my website

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Sean Webster, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Sean Webster

    Sean Webster Guest

    Tags:

  2. Good start Sean! Could do with some better piccis of you perhaps in action..and a little better
    alignment of text in the frames. Apart from that it is great to see your underlying passion for
    triathlon - the most important aspect here that you communicate.

    Have a question: is there a 50m pool in Glasgow? I love Glasgow as a city and have read somewhere
    that there is a 50m pool complex, - what is it like? As a triathlete a 50 m pool is very important
    to me when considering places to study/work...:)..not many in UK....

    Rebecca

    news:[email protected]...

  3. "Rebecca Bishop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > a 50 m pool is very important to me when considering places to study/work...:)..not many
    > in UK....

    and if a 50m pool is deciding factor, I'd head for Oviedo in Northern Spain. Great University, 50m
    pool, great town, lots of cools runs, great roads and conditions for biking... ++Mark.

  4. Mark Cathcart <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I used to think a 50m pool was better to swim in, and still like to swim in a 50m pool when I can,
    >its hard to imagine its important. It won't help your swimming much, you can do fast, hard 200m
    >sets in a 20m pool probably as well as you can in a 50m pool. ++Mark.

    Better yet to find a lake or the ocean.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  5. "Rebecca Bishop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Have a question: is there a 50m pool in Glasgow? I love Glasgow as a city and have read somewhere
    > that there is a 50m pool complex, - what is it like? As a triathlete a 50 m pool is very important
    > to me when considering places to study/work...:)..not many in UK....

    Complete list of 50m Pools in the UK can be found here...
    http://www.prstubbs.btinternet.co.uk/olist.htm

    It confirms that there is a 50m pool at Tollcross Park Leisure Centre, Wellshot Road, Glasgow G32
    7QR and others in East Kilbride, Edinburgh and Stirling in Scotland.

    Don't be surprised though that most of these pools rarely operate as 50m pools but use moveable
    walls or booms to split them into 2x 25m pools, or a 30m and 20m pool.

    I used to think a 50m pool was better to swim in, and still like to swim in a 50m pool when I can,
    its hard to imagine its important. It won't help your swimming much, you can do fast, hard 200m sets
    in a 20m pool probably as well as you can in a 50m pool. ++Mark.

    ++Mark.

  6. Jason O'Rourke wrote:

    > Better yet to find a lake or the ocean.

    You've never been to Scotland, have you?

    Last time I was in Edinburgh, the Commonwealth pool complex was still 50m and the full length was
    available for lane swimming. That was a few years ago though, so things may have changed. STF

  7. Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Jason O'Rourke wrote:
    >> Better yet to find a lake or the ocean.
    >
    >You've never been to Scotland, have you?

    Where do you race?

    It's 50F/10C here, btw, occasionally getting up close to 60.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  8. Jason O'Rourke wrote:

    > Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Jason O'Rourke wrote:
    > >> Better yet to find a lake or the ocean.
    > >
    > >You've never been to Scotland, have you?
    >
    > Where do you race?

    New Zealand now, used to race in Scotland. Here today it was a sunny 14C with wind chill down to 4C,
    water temp 10-12C. Open water swimming in Scotland in the lochs is generally an easy way to drown.
    They are mostly very deep and very cold upwelling currents. I've had/seen too many close calls
    sailing and windsurfing (with wetsuit) to recommend that as a training option there...

    Similar here in NZ, open water swim training happens more often in North Island, down here the
    glacial lakes have much the same problem as back in Scotland. Queenstown in December for example for
    the ITU Aquathon they have switched format because wetsuits will be compulsory due to likely water
    temperatures.

    > It's 50F/10C here, btw, occasionally getting up close to 60.

    Blowing a gale here now and we are racing a sprint duathlon tomorrow morning. Oh well, at least it
    won't be frosty... STF

  9. Sean Webster

    Sean Webster Guest

    hi

    there is a 50m pool in east kilbride, about 10 miles from glasgow. wouldnt recomend swiming in any
    lochs except in races or training sessions, bit risky, some are almost a mile deep, and a few have
    monsters! thanks for the kind comments

    sean