Mystery grommets

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by POHB, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. POHB

    POHB Guest

    Just been giving the bike a long-overdue clean and lube, including
    oiling the brake cables. When I went to hook the rear brake cable back
    on the frame I noticed it had 3 little soft rubber thingies threaded on
    it between the front sheath and back sheath ( it runs naked along the
    crossbar). I wasn't sure where they were meant to go. I tried using
    them to kind of cushion the ends of the sheaths against the bits on the
    frame that they slot into but they just squished up and stopped the
    cable moving freely. Any ideas? Right now they are just hanging on
    the cable.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    POHB wrote:
    > Just been giving the bike a long-overdue clean and lube, including
    > oiling the brake cables. When I went to hook the rear brake cable
    > back on the frame I noticed it had 3 little soft rubber thingies
    > threaded on it between the front sheath and back sheath ( it runs
    > naked along the crossbar). I wasn't sure where they were meant to
    > go. I tried using them to kind of cushion the ends of the sheaths
    > against the bits on the frame that they slot into but they just
    > squished up and stopped the cable moving freely. Any ideas? Right
    > now they are just hanging on the cable.

    I fit a few of these grommets evenly spaced along the naked bit to stop
    the cable tapping against the frame. I don't know if they were invented
    for any more serious function that this.

    ~PB

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    POHB wrote:
    > Just been giving the bike a long-overdue clean and lube, including
    > oiling the brake cables. When I went to hook the rear brake cable back
    > on the frame I noticed it had 3 little soft rubber thingies threaded on
    > it between the front sheath and back sheath ( it runs naked along the
    > crossbar). I wasn't sure where they were meant to go. I tried using
    > them to kind of cushion the ends of the sheaths against the bits on the
    > frame that they slot into but they just squished up and stopped the
    > cable moving freely. Any ideas? Right now they are just hanging on
    > the cable.

    Just string them along the exposed inner. They are designed to stop the
    exposed run of inner from scraping against the frame and damaging the
    paint. Nothing more.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  4. In article <[email protected]>, POHB wrote:
    >Just been giving the bike a long-overdue clean and lube, including
    >oiling the brake cables. When I went to hook the rear brake cable back
    >on the frame I noticed it had 3 little soft rubber thingies threaded on
    >it between the front sheath and back sheath ( it runs naked along the
    >crossbar). I wasn't sure where they were meant to go. I tried using
    >them to kind of cushion the ends of the sheaths against the bits on the
    >frame that they slot into but they just squished up and stopped the
    >cable moving freely. Any ideas? Right now they are just hanging on
    >the cable.

    They are supposed to stop the cable rubbing on the paint of the crossbar.
    Leave them just hanging there (assuming I've interpreted you correctly).

  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just been giving the bike a long-overdue clean and lube, including
    > oiling the brake cables. When I went to hook the rear brake cable back
    > on the frame I noticed it had 3 little soft rubber thingies threaded on
    > it between the front sheath and back sheath ( it runs naked along the
    > crossbar). I wasn't sure where they were meant to go. I tried using
    > them to kind of cushion the ends of the sheaths against the bits on the
    > frame that they slot into but they just squished up and stopped the
    > cable moving freely. Any ideas? Right now they are just hanging on
    > the cable.

    Wallace is sure to know.

  6. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:24:05 GMT, "Rich"
    > <[email protected]> said in
    > <[email protected]>:
    >

    >>Wallace is sure to know.

    > Are they made of cheese?

    Are they cracking?

    JimP

  7. POHB

    POHB Guest

    No, that was my old tyres.
    BTW I picked a couple of huge chunks of glass out of the Schwalbe
    Marathons, but NO puncture. Ha!

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  9. POHB

    POHB Guest

    OK thanks folks, I'll just space them out a bit then. None of the
    other cables have them but I guess they aren't running horizontally so
    all the little grommets would end up in a heap at one end.

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, POHB
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > Just been giving the bike a long-overdue clean and lube, including
    > > oiling the brake cables. When I went to hook the rear brake cable back
    > > on the frame I noticed it had 3 little soft rubber thingies threaded on
    > > it between the front sheath and back sheath ( it runs naked along the
    > > crossbar). I wasn't sure where they were meant to go.

    > They're meant to go exactly where they are. The theory is they space out
    > along the cable and stop the cable rubbing on and scratching your paint,
    > which, given the cable is under tension, it isn't very likely to do
    > anyway. But they weigh virtually nothing and at worst do no harm.

    Like halyards under tension won't slap against the mast? Work out the
    tension required to limit the catenary to the few mm and you'll realise
    it is not under anything like enough tension, hence the grommets. They
    are harmless, and possibly useful.

    ...d

  11. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    Put them along the bare brake cable. You can then use them to record how
    many times you have fallen off by moving one along, abacus stylee each time
    you do.

    "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just been giving the bike a long-overdue clean and lube, including
    > oiling the brake cables. When I went to hook the rear brake cable back
    > on the frame I noticed it had 3 little soft rubber thingies threaded on
    > it between the front sheath and back sheath ( it runs naked along the
    > crossbar). I wasn't sure where they were meant to go. I tried using
    > them to kind of cushion the ends of the sheaths against the bits on the
    > frame that they slot into but they just squished up and stopped the
    > cable moving freely. Any ideas? Right now they are just hanging on
    > the cable.

  12. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, David
    Martin ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >> in message <[email protected]>,
    >> POHB ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >> > Just been giving the bike a long-overdue clean and lube, including
    >> > oiling the brake cables. When I went to hook the rear brake cable
    >> > back on the frame I noticed it had 3 little soft rubber thingies
    >> > threaded on it between the front sheath and back sheath ( it runs
    >> > naked along the
    >> > crossbar). I wasn't sure where they were meant to go.

    >> They're meant to go exactly where they are. The theory is they space
    >> out along the cable and stop the cable rubbing on and scratching your
    >> paint, which, given the cable is under tension, it isn't very likely
    >> to do anyway. But they weigh virtually nothing and at worst do no
    >> harm.

    > Like halyards under tension won't slap against the mast?

    No, I haven't. Halyards slap against the mast at moorings precisely
    because they're not under sufficient tension; IME halyards /in/ /use/
    don't slap (and for one reason or another most of my boats have had
    external halyards, so if they did I'd know about it). What, IME, slaps
    at sea on my present boat is the VHF aerial and nav-light cables which
    run /inside/ the mast, and which I've had to go to great lengths with
    sections of preformed pipe-lagging to silence.

    > Work out the
    > tension required to limit the catenary to the few mm and you'll realise
    > it is not under anything like enough tension, hence the grommets. They
    > are harmless, and possibly useful.

    As I said.

    ;; ... exposing the violence incoherent in the system...

  13. POHB

    POHB Guest

    Hey, they really work. I hadn't spaced them out before I rode this morning
    and several times over bumps the cable was pinging against the frame,
    sounding just like a halyard against a mast.
    What a great bit of low-tech they are.