My turn.......

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Eddie Dubourg, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Nipping down a hill, braking and turning into a junction, hit a patch of oil on the road (I didn't
    see it because it was early evening, and just darkening) - the bike just shot out sideways from
    underneath me, and I hit the tarmac at somewhere in the region of 25 mph - right elbow first,
    shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.

    A couple of nice policemen in a Panda who saw the wipeout came to help, which was nice, offered me
    antiseptic wipes, tools etc - at the time I didn't think it was too bad.

    At home, an hour later, I'm munching ibuprofen - when I took my fleece off at home I found my long
    sleeved tee-shirt was soaked in blood from the elbow down - I tore the skin (and bits underneath)
    off about 4 inches by 2 inches just below my elbow, I can't raise my arm because my shoulder is
    killing me, I've got road rash all up my right leg, I can't walk because of the pain in my hip, and
    my left thumb (I always hurt my left thumb for some reason) is useless - the bottom knuckle is
    somewhat larger than it should be.

    Still, I reckon I'll be back on the bike in a couple of days - it hurts less to cycle than walk.

    Take care out there guys...

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Nipping down a hill, braking and turning into a junction, hit a patch of
    oil
    > on the road (I didn't see it because it was early evening, and just darkening) - the bike just
    > shot out sideways from underneath me, and I hit the tarmac at somewhere in the region of 25 mph -
    > right elbow first, shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.

    Ouch!

    > A couple of nice policemen in a Panda who saw the wipeout came to help, which was nice, offered me
    > antiseptic wipes, tools etc - at the time I didn't think it was too bad.

    Are you sure they weren't sitting there, waiting for someone to turn up to clear the oil up ??... a
    mate of mine wiped out on a patch of oil on his motorbike, only to be approached by a couple of cops
    who informed him they were keeping an eye on it until the cleaners turned up. He was not amused that
    they had made no attempt to inform road users of the hazard | ¬(

    > At home, an hour later, I'm munching ibuprofen - when I took my fleece off at home I found my long
    > sleeved tee-shirt was soaked in blood from the
    elbow
    > down - I tore the skin (and bits underneath) off about 4 inches by 2
    inches
    > just below my elbow, I can't raise my arm because my shoulder is killing
    me,
    > I've got road rash all up my right leg, I can't walk because of the pain
    in
    > my hip, and my left thumb (I always hurt my left thumb for some reason) is useless - the bottom
    > knuckle is somewhat larger than it should be.
    >
    > Still, I reckon I'll be back on the bike in a couple of days - it hurts
    less
    > to cycle than walk.
    >
    > Take care out there guys...

    Marvellous invention, adrenalin, doncha think, huh ??

    Glad to hear you're alive and functioning fairly well. Hope it all gets better soon. If it'd
    have been a car that took all that smashin'n'bashin', it'd be a case of ' <sharp intake of
    breath>...oooh, that's gonna be abaht 500 nicker mate!!'..Don't you just love the way the
    human body's self maintenance system works ? ...bit of food, bit of air, bit of water and some
    sleep, sorted!

    Cheers, Dave.

  3. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:32:40 GMT, "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nipping down a hill, braking and turning into a junction, hit a patch of oil on the road (I didn't
    >see it because it was early evening, and just darkening) - the bike just shot out sideways from
    >underneath me, and I hit the tarmac at somewhere in the region of 25 mph - right elbow first,
    >shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.

    *Sharp intake of breath*

    Nasty. My left elbow, hip and knee send their commiserations to your right ones, they know just
    how it feels.

    I'd suggest an X-ray or two to be on the safe side, but the trauma of a 4 hour wait at A & E would
    be almost as bad as the crash. Take it easy, hope you feel better soon.

    Perhaps we should all start a uk.rec.cycling injury photo web page? It could be like the Jaws
    drinking scene in the boat... "pfft! call that a scar? Look at this!"

    Bob

  4. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Eddie Dubourg <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Nipping down a hill, braking and turning into a junction, hit a patch of
    oil
    > on the road (I didn't see it because it was early evening, and just darkening) - the bike just
    > shot out sideways from underneath me, and I hit the tarmac at somewhere in the region of 25 mph -
    > right elbow first, shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.
    >
    > A couple of nice policemen in a Panda who saw the wipeout came to help, which was nice, offered me
    > antiseptic wipes, tools etc - at the time I didn't think it was too bad.
    >
    > At home, an hour later, I'm munching ibuprofen - when I took my fleece off at home I found my long
    > sleeved tee-shirt was soaked in blood from the
    elbow
    > down - I tore the skin (and bits underneath) off about 4 inches by 2
    inches
    > just below my elbow, I can't raise my arm because my shoulder is killing
    me,
    > I've got road rash all up my right leg, I can't walk because of the pain
    in
    > my hip, and my left thumb (I always hurt my left thumb for some reason) is useless - the bottom
    > knuckle is somewhat larger than it should be.
    >
    > Still, I reckon I'll be back on the bike in a couple of days - it hurts
    less
    > to cycle than walk.
    >
    > Take care out there guys...

    For goodness sake, go to Casualty. Now! Sounds like you may have a broken clavical & goodness knows
    what you may have done to your hip & thumb.

    Russell

  5. Ouchie! You need someone to spoon feed you ice cream :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. >For goodness sake, go to Casualty. Now! Sounds like you may have a broken clavical & goodness knows
    >what you may have done to your hip & thumb.

    Yes, Auntie Helen agrees - a trip to A&E or your local doc as an emergency case (see him/her this
    morning) to get checked out would be a good idea.

    Cheers, Auntie helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Eddie Dubourg wrote:
    > hit a patch of oil

    Aye - sympathies, having been there and collected the road rash (and been carted to hospital in
    a neck brace - lying there mentally collecting body parts, I was surrounded by first an
    off-duty nurse, then a cyclist paramedic in rapid succession) Worse of all I abraded through my
    Goretex (*sob*)

    R.

  8. >Worse of all I abraded through my Goretex (*sob*)

    Ah yes, Vernon abraded through his favourite cycle jersey. I am under orders to repair it.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  9. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    > Are you sure they weren't sitting there, waiting for someone to turn up to clear the oil up ??...
    > a mate of mine wiped out on a patch of oil on his motorbike, only to be approached by a couple of
    > cops who informed him they were keeping an eye on it until the cleaners turned up. He was not
    > amused that they had made no attempt to inform road users of the hazard | ¬(

    Neither would I have been. What a pair of useless blockheads! Reminds me of an Andy Capp cartoon
    from years ago. Florrie comes in and says to Andy, "I thought I told you to watch when the milk
    boiled over."

    "I did," says Andy; "it was 'alf past two."

    > Glad to hear you're alive and functioning fairly well. Hope it all gets better soon.

    Me too.

    > Don't you just love the way the human body's self maintenance system works ?

    Yes it's brilliant. Still a good idea to give it a helping hand though by popping down to casualty
    so they can align the broken ends for you.

    --
    Dave...

  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:32:40 GMT, "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >right elbow first, shoulder next, then my head, then right knee, and then my right thigh.

    I'm most impressed you are able to recall the bang, smack, ouch order of things.

    >I can't raise my arm because my shoulder is killing me, I've got road rash all up my right leg, I
    >can't walk because of the pain in my hip, and my left thumb (I always hurt my left thumb for some
    >reason) is useless - the bottom knuckle is somewhat larger than it should be.

    Eddie, as others have already said, do please go to calamity - sorry, casualty - to get both your
    shoulder and thumb checked out.

    Strange things thumbs. I always used to trash both of mine when I used to ski. Two hours skiing even
    without falls = pain.

    To repeat myself, do go to A&E. There may be nothing wrong with your shoulder, collar bone or thumb
    but there's no point in not going.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  11. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >For goodness sake, go to Casualty. Now! Sounds like you may have a broken clavical & goodness
    > >knows what you may have done to your hip & thumb.
    >
    > Yes, Auntie Helen agrees - a trip to A&E or your local doc as an emergency
    case
    > (see him/her this morning) to get checked out would be a good idea.

    Many thanks for the good wishes - I visited the local quack yesterday (only 3 hrs wait!), nothing
    broken, torn ligaments in my shoulder, hyperextended thumb, and "traumatic abrasions and
    contusions".

    "Take two codeine, and if you're not better go see you family doctor......"

    All the best