My worst fall yet (relatively speaking)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zilla, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    It was 70 deg. F yesterday so I took a ride on a path that
    goes around the office - a leisurely ride. On my way back I
    decided to check out a fork in the trail to see where it
    leads to. I was going about 20 mph (~ 30 kph) when I hit a
    wet spot. Before I knew it, my bike slid from under me and I
    was on my back. Once I collected myself, I saw that my rear
    wheel was figure-eighted, and hence wouldn't rotate because
    of the caliper brakes. I took it off and slammed the
    "boinged" side against the ground, but that only
    straightened it so much. I noticed pain on my right ankle
    too so I had to limp for 1/2 mi. carrying my bike.

    This was on my road bike, on pavement! Luckily I had MTB
    shoes. My ankle is on ice as I type...

    --
    - Zilla (aka Jan Ulrich wanabe) Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    Tags:

  2. Zilla says:

    <snip roadie crash...>

    What? No blood?

    ;-)

    Heal up, Zilla

    Steve

  3. On 2004-04-09, Zilla penned:
    > It was 70 deg. F yesterday so I took a ride on a path that
    > goes around the office - a leisurely ride. On my way back
    > I decided to check out a fork in the trail to see where it
    > leads to. I was going about 20 mph (~ 30 kph) when I hit a
    > wet spot. Before I knew it, my bike slid from under me and
    > I was on my back. Once I collected myself, I saw that my
    > rear wheel was figure-eighted, and hence wouldn't rotate
    > because of the caliper brakes. I took it off and slammed
    > the "boinged" side against the ground, but that only
    > straightened it so much. I noticed pain on my right ankle
    > too so I had to limp for 1/2 mi. carrying my bike.
    >
    > This was on my road bike, on pavement! Luckily I had MTB
    > shoes. My ankle is on ice as I type...

    Ouch! Feel better soon!

    --
    monique

  4. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > It was 70 deg. F yesterday so I took a ride on a path that
    > goes around the office - a leisurely ride. On my way back
    > I decided to check out a fork in the trail to see where it
    > leads to. I was going about 20 mph (~ 30 kph) when I hit a
    > wet spot. Before I knew it, my bike slid from under me and
    > I was on my back. Once I collected myself, I saw that my
    > rear wheel was figure-eighted, and hence wouldn't rotate
    > because of the caliper brakes. I took it off and slammed
    > the "boinged" side against the ground, but that only
    > straightened it so much. I noticed pain on my right ankle
    > too so I had to limp for 1/2 mi. carrying my bike.
    >
    > This was on my road bike, on pavement! Luckily I had MTB
    > shoes. My ankle is on ice as I type...

    Also lucky you only had a half-mile to trudge. Longest for
    me was ~10 miles (mostly on trail; last 3-4 road).

    Bill "disabled bike, not body" S.

  5. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Zilla says:
    >
    > <snip roadie crash...>
    >
    > What? No blood?
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > Heal up, Zilla
    >

    > Steve

    Yeah gashes on the right elbw, and on the left leg. I was
    EXTREMELY lucky. I rolled over (instinctively) when I fell,
    which absorbed the impact. And yes, thanks for the C'bak for
    the cushion too!

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

  6. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > It was 70 deg. F yesterday so I took a ride on a path that
    > goes around the office - a leisurely ride. On my way back
    > I decided to check out a fork in the trail to see where it
    > leads to. I was going about 20 mph (~ 30 kph) when I hit a
    > wet spot. Before I knew it, my bike slid from under me and
    > I was on my back. Once I collected myself, I saw that my
    > rear wheel was figure-eighted, and hence wouldn't rotate
    > because of the caliper brakes. I took it off and slammed
    > the "boinged" side against the ground, but that only
    > straightened it so much. I noticed pain on my right ankle
    > too so I had to limp for 1/2 mi. carrying my bike.
    >
    > This was on my road bike, on pavement! Luckily I had MTB
    > shoes. My ankle is on ice as I type...

    Many moons ago, I was moving house, and accidentally sent my
    helmet to my new house, whilst the bike was still at the old
    one. I had no vehicle so had to ride the bike to the new
    house. I was on a bike bath around a local suburban oval,
    and it had rained really hard and long three days before but
    everything seemed to have dried in the 3 days since. The
    bike path was a long sweeping bend, with long grass growing
    on the side, so you couldn't see the pavement very far
    ahead. I was leant hard over into this bend, going like the
    clappers because I had to get to the new house, and then
    down to a pick up point to be taken camping for the weekend.
    Too late I found that 3 days of seepage was still draining
    across the path. The front wheel shot out from under me in
    an instant, and my face and shoulder became the brake pads
    using the concrete to stop. I had removed a fair portion of
    the skin from the side of my face. I made a quick phone call
    from the house, got a lift to the Doctor's, was seen
    immediately due to the mess. And still made my pick up for
    the camping trip. However, 3 days camping with only tank
    water, the face got infected. Morals of story: Don't ride
    without a helmet. Don't ride real fast if you can't see the
    surface you're on. Don't go camping after massively grazing
    the entire side of your face.

    The funniest moment at the camp, was a friend arriving very
    late at night, pulled out a torch and was shining it in each
    person's face to see who they were so he could greet them.
    He damn near dropped the torch when he shone it on my face,
    and said "Damn, what have you done to yourself"

    Trentus

    Do

  7. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Yeah gashes on the right elbw, and on the left leg. I was
    > EXTREMELY lucky. I rolled over (instinctively) when I
    > fell, which absorbed the impact. And yes, thanks for the
    > C'bak for the cushion too!

    Early last year I got on my bike as it was leaning on a
    fence at the top of a mountain near here. I clipped both
    feet in, pushed off from the fence, and had the front wheel
    hit an unseen obstruction in the grass and get pushed left,
    while I'd just thrown all my weight to the right, and simply
    did exactly what you did, I "rolled" off the bike. Not a
    scratch on me - not surprising since I literally wouldn't
    have been doing 1Km/h at the time, but it wasn't a camel
    back that padded my fall, it was the $900Aus GPS unit on my
    belt. It was totalled. How can you do so much damage without
    a mark on the bike or yourself? Still haven't found the
    money to replace/repair the blasted thing either. Bummer!

    Get well soon by the way.

    Trentus

  8. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    YOU better check into Wake County Hospital ER.

    I MTB 2004