Mysterious Creaking...Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brian, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I need help eliminating a creaking sound.

    Specs: I have an Abici XLR8R that is an aluminum frame with carbon seat stays and carbon fork. Campy
    Chorus groupo, 3T stem and handlebars. It has Approx. 5000 miles on it.

    The creaking occurs both when I stand on the pedals and when I ride in the saddle. The creak occurs
    when there is tension in the pedals above approximately 15 mph. So you hear the creaking when
    climbing and when pushing on flats. I have tried two wheel sets (Mavic Open Pro, Campy Protons) both
    with different skewers and the creak is still there. I cant quite tell exactly where the creak is
    coming from since it resonates in the aluminum frame. I took it to my LBS and this is what was done:

    -BB pulled and regreased -Chain ring bolts regreased and tightened -Cranks pulled and spindles
    regreased -Crank bolts greased, cranks tightened -Seat post greased -Rear derailleur drop out
    greased -Pedals (Speedplay, X2s) removed and regreased (note: creak appears with just riding on
    regular tennis shoes) -Different Saddles have been used too -No cracks have been found at any of the
    aluminum bonds upon inspection

    The creak doesnt get any louder when really pushing up hill or when even attacking uphill or
    doing TTs.

    I am stumped, frustrated and need any advice that you can offer. Any help is much
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Brian

    Tags:

  2. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

    Brian <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]

    Grease the handlebars.

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I need help eliminating a creaking sound.
    >
    > Specs: I have an Abici XLR8R that is an aluminum frame with
    carbon seat stays
    > and carbon fork. Campy Chorus groupo, 3T stem and
    handlebars. It has
    > Approx. 5000 miles on it.
    >
    > The creaking occurs both when I stand on the pedals and
    when I ride in
    > the saddle. The creak occurs when there is tension in the
    pedals
    > above approximately 15 mph. So you hear the creaking when
    climbing
    > and when pushing on flats. I have tried two wheel sets
    (Mavic Open
    > Pro, Campy Protons) both with different skewers and the
    creak is still
    > there. I cant quite tell exactly where the creak is
    coming from since
    > it resonates in the aluminum frame. I took it to my LBS
    and this is
    > what was done:
    >
    > -BB pulled and regreased -Chain ring bolts regreased and tightened -Cranks pulled and spindles
    > regreased -Crank bolts greased, cranks tightened -Seat post greased -Rear derailleur drop out
    > greased -Pedals (Speedplay, X2s) removed and regreased (note:
    creak appears
    > with just riding on regular tennis shoes) -Different Saddles have been used too -No cracks have
    > been found at any of the aluminum bonds
    upon
    > inspection
    >
    > The creak doesnt get any louder when really pushing up
    hill or when
    > even attacking uphill or doing TTs.
    >
    > I am stumped, frustrated and need any advice that you can
    offer. Any
    > help is much appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Brian

    May not be applicable to your case, since you've tried two wheelsets, but I just fixed a 'creak' on
    my aluminum road bike by following the recommendations of Peter Chisolm at Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    in an old post on this newsgroup - which was to remove the cassette, grease the freehub splines, and
    tighten the cassette lockring to spec....

  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    > Brian <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : I need help eliminating a creaking sound.
    >
    > : Specs: I have an Abici XLR8R that is an aluminum frame with carbon seat stays and carbon fork.
    > : Campy Chorus groupo, 3T stem and handlebars. It has Approx. 5000 miles on it.
    >
    > : The creaking occurs both when I stand on the pedals and when I ride in the saddle. The creak
    > : occurs when there is tension in the pedals above approximately 15 mph. So you hear the creaking
    > : when climbing and when pushing on flats. I have tried two wheel sets (Mavic Open Pro, Campy
    > : Protons) both with different skewers and the creak is still there. I cant quite tell exactly
    > : where the creak is coming from since it resonates in the aluminum frame. I took it to my LBS and
    > : this is what was done:
    >
    > : -BB pulled and regreased -Chain ring bolts regreased and tightened -Cranks pulled and spindles
    > : regreased -Crank bolts greased, cranks tightened -Seat post greased -Rear derailleur drop out
    > : greased -Pedals (Speedplay, X2s) removed and regreased (note: creak appears with just riding on
    > : regular tennis shoes) -Different Saddles have been used too -No cracks have been found at any of
    > : the aluminum bonds upon inspection
    >
    > : The creak doesnt get any louder when really pushing up hill or when even attacking uphill or
    > : doing TTs.
    >
    > : I am stumped, frustrated and need any advice that you can offer. Any help is much appreciated.
    > : Thanks.
    >
    > : Brian
    >
    > Grease the handlebars.
    >
    > --------------------------------
    > Bob Masse' [email protected]
    > --------------------------------

    I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and went through all of the drive train and seat
    related tightening and greasing to no avail. I was convinced that it was the bottom bracket. Turned
    out to be a stem / bar issue.

    Try riding no hands with force on the pedals and see if the problem is still there.

    Bill Brannon

  5. Same problem here. Turned out to be my cleat bolts needed a little grease and tightened up
    real tight.

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Brian <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > : I need help eliminating a creaking sound.
    > >
    > > : Specs: I have an Abici XLR8R that is an aluminum frame with carbon seat stays and carbon fork.
    > > : Campy Chorus groupo, 3T stem and handlebars. It has Approx. 5000 miles on it.
    > >
    > > : The creaking occurs both when I stand on the pedals and when I ride in the saddle. The creak
    > > : occurs when there is tension in the pedals above approximately 15 mph. So you hear the
    > > : creaking when climbing and when pushing on flats. I have tried two wheel sets (Mavic Open Pro,
    > > : Campy Protons) both with different skewers and the creak is still there. I cant quite tell
    > > : exactly where the creak is coming from since it resonates in the aluminum frame. I took it to
    > > : my LBS and this is what was done:
    > >
    > > : -BB pulled and regreased -Chain ring bolts regreased and tightened -Cranks pulled and spindles
    > > : regreased -Crank bolts greased, cranks tightened -Seat post greased -Rear derailleur drop out
    > > : greased -Pedals (Speedplay, X2s) removed and regreased (note: creak appears with just riding
    > > : on regular tennis shoes) -Different Saddles have been used too -No cracks have been found at
    > > : any of the aluminum bonds upon inspection
    > >
    > > : The creak doesnt get any louder when really pushing up hill or when even attacking uphill or
    > > : doing TTs.
    > >
    > > : I am stumped, frustrated and need any advice that you can offer. Any help is much appreciated.
    > > : Thanks.
    > >
    > > : Brian
    > >
    > > Grease the handlebars.
    > >
    > > --------------------------------
    > > Bob Masse' [email protected]
    > > --------------------------------
    > >
    > I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and went through all of the drive train and seat
    > related tightening and greasing to no avail. I was convinced that it was the bottom bracket.
    > Turned out to be a stem / bar issue.
    >
    > Try riding no hands with force on the pedals and see if the problem is
    still
    > there.
    >
    > Bill Brannon

  6. Phil Lee

    Phil Lee Guest

    "George Maxwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Same problem here. Turned out to be my cleat bolts needed a little grease and tightened up
    > real tight.

    Hear hear... mine need to be greased/tightened, too. I can tell it's from the stem anyways.

    OP, if your LBS didn't think about the handlebars, then you may want to find another monkey house to
    do your work, especially on that bike.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. "Brian" <[email protected].net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I need help eliminating a creaking sound.
    <snip>

    I too have been the victim of various creaks that were hard-to-find over the years:

    - Stem/handlebar, make sure the clamp is clean and tightend correctly
    - Headset bearing, too me ages to spot that, thought it was the BB (!)
    - Hub/dropout, this is the killer one. I have Rolf Vector Pros and Marzocchi carbon forks, and the
    bike makes a real din out of the saddle, unless I grease the fork dropouts.

  8. bkey-<< The creaking occurs both when I stand on the pedals and when I ride in the saddle.

    << -Cranks pulled and spindles regreased

    No comment-

    Remove the seatpost, warm some boiled lindseed oil and dribble into seat tube. Move the frameset
    around to coat the seattube/BB shell interface. Try to get some into the seatstay to the carbon stay
    if possible. I have fixed mysterious creaks on a Ellsworth, C-Dale, Pinarello and DeRosa doing this.
    It lubes the sometimes poor miter of the seattube to the BB on aluminum...try it.

  9. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    I had a mysterious creak on my Giant. Turned out to be the handle bars. Grease and retighten.

    Good Luck.:eek:

  10. CycleSteve

    CycleSteve New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    I have a Cannondale R4000 road bike, CAAD4 frame. C's are notorious for creaking. Or maybe it's aluminum frames that are especially susceptible to creaking. Here's what I've done, beginning with the easiest: 1) remove, grease, and reinstall the screws holding your water bottle cages to the frame - I've actually had creaking caused by these screws; 2) remove, clean and grease your seat stem; 3) remove, clean and grease the handlebar stem (I've got a threaded setup); 4) remove the cogs and clean and grease the spindle; 5) disassemble your chainrings, grease the screws that hold the chainrings together, and reassemble. What I've always thought was creaking caused by the BB turned out to be one of the things above.

    Hope this helps.

  11. Ken Freeland

    Ken Freeland Guest

    Saddle may be too far up/back against tube up-slope, happened to me. Take a look at your cassette,
    may be loose. Could be carbon/alu bonding issue? Ken

    On 22 Aug 2003 16:34:14 +0950, CycleSteve
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Brian wrote:
    > > I need help eliminating a creaking sound. Specs: I have an Abici XLR8R that is an aluminum
    > > frame with carbon seat stays and carbon fork. Campy Chorus groupo, 3T stem and handlebars. It
    > > has Approx. 5000 miles on it. The creaking occurs both when I stand on the pedals and when I
    > > ride in the saddle. The creak occurs when there is tension in the pedals above approximately 15
    > > mph. So you hear the creaking when climbing and when pushing on flats. I have tried two wheel
    > > sets (Mavic Open Pro, Campy Protons) both with different skewers and the creak is still there.
    > > I cant quite tell exactly where the creak is coming from since it resonates in the aluminum
    > > frame. I took it to my LBS and this is what was done: -BB pulled and regreased -Chain ring
    > > bolts regreased and tightened -Cranks pulled and spindles regreased -Crank bolts greased,
    > > cranks tightened -Seat post greased -Rear derailleur drop out greased -Pedals (Speedplay, X2s)
    > > removed and regreased (note: creak appears with just riding on regular tennis shoes) -Different
    > > Saddles have been used too -No cracks have been found at any of the aluminum bonds upon
    > > inspection The creak doesnt get any louder when really pushing up hill or when even attacking
    > > uphill or doing TTs. I am stumped, frustrated and need any advice that you can offer. Any help
    > > is much appreciated. Thanks. Brian
    >

    >I have a Cannondale R4000 road bike, CAAD4 frame. C's are notorious for creaking. Or maybe it's
    >aluminum frames that are especially susceptible to creaking. Here's what I've done, beginning with
    >the easiest: 1) remove, grease, and reinstall the screws holding your water bottle cages to the
    >frame - I've actually had creaking caused by these screws; 2) remove, clean and grease your seat
    >stem; 3) remove, clean and grease the handlebar stem (I've got a threaded setup); 4) remove the
    >cogs and clean and grease the spindle; 5) disassemble your chainrings, grease the screws that hold
    >the chainrings together, and reassemble. What I've always thought was creaking caused by the BB
    >turned out to be one of the things above.
    >
    >Hope this helps.

  12. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > Brian wrote:
    > > I need help eliminating a creaking sound.

    I was plagued with a mysterious creaking sound and it turned out to be my Look pedal cleats. I was
    told to remove the cleats, file down the edges, clean the shoe bottom , and remount the cleats.
    Since then---no creaking! I suggest you try riding your bike wearing tennis shoes to see if the
    creaking disappears. That is what I found out. BTW: this started after a 100K that was mostly done
    in a light rain. I oiled the pedals, too.

    Pat in TX

  13. Bruni

    Bruni Guest

    I had a Colnago c-40 in my shop who's owner had tried everything. It turned out to be a loose screw
    atop the dropout connecting the carbon stay plug to the drop. Tom
    --
    Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
    news:[email protected]...