Mystery bicycle repair tool

I'm stumped.

What do you repair with this very simple 1898 bicycle repair tool?
http://www.google.com/patents?id=R7QoAAAAEBAJ&dq=d29718&jtp=1#PPP1,M1

Most bicycle repairs involve tires, wheels, or chains.

Julius claimed that the shape of his bicycle repair tool was the
leading feature of his design, apparently meaning the angle at which
the spear-point is bent to one side.

Each side of the spear-point is roughened, like a file. It looks like
a giant spear-point woodworking riffler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RifflerFiles.jpg

Maybe it was for removing punctured glued-on tires from wooden rims?

But the spear-point seems rather aggressive for a tire-lever, and why
would the sides of the tool need to be roughened like a file?

What does it repair?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:08:11 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> I'm stumped.
>
> What do you repair with this very simple 1898 bicycle repair tool?
> http://www.google.com/patents?id=R7QoAAAAEBAJ&dq=d29718&jtp=1#PPP1,M1
>
> Most bicycle repairs involve tires, wheels, or chains.
>
> Julius claimed that the shape of his bicycle repair tool was the
> leading feature of his design, apparently meaning the angle at which
> the spear-point is bent to one side.
>
> Each side of the spear-point is roughened, like a file. It looks like
> a giant spear-point woodworking riffler:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RifflerFiles.jpg
>
> Maybe it was for removing punctured glued-on tires from wooden rims?
>
> But the spear-point seems rather aggressive for a tire-lever, and why
> would the sides of the tool need to be roughened like a file?
>
> What does it repair?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

a) The cros-hatching may not be an indication of "roughening", but merely
that of a shadowed surface.

b) perhaps a remover for wired-on tyres? 1898 is only a decade after
Dunlop's patent...

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:43:57 GMT, _
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:08:11 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I'm stumped.
>>
>> What do you repair with this very simple 1898 bicycle repair tool?
>> http://www.google.com/patents?id=R7QoAAAAEBAJ&dq=d29718&jtp=1#PPP1,M1
>>
>> Most bicycle repairs involve tires, wheels, or chains.
>>
>> Julius claimed that the shape of his bicycle repair tool was the
>> leading feature of his design, apparently meaning the angle at which
>> the spear-point is bent to one side.
>>
>> Each side of the spear-point is roughened, like a file. It looks like
>> a giant spear-point woodworking riffler:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RifflerFiles.jpg
>>
>> Maybe it was for removing punctured glued-on tires from wooden rims?
>>
>> But the spear-point seems rather aggressive for a tire-lever, and why
>> would the sides of the tool need to be roughened like a file?
>>
>> What does it repair?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

>a) The cross-hatching may not be an indication of "roughening", but merely
>that of a shadowed surface.
>
>b) perhaps a remover for wired-on tyres? 1898 is only a decade after
>Dunlop's patent...

Dear JT,

The patent text says that "the upper and lower sides of the end are
roughened."

Like you, I keep thinking a tire tool of some kind, maybe because it
looks a little like a tire lever at first glance.

They had glued-on tires, wired-on tires, and all sorts of other
oddball tires.

But I just can't think what I'd do with that spear-point to repair a
tire (or a chain or a wooden rim or a broken spoke or anything else).

Google doesn't come up with "Julius Jodry" doing anything else.

The dumb thing almost looks like a tool for working on dental plates.

Maybe it really was a woodworking riffler and used to pick out
splinters and smooth minor damage on wooden rims?

The only thing worse than my bicycle repair skills is my carpentry,
but that thing doesn't look as if it would be much use trying to
repair a damaged wooden rim.

Maybe some kind of leather-working tool for repairing seats?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On 2008-02-05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:43:57 GMT, _
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:08:11 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> I'm stumped.
>>>
>>> What do you repair with this very simple 1898 bicycle repair tool?
>>> http://www.google.com/patents?id=R7QoAAAAEBAJ&dq=d29718&jtp=1#PPP1,M1
>>>
>>> Most bicycle repairs involve tires, wheels, or chains.
>>>
>>> Julius claimed that the shape of his bicycle repair tool was the
>>> leading feature of his design, apparently meaning the angle at which
>>> the spear-point is bent to one side.
>>>
>>> Each side of the spear-point is roughened, like a file. It looks like
>>> a giant spear-point woodworking riffler:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RifflerFiles.jpg
>>>
>>> Maybe it was for removing punctured glued-on tires from wooden rims?
>>>
>>> But the spear-point seems rather aggressive for a tire-lever, and why
>>> would the sides of the tool need to be roughened like a file?
>>>
>>> What does it repair?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Carl Fogel

>>a) The cross-hatching may not be an indication of "roughening", but merely
>>that of a shadowed surface.
>>
>>b) perhaps a remover for wired-on tyres? 1898 is only a decade after
>>Dunlop's patent...

> Dear JT,
>
> The patent text says that "the upper and lower sides of the end are
> roughened."
>
> Like you, I keep thinking a tire tool of some kind, maybe because it
> looks a little like a tire lever at first glance.

The patent text says it's for tyres. "new and original Design for a
Bicycle-Tire Repair-Tool"

Exactly how you repair tyres with it I don't know.

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:16:41 -0600, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2008-02-05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:43:57 GMT, _
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>a) The cross-hatching may not be an indication of "roughening", but merely
>>>that of a shadowed surface.
>>>
>>>b) perhaps a remover for wired-on tyres? 1898 is only a decade after
>>>Dunlop's patent...

>> Dear JT,
>>
>> The patent text says that "the upper and lower sides of the end are
>> roughened."
>>
>> Like you, I keep thinking a tire tool of some kind, maybe because it
>> looks a little like a tire lever at first glance.

>The patent text says it's for tyres. "new and original Design for a
>Bicycle-Tire Repair-Tool"
>
>Exactly how you repair tyres with it I don't know.

Dear Ben,

You're right--the title doesn't say "tire" and I missed the "tire"
reference in the text.

Maybe it's for scraping and picking old glue or shellac off wooden
rims? Or off tire casings?

They did sell plenty of tire shellac back then:
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/morley/14.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:16:41 -0600, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

>The patent text says it's for tyres. "new and original Design for a
>Bicycle-Tire Repair-Tool"
>
>Exactly how you repair tyres with it I don't know.

Seam ripper for sew-up tires?
Perhaps it's for roughening the surface of an inner tube before
patching it.
--
zk

On Feb 5, 3:06 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:43:57 GMT, _
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:08:11 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> >> I'm stumped.

> >> What do you repair with this very simple 1898 bicycle repair tool?
> >>  http://www.google.com/patents?id=R7QoAAAAEBAJ&dq=d29718&jtp=1#PPP1,M1

> >> Most bicycle repairs involve tires, wheels, or chains.

> >> Julius claimed that the shape of his bicycle repair tool was the
> >> leading feature of his design, apparently meaning the angle at which
> >> the spear-point is bent to one side.

> >> Each side of the spear-point is roughened, like a file. It looks like
> >> a giant spear-point woodworking riffler:
> >>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RifflerFiles.jpg

> >> Maybe it was for removing punctured glued-on tires from wooden rims?

> >> But the spear-point seems rather aggressive for a tire-lever, and why
> >> would the sides of the tool need to be roughened like a file?

> >> What does it repair?

> >> Cheers,

> >> Carl Fogel

> >a) The cross-hatching may not be an indication of "roughening", but merely
> >that of a shadowed surface.

> >b) perhaps a remover for wired-on tyres?  1898 is only a decade after
> >Dunlop's patent...

> Dear JT,
>
> The patent text says that "the upper and lower sides of the end are
> roughened."
>
> Like you, I keep thinking a tire tool of some kind, maybe because it
> looks a little like a tire lever at first glance.
>
> They had glued-on tires, wired-on tires, and all sorts of other
> oddball tires.
>
> But I just can't think what I'd do with that spear-point to repair a
> tire (or a chain or a wooden rim or a broken spoke or anything else).
>
> Google doesn't come up with "Julius Jodry" doing anything else.
>
> The dumb thing almost looks like a tool for working on dental plates.
>
> Maybe it really was a woodworking riffler and used to pick out
> splinters and smooth minor damage on wooden rims?
>
> The only thing worse than my bicycle repair skills is my carpentry,
> but that thing doesn't look as if it would be much use trying to
> repair a damaged wooden rim.
>
> Maybe some kind of leather-working tool for repairing seats?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

Maybe it's not a tool to repair anything, but to stab the
competition's tires with...

...and then use it for surgery on their remaining teeth.

/s

On Feb 5, 2:08 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I'm stumped.
>
> What do you repair with this very simple 1898 bicycle repair tool?
> http://www.google.com/patents?id=R7QoAAAAEBAJ&dq=d29718&jtp=1#PPP1,M1
>
> Most bicycle repairs involve tires, wheels, or chains.
>
> Julius claimed that the shape of his bicycle repair tool was the
> leading feature of his design, apparently meaning the angle at which
> the spear-point is bent to one side.
>
> Each side of the spear-point is roughened, like a file. It looks like
> a giant spear-point woodworking riffler:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RifflerFiles.jpg
>
> Maybe it was for removing punctured glued-on tires from wooden rims?
>
> But the spear-point seems rather aggressive for a tire-lever, and why
> would the sides of the tool need to be roughened like a file?
>
> What does it repair?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Functions of said tool :

1. Tire lever
2. Scraping mud off tires
3. Slipping it in your opponent's spokes
4. Scratching back while riding...

.... All the above, leading to performance enhancement.

Ron
http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com