My U.S. Girlfriend Blasts Bush

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
I had a letter from an old girlfriend who lives in North Carolina. I think she used to support George W Bush in the past but has now been shaken over his handling of Katrina (same as Wurm). With her permission, I figured I'd share some of what she wrote me in her latest letter. She's pretty damned mad and states:

"Bush may have lost alot of support, esp. after Not firing Michael Brown , the head of Fema. That guy should have been fired, day one.
If they got everything wrong with a hurricane and it's aftermath...God forbid if we had another terrorist attack...I don't even want to think about it. The whole administration really f_____ this one up. I trust our government even less now than I did before this mess. I am so ashamed that the world is seeing our government so messed up. It's really embarrassing.
There are alot of people from New Orleans...Harry Connick Jr., John Goodman, Fats Domino, Ellen DeGenerous. More , but I can't think of them right now.
You know , it isn't only New Orleans , but Mississippi got slammed, too. Houses over a hundred years old , are now a pile of wood.
But you know, we knew for decades that the levee's were not going to hold back the water with a category 4-5 hurricane. Three people in the New Orleans government went to jail for misappropriating funds. They were given millions to correct the problem years ago.
I think heads should roll. Some how I just don't think it's going to happen. The first should be Mike Brown, head of Fema !!!!!!"

Carrera said:
I had a letter from an old girlfriend who lives in North Carolina. I think she used to support George W Bush in the past but has now been shaken over his handling of Katrina (same as Wurm). With her permission, I figured I'd share some of what she wrote me in her latest letter. She's pretty damned mad and states:

"Bush may have lost alot of support, esp. after Not firing Michael Brown , the head of Fema. That guy should have been fired, day one.
If they got everything wrong with a hurricane and it's aftermath...God forbid if we had another terrorist attack...I don't even want to think about it. The whole administration really f_____ this one up. I trust our government even less now than I did before this mess. I am so ashamed that the world is seeing our government so messed up. It's really embarrassing.
There are alot of people from New Orleans...Harry Connick Jr., John Goodman, Fats Domino, Ellen DeGenerous. More , but I can't think of them right now.
You know , it isn't only New Orleans , but Mississippi got slammed, too. Houses over a hundred years old , are now a pile of wood.
But you know, we knew for decades that the levee's were not going to hold back the water with a category 4-5 hurricane. Three people in the New Orleans government went to jail for misappropriating funds. They were given millions to correct the problem years ago.
I think heads should roll. Some how I just don't think it's going to happen. The first should be Mike Brown, head of Fema !!!!!!"
Mike Brown , the head of Fema has resigned. Emotions run high when stressful things happen. To have fired Mike Brown on the first day would have caused a breakdown in Fema when they least needed one.
I read where you wrote that 3 people went to jail ....... So at one point someone did appropiate funds and they were mis-used.
A lot of people think the Feds should have rushed right into New Orleans. But we have laws "against" that. The Feds must be asked in to an individual state . And the feds asked and were told that they would not be needed. And if they Feds did go in ......And it turned out to be a false alarm, then everyone would be screaming at Bush right now about how he "uses the Feds to push his agenda."
The situation is bad down there. But New Orleans was a situation ready to happen at any time. Hurricaines are just that ......."Hurricaines." I shake my head when I watch the millionaires homes in California slide down a mud cliff when a major rain hits ....... And then they start wailing about "poor me." What the media should be focused on in the California situation is the total lack of common sense.....
I believe my tax money should be used to help the people of New Orleans get re-established. But I do not want my tax money to re-build New Orleans in the same spot if this situation can occur again. They have the right to re-build in the same location, but they should do so at their own risk.

Carrera said:

Hey crapera, I'm glad she's your ex...Obviously not dealing with a full deck there...Let's see..She's mad at Bush because the local governent screwed the pooch....ah.....right.....

That's a valid point about rebuilding. Maybe the only way that could be done would be to fortify the area with huge dams if possible.
My own take on this situation in New Orleans is, first and foremost, that it was a tragedy. The impression I got over here when they first started to cover the hurricane was that people were hoping the damage wouldn't be quite so bad. But later it turned out that the hurricane had flattened a major city.
I think from my girlfriend's perspective (like many Americans a former Bush supporter) she feels angry over those images of her own countrymen seen throughout the globe as refugees. I'm aware the situation has now picked up somewhat and aid is pouring into the area, but Bush seemed slow and incompetent at the beginning.
What also annoys my friend in Carolina is that Bush seems to be spending so much time and money on Iraq while the issue of poverty in the U.S. has been ignored. Katrina somehow exposed some of this poverty on our T.V. screens and revealed all the inequalities in southern states. She seems to be one of the growing number of Americans who are getting tired of winning wars abroad while losing the one at home.
She's still pretty mad at present.

wolfix said:
Mike Brown , the head of Fema has resigned. Emotions run high when stressful things happen. To have fired Mike Brown on the first day would have caused a breakdown in Fema when they least needed one.
I read where you wrote that 3 people went to jail ....... So at one point someone did appropiate funds and they were mis-used.
A lot of people think the Feds should have rushed right into New Orleans. But we have laws "against" that. The Feds must be asked in to an individual state . And the feds asked and were told that they would not be needed. And if they Feds did go in ......And it turned out to be a false alarm, then everyone would be screaming at Bush right now about how he "uses the Feds to push his agenda."
The situation is bad down there. But New Orleans was a situation ready to happen at any time. Hurricaines are just that ......."Hurricaines." I shake my head when I watch the millionaires homes in California slide down a mud cliff when a major rain hits ....... And then they start wailing about "poor me." What the media should be focused on in the California situation is the total lack of common sense.....
I believe my tax money should be used to help the people of New Orleans get re-established. But I do not want my tax money to re-build New Orleans in the same spot if this situation can occur again. They have the right to re-build in the same location, but they should do so at their own risk.

Carrera said:

Funny,..just got this from my ex girlfriend today...:

Dear Zap,

I really can’t believe f%$4ing Clinton is ranting about the poor in New Orleans when he is charging 15,000 per seat to attend an upcoming conference on solving global poverty…. One, why isn’t he focused on the poverty here in the U.S. and Two, How dare he charge so much money at a non-profit event to solve POVERTY for goodness sakes…He really pisses me off. I’m so glad that GWB is President for I couldn’t take much more of Billary’s hypocritical bullsh#@t!!

You mean there's an ex Miss Flappy Flapkins sending letters? :)
I did actually point out to Wurm that I'd not heard the Democrats warn Bush to evacuate New Orleans at the time. Whether they did or not I don't know.
I don't approve of Bush as president but I tend to stop short of blasting him for Katrina as directly responsible, that is till I know more.
However, it is true that he should have paid more attention to solving these problems at home than interfering in Iraq.

zapper said:
Funny,..just got this from my ex girlfriend today...:

Dear Zap,

I really can’t believe f%$4ing Clinton is ranting about the poor in New Orleans when he is charging 15,000 per seat to attend an upcoming conference on solving global poverty…. One, why isn’t he focused on the poverty here in the U.S. and Two, How dare he charge so much money at a non-profit event to solve POVERTY for goodness sakes…He really pisses me off. I’m so glad that GWB is President for I couldn’t take much more of Billary’s hypocritical bullsh#@t!!

Carrera said:
You mean there's an ex Miss Flappy Flapkins sending letters? :)
I did actually point out to Wurm that I'd not heard the Democrats warn Bush to evacuate New Orleans at the time. Whether they did or not I don't know.
I don't approve of Bush as president but I tend to stop short of blasting him for Katrina as directly responsible, that is till I know more.
However, it is true that he should have paid more attention to solving these problems at home than interfering in Iraq.
So Clinton should have paid more attention to New Orleans instead of interfering in Bosnia...Hell, then, we would have never had a problem...right mate?

By the way, folks, this is the best analysis of Bush's incompetency I ever read, written by George Soros. It's not about Katrina which is another issue but the whole handling of policy:
"I want to shout from the roof tops: "Wake up America. Don't you realize that we are being misled?" (George Soros)

"The destruction of the twin towers of the World Trade Center was such a horrendous event that it required a strong response. But the President committed a fundamental error in thinking: the fact that the terrorists are manifestly evil does not make whatever counter-actions we take automatically good. What we do to combat terrorism may also be wrong. Recognizing that we may be wrong is the foundation of an open society. President Bush admits no doubt and does not base his decisions on a careful weighing of reality. For 18 months after 9/11 he managed to suppress all dissent. That is how he could lead the nation so far in the wrong direction.

President Bush inadvertently played right into the hands of bin Laden. The invasion of Afghanistan was justified: that was where bin Laden lived and al Qaeda had its training camps. The invasion of Iraq was not similarly justified. It was President Bush's unintended gift to bin Laden.

War and occupation create innocent victims. We count the body bags of American soldiers; there have been more than 1000 in Iraq. The rest of the world also looks at the Iraqis who get killed daily. There have been 20 times more. Some were trying to kill our soldiers; far too many were totally innocent, including many women and children. Every innocent death helps the terrorists' cause by stirring anger against America and bringing them potential recruits.

Immediately after 9/11 there was a spontaneous outpouring of sympathy for us worldwide. It has given way to an equally widespread resentment. There are many more people willing to risk their lives to kill Americans than there were on September 11 and our security, far from improving as President Bush claims, is deteriorating. I am afraid that we have entered a vicious circle of escalating violence where our fears and their rage feed on each other. It is not a process that is likely to end any time soon. If we re-elect President Bush we are telling the world that we approve his policies - and we shall be at war for a long time to come.

I realize that what I am saying is bound to be unpopular. We are in the grip of a collective misconception induced by the trauma of 9/11, and fostered by the Bush administration. No politician could say it and hope to get elected. That is why I feel obliged to speak out. There is a widespread belief that President Bush is making us safe. The opposite is true. President Bush failed to finish off bin Laden when he was cornered in Afghanistan because he was gearing up to attack Iraq. And the invasion of Iraq bred more people willing to risk their lives against Americans than we are able to kill - generating the vicious circle I am talking about.

President Bush likes to insist that the terrorists hate us for what we are - a freedom loving people - not what we do. Well, he is wrong on that. He also claims that the torture scenes at Abu Graib prison were the work of a few bad apples. He is wrong on that too. They were part of a system of dealing with detainees put in place by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and our troops in Iraq are paying the price.

How could President Bush convince people that he is good for our security, better than John Kerry? By building on the fears generated by the collapse of the twin towers and fostering a sense of danger. At a time of peril, people rally around the flag and President Bush has exploited this. His campaign is based on the assumption that people do not really care about the truth and they will believe practically anything if it is repeated often enough, particularly by a President at a time of war. There must be something wrong with us if we fall for it. For instance, some 40% of the people still believe that Saddam Hussein was connected with 9/11 - although it is now definitely established by the 9/11 Commission, set up by the President and chaired by a Republican, that there was no connection. I want to shout from the roof tops: "Wake up America. Don't you realize that we are being misled?"

President Bush has used 9/11 to further his own agenda which has very little to do with fighting terrorism. There was an influential group within the Bush administration led by Vice President **** Cheney that was itching to invade Iraq long before 9/11. The terrorist attack gave them their chance. If you need a tangible proof why President Bush does not deserve to be re-elected, consider Iraq.

The war in Iraq was misconceived from start to finish -- if it has a finish. It is a war of choice, not necessity, in spite of what President Bush says. The arms inspections and sanctions were working. In response to American pressure, the United Nations had finally agreed on a strong stand. As long as the inspectors were on the ground, Saddam Hussein could not possibly pose a threat to our security. We could have declared victory but President Bush insisted on going to war.

We went to war on false pretences. The real reasons for going into Iraq have not been revealed to this day. The weapons of mass destruction could not be found, and the connection with al Qaeda could not be established. President Bush then claimed that we went to war to liberate the people of Iraq. All my experience in fostering democracy and open society has taught me that democracy cannot be imposed by military means. And, Iraq would be the last place I would chose for an experiment in introducing democracy - as the current chaos demonstrates.

Of course, Saddam was a tyrant, and of course Iraqis - and the rest of the world - can rejoice to be rid of him. But Iraqis now hate the American occupation. We stood idly by while Baghdad was ransacked. As the occupying power, we had an obligation to maintain law and order, but we failed to live up to it. If we had cared about the people of Iraq we should have had more troops available for the occupation than we needed for the invasion. We should have provided protection not only for the oil ministry but also the other ministries, museums and hospitals. Baghdad and the country's other cities were destroyed after we occupied them. When we encountered resistance, we employed methods that alienated and humiliated the population. The way we invaded homes, and the way we treated prisoners generated resentment and rage. Public opinion condemns us worldwide.

The number of flipflops and missteps committed by the Bush administration in Iraq far exceeds anything John Kerry can be accused of. First we dissolved the Iraqi army, then we tried to reconstitute it. First we tried to eliminate the Baathists, then we turned to them for help. First we installed General Jay Garner to run the country, then we gave it to Paul Bremer and when the insurgency became intractable, we installed an Iraqi government. The man we chose was a protégé of the CIA with the reputation of a strong man - a far cry from democracy. First we attacked Falluja over the objections of the Marine commander on the ground, then pulled them out when the assault was half-way through, again over his objections. "Once you commit, you got to stay committed," he said publicly. More recently, we started bombing Falluja again.

The Bush campaign is trying to put a favorable spin on it, but the situation in Iraq is dire. Much of the Western part of the country has been ceded to the insurgents. Even the so-called Green Zone (a small enclave in the center of Baghdad where Americans live and work) is subject to mortar attacks. The prospects of holding free and fair elections in January are fast receding and civil war looms. President Bush received a somber intelligence evaluation in July but he has kept it under wraps and failed to level with the electorate.

Bush's war in Iraq has done untold damage to the United States. It has impaired our military power and undermined the morale of our armed forces. Before the invasion of Iraq, we could project overwhelming power in any part of the world. We cannot do so any more because we are bogged down in Iraq. Afghanistan is slipping from our control. North Korea, Iran, Pakistan and other countries are pursuing nuclear programs with renewed vigor and many other problems remain unattended.

By invading Iraq without a second UN resolution, we violated international law. By mistreating and even torturing prisoners, we violated the Geneva conventions. President Bush has boasted that we do not need a permission slip from the international community, but our actions have endangered our security - particularly the security of our troops.

There are many other policies for which the Bush administration can be criticized but none are as important as Iraq. Iraq has cost us nearly 200 billion dollars -- an enormous sum. It could have been used much better elsewhere. The costs are going to mount because it was much easier to get into Iraq than it will be to get out of there. President Bush has been taunting John Kerry to explain how he would do things differently in Iraq. John Kerry has responded that he would have done everything differently and he would be in a better position to extricate us than the man who got us in there. But it won't be easy for him either, because we are caught in a quagmire.

It is a quagmire that many predicted. I predicted it in my book, The Bubble of American Supremacy. I was not alone: top military and diplomatic experts desperately warned the President not to invade Iraq. But he ignored their experienced advice. He suppressed the critical process. The discussion about

Iraq remains stilted even during this presidential campaign because of the notion that any criticism of our Commander-in-Chief puts our troops at risk. But this is Bush's war, and he ought to be held responsible for it. It's the wrong war, fought the wrong way. Step back for a moment from the cacophony of the election campaign and reflect: who got us into this mess? In spite of his Texas swagger, George W. Bush does not qualify to serve as our Commander-in-Chief.

Bosnia was a European crisis and most European countries wanted to see the carnage in that area stopped. There was more or less a common consensus. So, the U.S. had a reasonable alliance at the time. Only France wanted more diplomacy.
But the biggest mistake over Iraq (as Soros points out) was that Bush went to war on his own without a similar alliance. That has proved to be an expensive war and has allowed more dangerous countries such as Iran to step up the nuclear program.
But I was disappointed to hear Collin Powell say on TV that although he recognises the Iraq war to has been a mistake, he wouldn't pull out at this stage were he in power.

zapper said:
So Clinton should have paid more attention to New Orleans instead of interfering in Bosnia...Hell, then, we would have never had a problem...right mate?

zapper said:
Hey crapera, I'm glad she's your ex...Obviously not dealing with a full deck there...Let's see..She's mad at Bush because the local governent screwed the pooch....ah.....right.....

Zap, he didn't post that she was an ex girlfriend. He posted that she was old.
"Old girlfriend".
She may be a little over the hill so we should give her a little leeway on her opinions.

jhuskey said:
Zap, he didn't post that she was an ex girlfriend. He posted that she was old.
"Old girlfriend".
She may be a little over the hill so we should give her a little leeway on her opinions.
hEY...You're right.. but she still resides in N.C. can't see him carrying on a long distance relationship...but, he does seem rather fond of wurm..

Wrong, guys. Think about it ;)
There is no such thing as an "old girlfriend" since an "old girl" is a woman, correct?
Either you're a lass, a girl or an adult woman.
So, it's clear I meant "old" as "former period of time" :)

Carrera said:
Wrong, guys. Think about it ;)
There is no such thing as an "old girlfriend" since an "old girl" is a woman, correct?
Either you're a lass, a girl or an adult woman.
So, it's clear I meant "old" as "former period of time" :)

Sure there is such as "old woman" "old man" "old bike" " old man and the sea"; however I was just teasing Zapper a little bit.
No harm intended