My unassisted crash on Euclid Ave: How a bad ride ended even worse

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by [email protected], Aug 15, 2005.

  1. jet

    jet Guest

  2. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > More of a crash report than a ride report:
    >
    > http://www.steephill.tv/entries/euclid-spill/

    Hey Steve. Sorry to hear about your face plant, and sorrier that I had
    to see it. It's unfortunate that you felt compelled to vote the hard
    way in the "most accidents happen within five miles of home" ballot.

    I had a cycling sunglasses accident while skiing a few years back. I
    like them more than skiing goggles and they stay on better than my
    regular sunglasses. Same sort of slicing thing on the bridge of my
    nose. Wasn't hurt, couldn't tell where the blood was coming from,
    people avoiding the bloody skier.

    Don't forget to milk the sympathy. Semi-stifled moans in the middle of
    the night go a long way. ;)

  3. It doesn't look too bad right now, but I won't gross people out with
    more photos.The stitches come out tomorrow exactly six days from the
    date of the accident. That's the recommended time to avoid scarring but
    it seems difficult to believe I won't have a set of train tracks as a
    souvenir when it heals.

    see you out there,
    Steve

  4. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > It doesn't look too bad right now, but I won't gross people out with
    > more photos.The stitches come out tomorrow exactly six days from the
    > date of the accident. That's the recommended time to avoid scarring but
    > it seems difficult to believe I won't have a set of train tracks as a
    > souvenir when it heals.

    Don't worry, chicks love 'em. Just make a better story than oil from a
    truck took your bicycle out.

    I've been thinking about the whole unframed lenses thing. It's really
    nuts. There is no other outcome but that which you've experienced -
    cleanly sliced skin. It's almost like they were designed for it.
    Maybe Hincapie is on the right track with the over-sized frames after
    all...

  5. > Just make a better story than oil from a truck took your bicycle out.

    You're not the first one to make that suggestion. Many think I should
    substitute a good bar room brawl.

    > Maybe Hincapie is on the right track with the over-sized frames after all...

    I have really bad eyesight so I can't get prescription sportsglasses
    because the curvature I need. I've looked into before.

    Steve

  6. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > > Just make a better story than oil from a truck took your bicycle out.

    > You're not the first one to make that suggestion. Many think I should
    > substitute a good bar room brawl.

    If you wear a Stetson and frequently spit, that might be a good option.
    Otherwise you should have have something a little more colorful for
    your listening audience. How about you were trying to save a friend's
    pet alligator that escaped and was caught in a storm drain? Or you
    were swimming with a Manatee and got bit - first time in SW Florida's
    history. People will know you're bullshitting, but won't care if you
    make it a good story. ;)

    > > Maybe Hincapie is on the right track with the over-sized frames after all...

    > I have really bad eyesight so I can't get prescription sportsglasses
    > because the curvature I need. I've looked into before.

    That's tougher. Riding so low you don't have as much warning before
    the pavement bites you. I like to modify things, so I'd probably cut
    some tubing and slip it over the edge. Or, I'd put an airbag under the
    fairing next to the death ray and microwave.