My worst fall yet (relatively speaking)

Zilla

Guest
It was 70 deg. F yesterday so I took a ride on a path that
goes around the office - a leisurely ride. On my way back I
decided to check out a fork in the trail to see where it
leads to. I was going about 20 mph (~ 30 kph) when I hit a
wet spot. Before I knew it, my bike slid from under me and I
was on my back. Once I collected myself, I saw that my rear
wheel was figure-eighted, and hence wouldn't rotate because
of the caliper brakes. I took it off and slammed the
"boinged" side against the ground, but that only
straightened it so much. I noticed pain on my right ankle
too so I had to limp for 1/2 mi. carrying my bike.

This was on my road bike, on pavement! Luckily I had MTB
shoes. My ankle is on ice as I type...

--
- Zilla (aka Jan Ulrich wanabe) Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Zilla says:

<snip roadie crash...>

What? No blood?

;-)

Heal up, Zilla

Steve

On 2004-04-09, Zilla penned:
> It was 70 deg. F yesterday so I took a ride on a path that
> goes around the office - a leisurely ride. On my way back
> I decided to check out a fork in the trail to see where it
> leads to. I was going about 20 mph (~ 30 kph) when I hit a
> wet spot. Before I knew it, my bike slid from under me and
> I was on my back. Once I collected myself, I saw that my
> rear wheel was figure-eighted, and hence wouldn't rotate
> because of the caliper brakes. I took it off and slammed
> the "boinged" side against the ground, but that only
> straightened it so much. I noticed pain on my right ankle
> too so I had to limp for 1/2 mi. carrying my bike.
>
> This was on my road bike, on pavement! Luckily I had MTB
> shoes. My ankle is on ice as I type...

Ouch! Feel better soon!

--
monique

Zilla wrote:
> It was 70 deg. F yesterday so I took a ride on a path that
> goes around the office - a leisurely ride. On my way back
> I decided to check out a fork in the trail to see where it
> leads to. I was going about 20 mph (~ 30 kph) when I hit a
> wet spot. Before I knew it, my bike slid from under me and
> I was on my back. Once I collected myself, I saw that my
> rear wheel was figure-eighted, and hence wouldn't rotate
> because of the caliper brakes. I took it off and slammed
> the "boinged" side against the ground, but that only
> straightened it so much. I noticed pain on my right ankle
> too so I had to limp for 1/2 mi. carrying my bike.
>
> This was on my road bike, on pavement! Luckily I had MTB
> shoes. My ankle is on ice as I type...

Also lucky you only had a half-mile to trudge. Longest for
me was ~10 miles (mostly on trail; last 3-4 road).

Bill "disabled bike, not body" S.

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zilla says:
>
> <snip roadie crash...>
>
> What? No blood?
>
> ;-)
>
> Heal up, Zilla
>

> Steve

Yeah gashes on the right elbw, and on the left leg. I was
EXTREMELY lucky. I rolled over (instinctively) when I fell,
which absorbed the impact. And yes, thanks for the C'bak for
the cushion too!

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> It was 70 deg. F yesterday so I took a ride on a path that
> goes around the office - a leisurely ride. On my way back
> I decided to check out a fork in the trail to see where it
> leads to. I was going about 20 mph (~ 30 kph) when I hit a
> wet spot. Before I knew it, my bike slid from under me and
> I was on my back. Once I collected myself, I saw that my
> rear wheel was figure-eighted, and hence wouldn't rotate
> because of the caliper brakes. I took it off and slammed
> the "boinged" side against the ground, but that only
> straightened it so much. I noticed pain on my right ankle
> too so I had to limp for 1/2 mi. carrying my bike.
>
> This was on my road bike, on pavement! Luckily I had MTB
> shoes. My ankle is on ice as I type...

Many moons ago, I was moving house, and accidentally sent my
helmet to my new house, whilst the bike was still at the old
one. I had no vehicle so had to ride the bike to the new
house. I was on a bike bath around a local suburban oval,
and it had rained really hard and long three days before but
everything seemed to have dried in the 3 days since. The
bike path was a long sweeping bend, with long grass growing
on the side, so you couldn't see the pavement very far
ahead. I was leant hard over into this bend, going like the
clappers because I had to get to the new house, and then
down to a pick up point to be taken camping for the weekend.
Too late I found that 3 days of seepage was still draining
across the path. The front wheel shot out from under me in
an instant, and my face and shoulder became the brake pads
using the concrete to stop. I had removed a fair portion of
the skin from the side of my face. I made a quick phone call
from the house, got a lift to the Doctor's, was seen
immediately due to the mess. And still made my pick up for
the camping trip. However, 3 days camping with only tank
water, the face got infected. Morals of story: Don't ride
without a helmet. Don't ride real fast if you can't see the
surface you're on. Don't go camping after massively grazing
the entire side of your face.

The funniest moment at the camp, was a friend arriving very
late at night, pulled out a torch and was shining it in each
person's face to see who they were so he could greet them.
He damn near dropped the torch when he shone it on my face,
and said "Damn, what have you done to yourself"

Trentus

Do

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Yeah gashes on the right elbw, and on the left leg. I was
> EXTREMELY lucky. I rolled over (instinctively) when I
> fell, which absorbed the impact. And yes, thanks for the
> C'bak for the cushion too!

Early last year I got on my bike as it was leaning on a
fence at the top of a mountain near here. I clipped both
feet in, pushed off from the fence, and had the front wheel
hit an unseen obstruction in the grass and get pushed left,
while I'd just thrown all my weight to the right, and simply
did exactly what you did, I "rolled" off the bike. Not a
scratch on me - not surprising since I literally wouldn't
have been doing 1Km/h at the time, but it wasn't a camel
back that padded my fall, it was the $900Aus GPS unit on my
belt. It was totalled. How can you do so much damage without
a mark on the bike or yourself? Still haven't found the
money to replace/repair the blasted thing either. Bummer!

Get well soon by the way.

Trentus

YOU better check into Wake County Hospital ER.

I MTB 2004