My wheelset chart - high level view

Budarooski

Jun 21, 2012
Over the last few weeks I've been searching the right wheelset for me. My rides involve 50-100 miles over few hills and mostly flats, so I opted for the SRAM S80/S60 combo thinking the aero and weight would help maintain a higher mph pace. While it's true it did seem to hold speed when in a group ride, I couldn't help feel like I was pedaling a motorcycle tire in the back! At 4.33 lbs for the set I really felt the difference compared to my 2012 American Classic Aero 420s (3.37lbs). Since I sold the 420s I was stuck with the SRAMs, but after my last ride I was done with the SRAMs...getting up to speed was so different compared to my last set and I found myself sometimes losing the group leaving a stop sign or coming out of a turn.

I wanted something aero, yet light. After reading countless posts and reviews, I opted for the 2012 Reynolds 46 carbon clinchers and I'm here to say HOLY SMOKE are these nice!!! From the DT Swiss hubs and 54g skewers (54g for BOTH) to the easily serviceable J-bend bladed spokes, these rims made me smile from ear to ear! And at 3.10 lbs (verified on my scale), getting up to speed and climbing hills was day and night compared to the SRAM 80/60 combo. These rims offer full carbon construction, aerodynamics and light weight. I gave the front wheel a spin while my bike was on the bike stand and you'd never believe me if I told you hold long that wheel rolled.

I'm not here to persuade you in any direction; like I said, for me these are just what I was looking for. Anyhow, I thought I'd share this chart I made in case anyone is in the market for wheels. Hopefully this will help and save you many hours in front of your computer.

Budarooski said:
Over the last few weeks I've been searching the right wheelset for me.  My rides involve 50-100 miles over few hills and mostly flats, so I opted for the SRAM S80/S60 combo thinking the aero and weight would help maintain a higher mph pace.  While it's true it did seem to hold speed when in a group ride, I couldn't help feel like I was pedaling a motorcycle tire in the back!  At 4.33 lbs for the set I really felt the difference compared to my 2012 American Classic Aero 420s (3.37lbs).  Since I sold the 420s I was stuck with the SRAMs, but after my last ride I was done with the SRAMs...getting up to speed was so different compared to my last set and I found myself sometimes losing the group leaving a stop sign or coming out of a turn. I wanted something aero, yet light.  After reading countless posts and reviews, I opted for the 2012 Reynolds 46 carbon clinchers and I'm here to say HOLY SMOKE are these nice!!!  From the DT Swiss hubs and 54g skewers (54g for BOTH) to the easily serviceable J-bend bladed spokes, these rims made me smile from ear to ear!  And at 3.10 lbs (verified on my scale), getting up to speed and climbing hills was day and night compared to the SRAM 80/60 combo.  These rims offer full carbon construction, aerodynamics and light weight.  I gave the front wheel a spin while my bike was on the bike stand and you'd never believe me if I told you hold long that wheel rolled. I'm not here to persuade you in any direction; like I said, for me these are just what I was looking for.  Anyhow, I thought I'd share this chart I made in case anyone is in the market for wheels.  Hopefully this will help and save you many hours in front of your computer.
It's okay to use grams instead of pounds since that is what the manufacturers use. Reynolds make some pretty okay wheels, although they don't appear to have done the work that other manufacturers (Zipp, Enve, Bontrager,....) have done to reduce the influence of crosswinds. I used to have a set of DV46 tubular wheels (1200ish grams), and I liked pretty much everything about them except how they handled crosswinds. Winds on twisty mountain descents made for some interesting moments. I'm saving my pennies for a set of Enve SES 6.7 rims laced to White Industries H2 and H3 hubs. I'll gladly take the extra weight (1550ish grams) over similar wheels for the better aerodynamics and crosswind performance.