My Worst Ride Ever

doctorold

Dec 14, 2010
North Carolina
I'll cut to the chasel, I got caught in the rain today. Many of you would say no big deal. But my steed sports a Brooks Saddle. Fail. I rode seven to eight miles through on and off showers and wet roads. Turning back was not necessarily a good option as that was the direction the showers were progressing. Stopped and assessed and saddle looked ok. Slight dip in the middle but wasn't sure if that was the natural progression of wear. Don't monitor it every day. Saddle bag probably caught the brunt of the water spray. Got back on the road. Three more miles and I have to cross railroad tracks. I've done this hundreds of times.I gear down and go slow across. They run diagonal so I usually get near the very edge of road and bump bump across as perpendicular as I can. Today I get across the first rail but my front tire slips out from under me on the second rail and I go down. Of course no motorists bother to stop and see if I'm OK. That's another thread. Scrape left front leg and elbow. No flowing blood. Rear wheel won't turn so I have to mess with brakes to free it up. Left front brifter scuffed up and seems to have been pushed in a little but still seems to function. Chain has jumped off the rings. Anyway, got her back going and was able to ride home ok. Longest 12 miles ever. Got home and got cleaned up and started working on bike. Cleaned up and everything readjusted best I can tell. Saddle suffered a scuff on the left side as well. Pride hurt too. First time to lay down a bike. Sucks. Still haven't had a flat tire. 8000 miles.

Epic rides are character building /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif No flats in 8,000 miles is a good effort!

Those rotten days do happen from time to time.

Punctures being my most frequent rotten-type day. In the scale of things it's not too bad.

Hopefully you used up all of your bad luck in that ride and will now have another 8,000 miles of blissfull riding......

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

Hopefully you used up all of your bad luck in that ride and will now have another 8,000 miles of blissfull riding......

Agreed. 8000 more. By the way how did you make out cold weather riding?

I hate railroad tracks when it is dry. In the rain, I usually dismount and walk the bike across. Wet tracks are like ice.

Originally Posted by doctorold .

Three more miles and I have to cross railroad tracks. I've done this hundreds of times.I gear down and go slow across. They run diagonal so I usually get near the very edge of road and bump bump across as perpendicular as I can. Today I get across the first rail but my front tire slips out from under me on the second rail and I go down.
Don't slow down - speed up. Slide back on the saddle and relax. The main freight line going to San Francisco runs diagonally across my midweek training loop and I have to cross the two sets of lines several times. The only time that I've come close to falling off was one night when I was feeling like crud and went over them at about 15mph... Never again am I going that slow over them.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Don't slow down - speed up. Slide back on the saddle and relax.

+1 good advice. Translates well to mountain biking also.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Agreed. 8000 more. By the way how did you make out cold weather riding?

I made it through the winter pretty well. Learned alot about how much clothing and what to wear. I bought some great stuff. I still struggled with the feet using toe covers only but will consider whole-foot coverings next winter. I still couldn't buck up and go out on the really cold days but that's what the cycle trainer is for!

You may want to check out Nashbar. I purchased a pair of Lake all weather cycling shoes for around 90 dollars in December. They were the best investment I ever made for winter riding. I would post a link but for some reason their site is down right now. One pair of wool socks and I was good to go down into the teens.

Originally Posted by doctorold .
Sucks. Still haven't had a flat tire. 8000 miles.
Can't get over that 8K without a flat! Hope your bicycle is just fine... I know it's heart breaking to lay one down. I wouldn't sweat the saddle scuff though... they [like scars] can sorta look cool.

Did a leisure ride with my wife today on my old hybrid. Had to cross some train tracks.......kinda funny actually. Going for my first ride tomorrow morning on my steed. Hope to have my confidence back. And yeah, the "no flat" thing is kinda crazy. It's gonna happen eventually. The bike really seems to be OK. The scuffs and stuff are minor and really, I probably notice them more than the casual observer.