Myrtle Beach Area riding???

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Tomcat, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Tomcat

    Tomcat Guest

    Hello, I am thinking of going to Myrtle Beach the week of April 19-- 27. How is the cycling in
    that area?

    Tags:

  2. Velonut

    Velonut Guest

    <Hello, I am thinking of going to Myrtle Beach the week of April 19-- 27. How is the cycling in
    that area?>

    In one word - tough. Rode thru that area in 2000 on a trip from FL to DC. Lots of traffic and little
    cycling infrastructure.

    On the other hand, the moment we passed into North Carolina, we encountered bike route signs and
    three lane roads that permitted cars to pass safely. The NC drivers were vastly more bike friendly
    than SC drivers.

    If I ever make that trip again, I will bypass Myrtle Beach completely.

    HTH

    Dale Lally Pompano Beach FL Regards from the Velo Nut

    Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "TomCAt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Hello, I am thinking of going to Myrtle Beach the week of
    April 19-- 27.
    > How is the cycling in that area?

    It's definately not a top cycling destination, but it's still workable if you're going there anyway.
    I visit often -- my sister lives there.

    Mostly I just ride up and down Business 17, and through the oceanfront neighborhoods. It's not bad
    riding by any means, but tacky strip/sprawl architecture is not my idea of great scenery. The best
    riding is probably through North Myrtle Beach. The neighborhoods are nicer, and there aren't always
    houses blocking your view of the ocean. There are usually plenty of riders out.

    You can also ride on the beach itself. It's technically not allowed in some places, but no one will
    give you a hard time -- especially in late afternoon.

    The biggest problem is that while most in-town roads are fine, the highways and secondary roads
    you need to take to go from A to B are not bike-friendly. I have little faith in SC drivers, and
    accident rates aren't reassuring. I've been looking for good day-trip type rides, and haven't
    found much.

    The most promising ride for my next trip is from Murrel's Inlet to Conway. Murril's Inlet is kind of
    neat, and Conway is kind of neat too -- a sleepy little old southern town on the intracoastal
    waterway. The road connecting them (707) doesn't seem as dangerous as some others in the area.

    Another idea is to head south on 17 to Pawley's Island. It's a neat place, with classic beach homes
    over 100 years old, and a fantastic beach at the mouth of a beautiful inlet. However, I'm still wary
    of that stretch of Hwy 17. If you just want to pedal around casually for a few miles, it's worth
    taking your bike down there in the car. It's much prettier than Myrtle Beach proper, and the houses,
    beach, and inlet much more interesting.

    Highly recommended -- Benjamin's Bagel in Surfside, and lunch at Brookgreen Gardens. The plantation
    tour at Brookgreen/Huntington is interesting too.

    Matt O.

  4. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On 30 Mar 2003 16:50:18 GMT, "TomCAt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello, I am thinking of going to Myrtle Beach the week of April 19-- 27. How is the cycling in
    >that area?

    I would recommend the beach just south of Myrtle - Garden City. I found riding business 17 from
    there to several of the smaller towns and almost all the way to Charleston not that bad