Mysteries of the unexplained

Joao De Souza

Guest
Okay, this one is a mystery to me.

Went for a quick ride on my Bacchetta yesterday, and noticed that my aerotrunk kept hitting the
rear tire everytime I hit a bump. I thought it was a bit odd, since I have about 1.5 to 2 inches
space between the two and the trunk was mostly empty, except for the few things I always carry on
it. So I decided to stop to raise that back of the seat a bit. Much to my surprised, one of those
little pins with the metal hoops that holds the seat angle support in place was missing. It was a
simple fix, but I can't figure out how the heck it came off in the first place considering how much
pressure is on them. Any Bacchetta or Rans owner out there ever seen this? And anyone knows where I
can get another one of those pins? I'm using a bolt and nut setup right now, which isn't exactly
quick release.

Cheers.

> Okay, this one is a mystery to me.
>
> Went for a quick ride on my Bacchetta yesterday, and noticed that my aerotrunk kept hitting the
> rear tire everytime I hit a bump. I thought it was a bit odd, since I have about 1.5 to 2 inches
> space between the two and the trunk was mostly empty, except for the few things I always carry on
> it. So I decided to stop to raise that back of the seat a bit. Much to my surprised, one of those
> little pins with the metal hoops that holds the seat angle support in place was missing. It was a
> simple fix, but I can't figure out how the heck it came off in the first place considering how
> much pressure is on them. Any Bacchetta or Rans owner out there ever seen this? And anyone knows
> where I can get another one of those pins? I'm using a bolt and nut setup right now, which isn't
> exactly quick release.
>
> Cheers.

The HostelShoppe sells RANS 'grenade pins'. I think they will work with the Bacchetta seat.
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983911985

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Joao de Souza <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Okay, this one is a mystery to me.
>
> Much to my surprised, one of those little pins with the metal hoops that holds the seat angle
> support in place was missing. It was a simple fix, but I can't figure out how the heck it came
> off in the first place considering how much pressure is on them. Any Bacchetta or Rans owner out
> there ever seen this?

Perhaps some ruffian made off with it while the bike was parked?

If it fell out "all by itself", I'd expect one or both sides of the aluminum tube to be distorted.

Jeff

>nyone knows where I can get another one of those pins? I'm using a bolt and nut >setup right now,
>which isn't exactly quick release.
I'd try the local Marine supply store if you have one.(West,Boat US).There are some sailboat pins
that will interchange...Mark C.

Glad you brought that up. I noticed that one of the pins on my new Strada came out too easily when
I adjusted the seat. Guess I better replace it with a bolt. I also have a RANS Rocket. I measured
the pins and holes. The Strada has the same size pin, but the holes are slightly bigger. That also
explains why the seat makes more noise than the RANS. There's a little too much hole clearance.
Dan Kluckhuhn

"Joao de Souza" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Okay, this one is a mystery to me.
>
> Went for a quick ride on my Bacchetta yesterday, and noticed that my aerotrunk kept hitting the
> rear tire everytime I hit a bump. I thought it was a bit odd, since I have about 1.5 to 2 inches
> space between the two and the trunk was mostly empty, except for the few things I always carry on
> it. So I decided to stop to raise that back of the seat a bit. Much to my surprised, one of those
> little pins with the metal hoops that holds the seat angle support in place was missing. It was a
> simple fix, but I can't figure out how the heck it came off in the first place considering how
> much pressure is on them. Any Bacchetta or Rans owner out there ever seen this? And anyone knows
> where I can get another one of those pins? I'm using a bolt and nut setup right now, which isn't
> exactly quick release.
>
> Cheers.

> The Strada has the same size pin, but the holes are slightly bigger. That
also explains
> why the seat makes more noise than the RANS. There's a little too much
hole
> clearance.

The pins on my RANS V-Rex were extremely tight and I used a plastic-headed hammer to drive them in
or out. Forget about adjusting the seat during a ride. I like the looser fit of the pins on my Giro.
But I'll keep an eye on them.

Jeff Wills wrote:

> Perhaps some ruffian made off with it while the bike was parked?

I live in NYC. If I were to park my bike, it would be gone faster than you can say "Doh!" ;-)

> If it fell out "all by itself", I'd expect one or both sides of the aluminum tube to be distorted.

They look fine, and the pin goes in with the same ammount of effort as it did before.