Mystery braze-ons on Giant MTB frames

Hi,

On several Giant MTBs (dating from the 1990s), I've spotted some
brazed on bosses that I can't see the purpose of.

The first is inside the left fork leg (and only on that side) and is
about 25mm below the left cantilever post (but at 90deg to it).
Perhaps a dynamo fitting?

The second (pair) are on the front sides of the seatstays and about
60mm further up (towards the saddle) than the cantilever posts. You
can see one of them in this pic

http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sl380202ws2.jpg

Any ideas, please?

Richard.

The dynamo fitting sounds like a good guess to me. For the others,
I'd say rack mounting bosses. It looks like there are appropriate
holes down by the hub as well.

Colin

[email protected] wrote:
> The second (pair) are on the front sides of the seatstays and
> about 60mm further up (towards the saddle) than the cantilever
> posts. You can see one of them in this pic

You can mount a lock there, e.g. Abus.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei

On Jun 11, 4:26 am, [email protected] wrote:

> The second (pair) are on the front sides of the seatstays and about
> 60mm further up (towards the saddle) than the cantilever posts. You
> can see one of them in this pic
>
> http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sl380202ws2.jpg

..

They looks too narrowly fitted to be for a rack (and a little low) so
the shopper's lock idea sounds right.

Oh, and that bike has tire creep. Watch those valve stems!

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:16:02 -0700 (PDT), Brian Huntley
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh, and that bike has tire creep. Watch those valve stems!

Chain "stretch," too. Time for a new one, before it kills the
cogs.