Mystery creak - It's returned!!

ScottishDan

Jul 26, 2005
Well I got some handy hints of you last time so I'm gonna try you all again:

I am very confident I have found the source of the creak but now I need help to remedy it.

I am sure that the creak is coming from the left hand crank (If I stand on the cranks when they are horizontal, they creak then it stops. If I turn the cranks through 180 degrees, stand on them again, they creak again. I can feel the creak on the left hand side) The bike runs great, but it just bugs the shite out of me.

No matter how much I tighten this crank on to the taper, it still creaks. I am sure that putting grease on the taper is a bad idea so what should I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Dan

ScottishDan said:
Well I got some handy hints of you last time so I'm gonna try you all again:

I am very confident I have found the source of the creak but now I need help to remedy it.

I am sure that the creak is coming from the left hand crank (If I stand on the cranks when they are horizontal, they creak then it stops. If I turn the cranks through 180 degrees, stand on them again, they creak again. I can feel the creak on the left hand side) The bike runs great, but it just bugs the shite out of me.

No matter how much I tighten this crank on to the taper, it still creaks. I am sure that putting grease on the taper is a bad idea so what should I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Dan
Have you tried looking for rubbing spots between cleat and pedal? It might not be in the crank at all.

this was originally for kreaky eggbeaters, yeah?

if so, my new ones did the same thing. far from quiet.
strangely enough it seemed to be mostly from the left one.
i was thinking it might be my riding technique - left leg gets a little lazy at times...