made bread in my breadmaker and put in lots of black
    >> pepper, some onion powder, some celery seed and some poultry seasoning.
    >>
    >> It just finished baking and smells WONDERFUL.
    >>
    >> Tomorrow or Wed, I will slice it and toast it and use it to make the
    >> dressing for Thursday.
    >>
    >> Hope it turns out as well as I think it will.
    >>
    >> jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    >> cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >>
    >> Roseville, CA

    >Ixnay on using it for the essing-dray. Use it for Thursday night's cold
    >turkey sammiches.
    >
    >I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread for the
    >express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish. Can you say
    >Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry? Kellogg's? :)

    I think it's weirder to pay $2.99/bag for a 7-oz bag of dried bread
    cubes -- the going price at the local Albertsons!

    TammyM

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (TammyM) wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:39:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread for the
    > >express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish. Can you say
    > >Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry? Kellogg's? :)

    > I think it's weirder to pay $2.99/bag for a 7-oz bag of dried bread
    > cubes -- the going price at the local Albertsons!
    >
    > TammyM

    Jeez, that seems steep. If it were me, I'd be drying Wonder bread -
    actually, I would have cubed it last week and let it sit to air-dry.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

  18. Dan Goodman

    Dan Goodman Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > [email protected] (TammyM) wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:39:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

    > > > I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread
    > > > for the express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish.
    > > > Can you say Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry?
    > > > Kellogg's? :)

    > > I think it's weirder to pay $2.99/bag for a 7-oz bag of dried bread
    > > cubes -- the going price at the local Albertsons!
    > >
    > > TammyM

    > Jeez, that seems steep. If it were me, I'd be drying Wonder bread -
    > actually, I would have cubed it last week and let it sit to air-dry.

    Aldi's white bread is 49 cents a loaf, which I think is cheaper than
    anything at day-old-baked-goods stores.

    --
    Dan Goodman
    Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/

  19. TammyM

    TammyM Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:30:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (TammyM) wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:39:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >I've done it myself, Jillie, but how weird is it to bake bread for the
    >> >express purpose of drying it out for use in another dish. Can you say
    >> >Pepperidge Farm? Catherine Clark Brownberry? Kellogg's? :)

    >> I think it's weirder to pay $2.99/bag for a 7-oz bag of dried bread
    >> cubes -- the going price at the local Albertsons!
    >>
    >> TammyM

    >Jeez, that seems steep. If it were me, I'd be drying Wonder bread -
    >actually, I would have cubed it last week and let it sit to air-dry.

    'zactly. Or making it in the ABM which is even cheapuh!

    TammyM, parsimonious

  20. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "jillie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > jillie (who would give $100 for a left over turkey, dressing, and
    > cranberry relish sandwich right now)
    >
    > Roseville, CA

    I have some smoked turkey we made on Saturday, or was that Sunday? (drunken
    weekend, sorry). Anyway, would that work? Got a nice rye bread, too.

    kili