My Viscount airseat conversion!!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Sigurd, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Sigurd

    Sigurd Guest

    So I finally decided to take this on. It is a work in progress while I
    try to figure out how to re-upholster it.

    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/saupperl/shared/DSC00930.JPG

    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/saupperl/shared/DSC00931.JPG

    Those first two are to show how much foam I left on the sides for seat
    shape, and also how I folded the 12 inch bike tube. I have since folded
    it slightly different at the front, but I will get a pic later. The
    piece of duct tape was to prevent the front of the tube from bulging
    when I inflated it, but it actually prevented that part from being
    filled, so I took it off.

    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/saupperl/shared/orange.JPG

    The above is the awesome orange vinyl I got to recover it. As you can
    see in the first two pics, the original red one is getting kinda
    tattered. The problem right now is trying to get a flat piece of
    material to fit the contours of a curved object. So this is the step in
    progress.

    http://tinyurl.com/6pl2c

    The above is a picture of the location for the valve stem hole. And
    yes, it really is that far back.

    http://tinyurl.com/3tqnh

    This last one here is the sock in its kinda-cover-for-now which is
    serving a few purposes. First, it is holding the tube in place. Next,
    it is giving me something to glue the cover to, instead of the foam and
    the tube. Sock replaceable. Foam not as easily replaced. Then I
    pulled the sock tight and poked a hole for the valve stem and also four
    for the seat bolts. All these pics will be updated when the project is
    totally done.

    Now the big question.....does it work? I will say yes. It is much more
    comfortable than the stock Viscount seat. Having never ridden a Miyata
    air seat, I can't compare it to that. However, I can see the Miyata as
    being much easier to convert, seeing as there is no foam to cut out. Do
    I recommend this? Yes and no. Yes, if you don't want to convert to
    Miyata components, or if you already have a Viscount. No, because it
    was hard. The foam is thick and tough. My little pocketknife barely
    did the job. I know someone else on here has done it with an electric
    carving knife and I imagine that to be a LOT easier. Also, the tube
    sticks up above the top of the foam and it bulges pretty badly right
    now. It works, but it doesn't look as "finished" anymore. We'll see if
    things change once I get the new cover on.

    --
    Sigurd - I'm still riding a United trainer?
    Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801

  2. I just sent you a p.m. with a pattern for the cover that should make the
    job much easier. You may have to modify it just a bit to get the perfect
    fit

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  3. Sigurd

    Sigurd Guest

    Hey thanks a lot. This seems like it will help. However, it looks like
    both those links are the same page. Just the front and the left side as
    you look down at the seat from behind.

    --
    Sigurd - I'm still riding a United trainer?
    Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801

  4. monociclos

    monociclos Guest

  5. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Neat!

    An electric carving knife won't help with cutting the foam while it's
    still glued to the seat base. The tip of an electric carving knife is
    dull. It only cuts in the middle area of the blade.

    When I made a Viscount gel seat I used a utility knife to cut out the
    center area of the foam. It was the kind of utility knife that has a
    retractable razor style blade.

    The Viscount and Miyata seats are shaped differently. They have a
    different curve. The Viscount's curve is less deep. I actually prefer
    the shape of the Viscount over the Miyata. When I make my air seats I
    trim the foam to lessen the curvature of the Miyata (or carbon fiber)
    seat base. That makes the seat more flat rather than more curved. With
    a deep and plush air seat the extra curvature gets to be a little
    restricting.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  6. Sigurd wrote:
    > *Hey thanks a lot. This seems like it will help. However, it looks
    > like both those links are the same page. Just the front and the left
    > side as you look down at the seat from behind. *

    Sorry about that. I had sent a pattern to Brian and he scanned it and
    sent it back to me. I never really paid attention to it and didn't
    notice that it wasn't complete. At least you know how to get the curves
    done.

    Monociclos,
    The patten wasn't completely copied somehow when it was scanned.

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  7. monociclos

    monociclos Guest

    I would be great if someone post:

    · pattern for a roach or fusion or whatever air seat cover

    · also the dogbone style pillow pattern would be evry usefull

    This way you can make yourself at home!!!

    I´ve searched it on the forums with no success at all:mad:

    THANKS!!

    --
    monociclos - Doin` trials

    www.monociclos.com Unicycle related stuff in Spanish
    monociclos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4100

  8. Sigurd

    Sigurd Guest

    Krashin'Kenny wrote:
    > *
    >
    > At least you know how to get the curves done.
    >
    > *

    No, that's just it. It is only half and I can't see how to get the
    curve in the back. Are there two pieces of material, or just that one
    that wraps all the way around?

    --
    Sigurd - I'm still riding a United trainer?
    Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801

  9. Checkernuts

    Checkernuts Guest

    monociclos wrote:
    > *I would be great if someone post:
    >
    > · pattern for a roach or fusion or whatever air seat cover
    >
    > · also the dogbone style pillow pattern would be evry usefull
    >

    > This way you can make yourself at home!!!
    >
    > I´ve searched it on the forums with no success at all:mad:
    >
    > THANKS!! *

    Emial Mike Rocks of Vancouver BC Canada. If anyone has what you seek its
    him.

    --
    Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H20

    My circus train pulls throught the night, full of lions and trapize
    artists, I'm done with elephants and clowns, I want to runaway and join
    the office.
    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

  10. Sigurd wrote:
    > *
    >
    > No, that's just it. It is only half and I can't see how to get the
    > curve in the back. Are there two pieces of material, or just that one
    > that wraps all the way around? *

    Send me your address and I'll send you an actual pattern. Mine is made
    in 3 pieces. One top and side pieces that are sewn together and then
    sewn to the top. Once you get the actual pattern, perhaps you can get it
    scanned to share with everybody else. I don't have acces to a scanner.
    Sorry about the confusion on the jpg.

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  11. Jayne ZA

    Jayne ZA Guest

    Krashin'Kenny wrote:
    > *Send me your address and I'll send you an actual pattern.*

    Kenny - do you have access to a fax machine that will do international
    calls? I have a network fax at the office - if you fax something to me
    it will come through to my e-mail, probably as a tif file which I can
    pop in a gallery somewhere, if not I can just print and scan it and
    upload the scanned file.

    Send me a pm if that's possible and I'll send you my fax number.

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Downsizing to a 24

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  12. Sigurd

    Sigurd Guest

  13. Jayne ZA wrote:
    > *Kenny - do you have access to a fax machine that will do
    > international calls? I have a network fax at the office - if you fax
    > something to me it will come through to my e-mail, probably as a tif
    > file which I can pop in a gallery somewhere, if not I can just print
    > and scan it and upload the scanned file.
    >
    > Send me a pm if that's possible and I'll send you my fax number.
    >
    > Jayne *

    Thanks for the offer, but management would probably have a fit if I
    started faxing stuff internationally:eek:

    I'm just going to mail one to Sigurd tomorrow. I'll send a p.m. to Brian
    and see if he still has the copy that he had scanned and maybe I can
    share it with others in need:D

    --

  14. Sigurd wrote:
    > *
    >
    > Are there two pieces of material, or just that one that wraps all
    > the way around? *

    Here's a link to the thread with some pics of one of the saddle covers I
    made:

    http://tinyurl.com/354bl