My winter project.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by maydog, Jan 13, 2014.

1. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

The frame is 60cm and I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam. As-is the seat to handlebar drop is about 3". I might be able to go lower, but would like to get some run time on it first.

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Yeah...trial it before the hacksaw comes out of the toolbox. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the ride...when it warms up.

3. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Steve Jones or Graham Jones?

4. CAMPYBOB

Stevo.

http://www.stevejonescoaching.co.uk/

5. Jimbo S

Jimbo S New Member

That setup looks a lot better than the Javelin which not only had an enormous stack height but very long seatpost. Might I suggest you look for a new saddle? That tape job on the horn ruins the look of the build!

6. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

It is one of my favorite saddles - an E3 now called Kontact. I got the E3 for $25 at performancebike back in the day now the kontacts are $120. It has many miles and the covering around the nose is worn. I may get a new saddle, find some black cloth tape or just use a sharpie.

I have another on a different bike and the tape holds up very well.

7. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

This saddle used to get excellent reviews. At the time, though, I was still using Turbos.

The main difference between a $25 E3 and a $120 Kontact is probably titanium rails.

8. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Today I found some time to hook up the shifter and brake cables. Everything went well except for some hiccups in getting the triple shifter to work with the front double.

Initially I attempted to use the lowest two settings on the shifter and prevent from pulling into the highest gear using the high limiter on the derailleur. In this configuration, I was able to upshift, small to big, but it would not shift from big to small. The paddle would not click, I had to release the cable tension to get it to shift down again. After a few rounds of tweaking, I gave up.

Instead, I configured the shifting so that the big ring, high gear selection on the shifter would shift into the big ring. The low gear setting lets the cable go a little slack as the low limit on the derailleur is set to keep the chain from going off the inner side. This configuration works, but is quirky. Effectively I have 5 trim settings, 2 for the big ring and three for the small ring. The lowest trim is the slack, non-existent triple small selection then the two middle ring trims. The shifter does allow for direct shifting from middle to big and big to middle which should be sufficient - I think it will just take a bit of riding to get used to the feel and additional trims as my current bikes are much older shimano 8 and 9 speed setups with no trim options.

I don't spend much time shifting between chainrings anyway.

9. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Nice! I didn't know that about Eaton. Looks like he had the guns to back it up too, Alexi on the other hand while a great rider looked like a stiff breeze could blow him over.

In the early 80's, Nasbar had two nice DB steel bikes (Tange tubing I think), one longer 41" wheelbase tourer model and a 22.5lb 39" wheelbase racer (no eyelets) equipped with Shimano600EX that went on sale for $325! A sweet deal at the time when the typical eye-talian Columbus SL bike with NR went for about a grand, plus or minus.

10. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

11. CAMPYBOB

He's the one with the lump on the side of his noggin.

I am surprised Alexi didn't deck him. Damn! Alexi was one of the most fun guys in the pack, back then.

12. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Its time for an update. The bike had see a good share of my miles and is functioning very well. I was hesitant about the short top tube and the long stem, but after a few rides I adjusted to the handling. The bike is now my favorite, and I use it on my fastest group rides. The ride is good, as comfortable as my steel frame and it is stiff for good power transfer. The Tiagra shift gear is great.

I ended up flipping the stem and dropping it down a spacer to have a pretty agressive position. The only other change I may make is to swap out the 12-28 cassette with a 12-25 or less.

No graphics yet for the frame - at some point I will have to put some art on that canvas.

13. CAMPYBOB

Cool. Nashbar bargains have been a part of the cycling scene for 40 years. I've often thought about building a complete no-name bike from Nashbar deals.

One of the best frames I've owned was a Nashbar decal-less Romic 531 that was brazed up in Houston, Texas.

See this link for the history of Romic: http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~rpinder/Romic.html

IIRC, I got a hand-brazed frame, fork at shimaNO headset for $75!

This is a pic of the builder, Ray Gasiorowski, finishing a 1950 race:

[​IMG]

And yeah, I've been wanting to ride one of Nasnbar's carbon no-name frames for a couple years.

My avatar pic is of a Nashbar road bike winning the Milk Race in GB.

Ride that bike with pride, Maydog! There's a hellova lot of cycling history AND a great price that comes with those closeout deals and cheesy sales flyers!

14. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

I didn't even buy it from Nashbar, the frame was second hand form Ebay. I do buy a lot of wares from them - their returned items have rare gems once and a while.