N00b Question: Can You Go From Quick Release Skewers To Through Axels ?

NJAgent020

Apr 3, 2015
I am getting a new Cannondale Synapse with Disc Brakes. My question is, moving forward a couple years when discs become more standardized on road bikes, is it possible to go from quick release skewers to through axles? I am not sure what the difference is between the two. I have heard through axels would lead to less possible rubbing of the disc but may be more difficult to swap out?

Can anyone help me understand the difference and benefits or compromises associated with each? Is it possible to switch between the two or would you need a whole new fork, etc. ?

Ah, I see that Cannondale road disc bikes are using quick release hubs in front and rear. And the specs don't say whether they use standard 9- and 10-mm spindles or something oversize and proprietary. The fork ends on the carbon Synapses do look beefier than those of the alloy version, and that would suggest that the carbon version uses beefier axles, so swapping wheels between the two frames would be impossible. I'd talk about that with your Cannondale dealer.

I can tell you that all of Trek's disc-brake Domanes use a 15 mm through-axle up front and a 142x12 mm through-axle in the back. And if you saw the clearance between the front rotor and the left fork blade, you'd understand the need for all that extra stiffness.

This is a key element of the compatibility debate going on right now. While it's widely acknowledged that disc brakes need a stronger, stiffer axle, there is no consensus on exactly how much or how to make it that way. And anything you buy now will likely limit your future options.

"This is a key element of the compatibility debate going on right now."

This.

They have a couple of kinda/sorta quick release through axles out now, but if there are any standards being used, I haven't seen any signs of that. Disc brake mounts are changing, through axles are changing, drop outs are being revised...

They various manufacturers and designers can't even come up with one or two 'standardized' bottom brackets. Headsets are even more of a mess. Nothing works with anything other than the OEM spec'd pieces parts anymore and product design life and built in obsolescence has become the norm.

NJAgent020 said:
I am getting a new Cannondale Synapse with Disc Brakes. My question is, moving forward a couple years when discs become more standardized on road bikes, is it possible to go from quick release skewers to through axles? I am not sure what the difference is between the two. I have heard through axels would lead to less possible rubbing of the disc but may be more difficult to swap out?

Can anyone help me understand the difference and benefits or compromises associated with each? Is it possible to switch between the two or would you need a whole new fork, etc. ?
Some disc hubs can be converted from the one type to the other, and back ...

Shimano disc hubs can (¿generally?) be converted ...

DT/Swiss dics hubs can be converted.

With wheels which are laced to other brands of hubs ... maybe, maybe not.

If THAT day comes when you want to convert your hub AND it isn't one of the two fore mentioned brands then you may be better off relacing the rims to a new set of hubs ...

OR selling the wheelset (presuming it is not sold with your eventually "old" bike) & buying a new wheelset which is appropriate for the new frame & fork.

BTW. I am not sure there will ever be a benefit to havnig thru axles on a Road bike ...

On a Downhill bike (and, the thinking follows that the same is true for aggressive MTB riding ... so, why not all MTBs?), the rider doesn't have to worry about the front wheel freeing itself from the fork on a descent!!!

And, to a lesser extent, fhe rear wheel separating from the rear triangle.

I appreciate the perspectives. Its a unique time to be getting my first road bike. I am glad I am getting the disc brakes. At the end of the day, I feel I may be getting caught up in the marketing hype. I am certainly no racer. And as long as the bike I test rode works as well for me when I get mine, I shall be happy.

New to road bikes... its really hard not to play "keep up with the Joneses" - all this stuff -its changing quickly... and VERY expensive too.

NJAgent020 said:
I appreciate the perspectives. Its a unique time to be getting my first road bike. I am glad I am getting the disc brakes. At the end of the day, I feel I may be getting caught up in the marketing hype. I am certainly no racer. And as long as the bike I test rode works as well for me when I get mine, I shall be happy.
Your perspective on this will serve you well. The gains from upgrading, after the marketers decide what an upgrade will consist of, will be marginal.

Whatever bike you buy, the best thing to do is ride it, enjoy it, and stop worrying.