My wife and a bike...

Dave

Guest
My wife can't use a conventional bicycle due to the sheer physical discomfort of a saddle. A couple
of weeks ago though we saw a recumbent trike shooting through Telford Town Park, think I reported on
it here at the time. Yesterday she commented that she really liked the idea of a recumbent trike,
the main thing being the two words. Recumbent and Trike. Who knows, we may yet enjoy a country ride
together, which would be nice!! I'll get me coat, Dave. ;-)

Have you tried her on a Brooks Countess.

The only saddles my wife can tolerate are leather.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you tried her on a Brooks Countess.
>
> The only saddles my wife can tolerate are leather.

She says she wasn't bought up in an era where women could go and discuss their 'wimmins bits' with
12 year old spotty youths in shops!!...hence the interest in a 'bent trike ;-)

I find my Terry's Liberator TiLite a very comfortable saddle - didn't discuss my bits with any
spotty youths, bought it online from Deeside Cycles. See
http://www.deesidecycles.com/shopfront_terryso300902.htm

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Have you tried her on a Brooks Countess.
> >
> > The only saddles my wife can tolerate are leather.
> >

> She says she wasn't bought up in an era where women could go and discuss their 'wimmins bits' with
> 12 year old spotty youths in shops!!...hence the interest in a 'bent trike ;-)

May or may not be of interest, but www.gearshift.co.uk do a 'box of saddles' - put down a deposit,
and they'll send you a box of various womens (or mens) saddles for you to try to help you work out
what saddle suits best. It's not mentioned on their website that I can see, so you'd have to phone
them (or get hold of a catalogue, which is where I spotted it).

Velvet

Don't know what your budget is but there is what appears to be a scorching bargain on a Windcheetah
trike in the sales ads of this months Cycling Plus. The advert is a bit confusing but it appears to
be a brand new trike, only ridden for a few miles and going for a grand. OK it sounds like a
ClubSport model but even then it would be £2,400 new and if your wife didn't like it you should have
no trouble selling it for a profit.

In the same section there is an older Windcheetah (with a double rather than the usual triple
chainset) going for £1,600. Probably a bit over priced in the current market but it shows what a
steal the other one is.

Cheers,

Andy

> I find my Terry's Liberator TiLite a very comfortable saddle - didn't
discuss
> my bits with any spotty youths, bought it online from Deeside Cycles. See
> http://www.deesidecycles.com/shopfront_terryso300902.htm
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
> reply!
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
keyboaRRRDdd
> ~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Helen....Presumably she can return it if found to be too uncomfortable ?

> Don't know what your budget is but there is what appears to be a scorching bargain on a
> Windcheetah trike in the sales ads of this months Cycling
Plus.
> The advert is a bit confusing but it appears to be a brand new trike, only ridden for a few miles
> and going for a grand. OK it sounds like a
ClubSport
> model but even then it would be £2,400 new and if your wife didn't like it you should have no
> trouble selling it for a profit.
>
> In the same section there is an older Windcheetah (with a double rather
than
> the usual triple chainset) going for £1,600. Probably a bit over priced in the current market but
> it shows what a steal the other one is.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andy
Many thanks Andy...I'll broach the possibility with her, then invest in the mag if she is genuinely
interested in the possibility. Cheers, Dave.

"Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Have you tried her on a Brooks Countess.
> > >
> > > The only saddles my wife can tolerate are leather.
> > >

> > She says she wasn't bought up in an era where women could go and discuss their 'wimmins bits'
> > with 12 year old spotty youths in shops!!...hence
the
> > interest in a 'bent trike ;-)
> >

> May or may not be of interest, but www.gearshift.co.uk do a 'box of saddles' - put down a deposit,
> and they'll send you a box of various
womens
> (or mens) saddles for you to try to help you work out what saddle suits best. It's not mentioned
> on their website that I can see, so you'd have
> phone them (or get hold of a catalogue, which is where I spotted it).
>
> Velvet

Like the sound of that Velvet. I'll discuss with her....mind you, it'll then give the game away that
I've been discussing the subject globally....ooops! Cheers, Dave. ;-)

Has your wife heard of or tried a DD Wings saddle? (Or has anyone else?)

http://www.bigg-in-bikes.com/Componentspage.htm

Just a thought - I've no experience of this saddle or connection with the seller.

Cheers, Lionel

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cJ%[email protected]...
> My wife can't use a conventional bicycle due to the sheer physical discomfort of a saddle. A
> couple of weeks ago though we saw a recumbent trike shooting through Telford Town Park, think I
> reported on it here at the time. Yesterday she commented that she really liked the idea of a
> recumbent
trike,
> the main thing being the two words. Recumbent and Trike. Who knows, we may yet enjoy a country
> ride together, which would be nice!! I'll get me coat, Dave. ;-)

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you tried her on a Brooks Countess.
>
> I can vouch for the Countess. Don't think I would ride on anything else
these days. I recently had to borrow my son's bike while mine was off the road for a few days. I am
sure it is fitted with a brick instead of a saddle!
Jo

> "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > She says she wasn't bought up in an era where women could go and
discuss
> > > their 'wimmins bits' with 12 year old spotty youths in shops!!...hence
> the
> > > interest in a 'bent trike ;-)
> > >

> > May or may not be of interest, but www.gearshift.co.uk do a 'box of saddles' - put down a
> > deposit, and they'll send you a box of various
> womens
> > (or mens) saddles for you to try to help you work out what saddle suits best. It's not mentioned
> > on their website that I can see, so you'd have
> > phone them (or get hold of a catalogue, which is where I spotted it).
> >
> > Velvet
> >

> Like the sound of that Velvet. I'll discuss with her....mind you, it'll
then
> give the game away that I've been discussing the subject
globally....ooops!
> Cheers, Dave. ;-)

Something else you might want to consider is that she may find womens saddles uncomfortable for a
number of reasons, one of which might be excessive width, oddly enough. If that's the case, she
could try some that probably look like they'd be torture, like lady-specific racing saddles. That's
what I have at the moment (selle italia octavia lady), and it's more comfortable than my old
traditional cycle as a kid, with one of those armchair ladies saddles on :)

Velvet

Velvet

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:26:33 +0100 someone who may be "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Yesterday she commented that she really liked the idea of a recumbent trike, the main thing being
>the two words. Recumbent and Trike.

It's an investment for everyone in the household.

They can usually be rapidly adjusted to suit all shapes of people, can carry a fair amount of
shopping and make excellent tractors for pulling trailers. They do take up a fair amount of
garage space though. Some have a relatively high up seating position, which is good for a general
purpose machine.

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:35:12 +0100 someone who may be "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I'll discuss with her....mind you, it'll then give the game away that I've been discussing the
>subject globally....ooops!

You need to improve your approach. Why not just have the idea yourself, do some research and come up
with it:)

Discussing the subject globally? Not me, honest:)

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:26:33 +0100 someone who may be "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>Yesterday she commented that she really liked the idea of a recumbent trike, the main thing being
>>the two words. Recumbent and Trike.
>
> It's an investment for everyone in the household.
<snip>

And there's always Greenspeed's convertible tandem/solo GTV recumbent
http://www.wrhpv.com/greenspeed/gtv/spec/index.html. Two for the price of one (and a half)! I just
came across this yesterday and it's already at the top of my wish list. Unfortunately my wife's more
realistic wish list takes precedence :-/

Have fun!

Graeme