n00b:Help Me Decide on a new Road Bike. . .

RobotDeathSquad

Sep 9, 2004
I've got about $1500 to spend on a new Road Bike (upgrading from a Miata 210 that is way to big for me).

I'm looking at:
Specialized Allez Cro Moly (3 chain rings) with ALL Ultegra components (for $1300 on closeout).

Orbea Volata Triple
It's got Carbon Fork, Main Stays, Seat post, Campy Mirage Components.
($1100 on close out)

I'm looking for a good climbing bike pretty much. I live in Colorado so 3 chain rings is necessary.

Obviously one is Cro Moly and one is Aluminium. These are just close outs here at my LBS's.

I'm very new to cycling. Not sure about the campy components on the second one (I really trust the Ultegra on the Specialized).

I"m not sure what to get. I'd love to save some $$ because I also need boots and pedals.

If anyone has any suggestion on other bikes (I'd like to stick to Specialize, Trek, Orbea or Bianchi) that might be more what i"m looking for, I'd love to hear it.

I need to keep everying under $1500.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
RDS

RobotDeathSquad said:
I've got about $1500 to spend on a new Road Bike (upgrading from a Miata 210 that is way to big for me).

I'm looking at:
Specialized Allez Cro Moly (3 chain rings) with ALL Ultegra components (for $1300 on closeout).

Orbea Volata Triple
($1100 on close out)

I'm looking for a good climbing bike pretty much. I live in Colorado so 3 chain rings is necessary.

Obviously one is Cro Moly and one is Aluminium. These are just close outs here at my LBS's.

I'm very new to cycling. Not sure about the campy components on the second one (I really trust the Ultegra on the Specialized).

I"m not sure what to get. I'd love to save some $$ because I also need boots and pedals.

If anyone has any suggestion on other bikes (I'd like to stick to Specialize, Trek, Orbea or Bianchi) that might be more what i"m looking for, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
RDS

Eeny, meeny, miney, moe...

Those are both great deals, I don't see how you could go wrong with either one, unless one just didn't fit you right. So, how were they on the test ride? Dude, you did take them both out for a test ride, right?!?!

A series of 30-60 minute test rides is the key to making the final choice in a situation like this. That is the point you are at right now, methinks.

I took both on a 5 minute test ride (around a convention center parking lot about 2 blocks from both stores, so not up hills).

I'll probably take both for an extended test ride on Saturday I think.

Anyone know how the Campys are compared to Ultegra? They guy I work with says I"d be dumb to take anything over an Ultegra (except Dura ace and Records of course), but he's never seen/ridden these campys (but he does have an old dura ace and an old record bike).

I guess it will come down to the rides of each.

For $1500, consider Colorado Cyclists' Douglas Fusion - Ultegra throughout with Velomax wheels, aluminum/carbonfiber stays. It's on sale now for $1499, comes in a double or tripple. I bought one this spring after considering a lot of bikes (including the Orbea) , and I can't say enough good things about it. It now comes with a DA spec option (if you want to spend a little more...)

RobotDeathSquad said:

I'm looking at:

Orbea Volata Triple
($1100 on close out)

Thanks,
RDS

dtaffe said:
For $1500, consider Colorado Cyclists' Douglas Fusion - Ultegra throughout with Velomax wheels, aluminum/carbonfiber stays. It's on sale now for $1499, comes in a double or tripple. I bought one this spring after considering a lot of bikes (including the Orbea) , and I can't say enough good things about it. It now comes with a DA spec option (if you want to spend a little more...)
I've heard nothing but good things about the Douglas Fusion. The downside, of course, is that it's a mail-order only option for 95% of us, and you'd be losing the benefit of a test ride and a first-hand fitting.

It's true that the Douglas is mail-order-only for most - I had noticed the original post appeared to come from Colorado. It's true, the rest of us end up buying the bike sight-unseen without the benefit of a test-ride (I suppose you could always return it for a refund if it were awful on the first ride.) In terms of fitting, the website has a pretty detailed checklist to get you into the right size frame, crank length, and stem, and they have a 30-day free exchange period for bars and stem. For me, they cut the steerer tube a little long and provided three carbon fiber spacers, so I had nearly an inch of adjustability for the height of my stem/bars. That, of course, assumes you are comfortable with basic mechanics. Phone service was excellent. The guy who took my order clearly is a cyclist, and made some really good recommendations for me. At the risk of sounding like a sales rep for them, they really seem to have remote fitting pretty figured out. I've been underwhelmed by the fitting services of LBS's in my area (the exceptions being the ones that fit for a fee ala "fit-kit"); my last LBS purchase, an mtb, was set-up incorrectly by over and inch on the seat height and be a good 1-2 inches in reach to the bars.

RobotDeathSquad said:

I'm looking at:

Orbea Volata Triple
($1100 on close out)

In a choice between those two, I'd pick the Specialized because it is a larger % markdown from MSRP and it has much better components. Mirage is Campy's entry level stuff (less than Shimano 105)

Besides the steel frame is a smooth ride and the paint scheme looks better on the specialized. (If you are into aesthetics)

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I actually didn't see the thing about the Douglas bikes. I am in colorado, but not near denver.

I've already put my money down on the Specialized. I took a ~15min test rides up part of my usual route. I did the Cro-Moly, and the Aluminum Allez and the Orbea. Decided to do the Cro-Moly. The Aluminum was more responsive but the Cro-Moly was just so smooth and I've been riding a steel bike so it was more what I was used too.

I should take delivery of hte bike at the end of the week.

I also got the Specialized Comp shoes and the Crank Bros Candy SL pedals.

WEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I'm so excited.

RobotDeathSquad said:

I'm looking at:

Orbea Volata Triple
($1100 on close out)

Thanks,
RDS
The mirage stuff no way compares to ultegra.

RobotDeathSquad said:
Anyone know how the Campys are compared to Ultegra? They guy I work with says I"d be dumb to take anything over an Ultegra (except Dura ace and Records of course), but he's never seen/ridden these campys (but he does have an old dura ace and an old record bike).
The guy is q moron.Chours is way over ultegra,and Aentaur is arguably just as good.