Myra's update

• Thread starter Myra Vaninwegen
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Myra Vaninwegen

Hi All-

I have been absent for a long time due to having a new baby daughter (now almost 5 months old) and
working part time. The part time work was accomplished by having a Mother's Help come over and watch
Ellen while I worked in the home office. Well, Mother's Help has just quit giving no notice, so in
order to not be too frustrated I'm taking advantage of Ellen's nap to fill you in on what's been
happening.

Before Ellen was born we got a Burley Solo trailer. We didn't use it until Ellen was almost 2 months
old, then we strapped in a baby car seat and started pedalling. Now I use it very frequently, taking
Ellen for little shopping trips (to the market downtown, to visit the farm shops, to see the egg
lady -- who keeps chickens and sells eggs for 1 quid a dozen) or just to go for a little ride.

Ellen really likes going places in the bike trailer. Initially she cried when I strapped her in, but
was quiet as soon as I started moving. Recently, she has been quiet as soon as I put her in the
trailer, in anticipation of going for a bike ride.

This past weekend we went for a very small bike tour. On Friday we attached the trailer to our
tandem (which we bought ourselves as an engagement present), put on panniers filled with clothes,
and pedalled to Bury St Edmunds, which is just over 30 miles away. One you get a bit east of
Cambridge is starts getting a bit hilly, so we spent some time struggling up hills in the granny
ring. We stopped in Newmarket for lunch and arrived in Bury St Edmuds about 5:15, having started out
at 12:30 in order to let the rain pass us by. We did about 32 miles that day.

On Saturday it was brightly sunny, and we wandered around Bury St Edmunds, taking in the sights.

On Sunday, we decided to take a more northernly route home, as it would be flatter (somehow on a
straight line between Cambridge and BSE you find a fair few hills, but arch north and it's almost
deadly flat). We first stopped by the Anglo-Saxon Village at West Stow, about 6 miles northwest of
BSE. This is the site of an Anglo-Saxon village in the 5th-7th centuries, and they have
reconstructed a few houses so you get an idea of what it might have been like to live there. There's
also a small museum that shows the artifacts they found there. Then after lunch in the cafe there we
headed off. We stopped again in Burwell, not too far from Cambridge, for ice cream. Finally we got
home to Cambridge, about 5pm, with almost 40 miles on the speedo.

And that was Ellen's first bike tour. (Well, the first out of the womb. We did a 10-day tour in
Scotland last year when she was a fetus just a few weeks old.)

-Myra

Myra VanInwegen wrote:

> Well, Mother's Help has just quit giving no notice

Blimey are 5 month old children that bad???!!
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty (take out garbage to reply)

Good to hear from you Myra. Have the comfort problems (was it wrists?) that drove you onto the Brom
to be more upright just before Ellen arrived receded since she was born? Hope so!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

In news:[email protected], Myra VanInwegen <[email protected]> typed:
> Hi All-
>
> I have been absent for a long time due to having a new baby daughter (now almost 5 months old) and
> working part time. The part time work was accomplished by having a Mother's Help come over and
> watch Ellen while I worked in the home office. Well, Mother's Help has just quit giving no notice.
>

Thought it might have been you advertising in the Cambridge Weekly News!

Tony

[email protected] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
And that was Ellen's first bike tour. (Well, the first out of the
> womb. We did a 10-day tour in Scotland last year when she was a fetus just a few weeks old.)

Give over Myra! I was having my dinner! Nice story :) Simon Mason

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote
> Good to hear from you Myra. Have the comfort problems (was it wrists?) that drove you onto the
> Brom to be more upright just before Ellen arrived receded since she was born? Hope so!

I had a bad case of pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome: water retention squeezed the nerve in
the carpal tunnel resulting in lots of tingling initially, then later shooting pains in my hands and
the loss of much of the strength in my hands. I had to hold my dinner knife in a very strange way in
order to cut anything, and bike maintenance was out of the question.

When Ellen was born, I would stroke her with the back of my hand, as I had more feeling in the back
of my hand than in the fingertips...

Happily, the problems are 99% gone. The shooting pains and loss of strength cleared up pretty
quickly (within a month, I would guess) and the tingling has gradually gone away as the nerve has
repaired itself. Now the left ring finger is still a tiny bit tingly, but that's all. It looks like
my hands will make a complete recovery soon.

-Myra

"Myra VanInwegen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> And that was Ellen's first bike tour. (Well, the first out of the womb. We did a 10-day tour in
> Scotland last year when she was a fetus just a few weeks old.)

In the same way it could be said that I have Snowdon in t'blood :)

--
Guy
===

WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.com

"Myra VanInwegen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All-
>
> I have been absent for a long time due to having a new baby daughter (now almost 5 months old) and
> working part time. The part time work was accomplished by having a Mother's Help come over and
> watch Ellen while I worked in the home office. Well, Mother's Help has just quit giving no notice,
> so in order to not be too frustrated I'm taking advantage of Ellen's nap to fill you in on what's
> been happening.
>
> Before Ellen was born we got a Burley Solo trailer. We didn't use it until Ellen was almost 2
> months old, then we strapped in a baby car seat and started pedalling. Now I use it very
> frequently, taking Ellen for little shopping trips (to the market downtown, to visit the farm
> shops, to see the egg lady -- who keeps chickens and sells eggs for 1 quid a dozen) or just to go
> for a little ride.
>
> Ellen really likes going places in the bike trailer. Initially she cried when I strapped her in,
> but was quiet as soon as I started moving. Recently, she has been quiet as soon as I put her in
> the trailer, in anticipation of going for a bike ride.
>
> This past weekend we went for a very small bike tour. On Friday we attached the trailer to our
> tandem (which we bought ourselves as an engagement present), put on panniers filled with clothes,
> and pedalled to Bury St Edmunds, which is just over 30 miles away. One you get a bit east of
> Cambridge is starts getting a bit hilly, so we spent some time struggling up hills in the granny
> ring. We stopped in Newmarket for lunch and arrived in Bury St Edmuds about 5:15, having started
> out at 12:30 in order to let the rain pass us by. We did about 32 miles that day.
>
> On Saturday it was brightly sunny, and we wandered around Bury St Edmunds, taking in the sights.
>
> On Sunday, we decided to take a more northernly route home, as it would be flatter (somehow on a
> straight line between Cambridge and BSE you find a fair few hills, but arch north and it's almost
> deadly flat). We first stopped by the Anglo-Saxon Village at West Stow, about 6 miles northwest of
> BSE. This is the site of an Anglo-Saxon village in the 5th-7th centuries, and they have
> reconstructed a few houses so you get an idea of what it might have been like to live there.
> There's also a small museum that shows the artifacts they found there. Then after lunch in the
> cafe there we headed off. We stopped again in Burwell, not too far from Cambridge, for ice cream.
> Finally we got home to Cambridge, about 5pm, with almost 40 miles on the speedo.
>
> And that was Ellen's first bike tour. (Well, the first out of the womb. We did a 10-day tour in
> Scotland last year when she was a fetus just a few weeks old.)
>
> -Myra

Welcome back Myra...glad to hear it's all going (relatively) well and that you've already got little
Ellen into cycling. Really wish I'd been back into cycling when mine were born. Unfortunately, I
left it a bit late ;-) Dave.

Hi Myra,

Good to hear from you and glad to hear that you have the wee one converted to life sans motor.

Five months already. Doesn't time fly? Our sproglet is now approaching 11 months and I must say that the last 6 have been much more fun than the first five. Smiles, crawling, getting into mischief, plus you get to sleep through the night again (well most nights at least).

Cheers,

Andy

On 4 Aug 2003 03:51:15 -0700, [email protected] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote:

>Hi All-
>
>I have been absent for a long time due to having a new baby daughter (now almost 5 months old) and
>working part time.

I've been absent for yonks as well, mainly cos I have too many newsgroups and forums to keep up with
so I have to rotate them in large shifts :) . I also have a new addition to the family! Congrats on
yours Myra, although my little daughter is only 7 weeks old now.

I can't wait to try out a trailer, but she can't sit up yet.

I

Iain Norman | teknohippy.com

teknohippy <[email protected]> wrote:

: I've been absent for yonks as well, mainly cos I have too many newsgroups and forums to keep up
: with so I have to rotate them in large shifts :) . I also have a new addition to the family!
: Congrats on yours Myra, although my little daughter is only 7 weeks old now.

Congratulations!

Arthur

On 8 Aug 2003 09:43:57 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Congratulations!

Ta Arthur, Did you do Velo Mags Etape this year?

I wasn't allowed to go, obviously :)

--
Iain Norman | teknohippy.com

teknohippy <[email protected]> wrote:
: On 8 Aug 2003 09:43:57 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

: Ta Arthur, Did you do Velo Mags Etape this year?

Nope. I blew all my money and leave time on going to Oz for a month :)

: I wasn't allowed to go, obviously :)

Funny that...

I'm hoping to do it again next year (2004).

Arthur

In message <[email protected]>, teknohippy <[email protected]> writes
>On 4 Aug 2003 03:51:15 -0700, [email protected] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote:
>
>>Hi All-
>>
>>I have been absent for a long time due to having a new baby daughter (now almost 5 months old) and
>>working part time.
>
> I also have a new addition to the family! Congrats on yours Myra, although my little daughter is
> only 7 weeks old now.
>
>I can't wait to try out a trailer, but she can't sit up yet.
>
She doesn't need to, you can strap in a car seat (Weber even make a seat for this - called rather
cutely the Baby Bowl - or maybe that's just the translation) )
--
Chris French, Leeds

In message <[email protected]>, Myra VanInwegen
<[email protected]> writes
>Hi All-
>
>
>
>This past weekend we went for a very small bike tour. On Friday we attached the trailer to our
>tandem (which we bought ourselves as an engagement present), put on panniers filled with clothes,
>and pedalled to Bury St Edmunds, which is just over 30 miles away.

<snip.

Sounds good, I have yet to get beyond day rides yet, though plans to introduce DD to the delights of
Hostelling are awaiting fruition.

Helen is attracted to the idea of a Tandem - we can't really afford it but we have increased the
mortgage on the house to fund some renovations.......
--
Chris French, Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.