Naffed off - come off already!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The 13th Man, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. The 13th Man

    The 13th Man Guest

    Going down a hill earlier on, not sure exactly what happened (maybe hit a little dip in the road)
    and then whoaaaaaaa I was over the handlebars and hitting the road.

    Not really hurt, though my right elbow is aching a little. More pissed off because I've come off
    after less than a month on my new bike. The bike barely looks like it's had a fall, though my right
    brake lever has bent downwards a little. It appears reluctant to move up a gear (ie to smaller cogs)
    on the freewheel :( even though there appears nothing wrong with the shifters or derailleurs.

    With a bit of luck they might put these things right in the first month's service?

    The joys of cycling, eh? I'm really naffed off now.

    Tags:

  2. Msa

    Msa Guest

    The 13th Man <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Going down a hill earlier on, not sure exactly what happened (maybe hit a little dip in the road)
    > and then whoaaaaaaa I was over the handlebars and hitting the road.
    >
    > Not really hurt, though my right elbow is aching a little. More pissed
    off
    > because I've come off after less than a month on my new bike. The bike barely looks like it's had
    > a fall, though my right brake lever has bent downwards a little. It appears reluctant to move up a
    > gear (ie to smaller cogs) on the freewheel :( even though there appears nothing wrong with the
    > shifters or derailleurs.
    >
    > With a bit of luck they might put these things right in the first month's service?
    >
    > The joys of cycling, eh? I'm really naffed off now.

    Think of it positively. You've crashed, you've learnt, you or the bike aren't hurt.

    Out of interest...

    My first crash was into the rose bushes in the garden after Dad removed the stabilisers!)

    Last crash was about 3 months ago when I leant onto a metal post at traffic lights so that I didn't
    have to unclip from my Looks...the metal post turned out to be plastic in disguise (c'mon, it was!)
    and I toppled over in slow motion! Looked around quickly to see if anyone was watching, jumped back
    on and rode off sheepishly!

    Is it just me that searches out something to grab at traffic lights so that I don't have to unclip?

    --
    Mark

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Is it just me that searches out something to grab at traffic lights so
    that
    > I don't have to unclip?

    Well, look at it this way. How many cyclists do you see enjoying that timber moment at
    traffic lights?

    No -- thought no. It must just be you. Bet you don't do it again!!

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MSA wrote:
    > Last crash was about 3 months ago when I leant onto a metal post at traffic lights so that I
    > didn't have to unclip from my Looks...the metal post turned out to be plastic in disguise (c'mon,
    > it was!) and I toppled over in slow motion! Looked around quickly to see if anyone was watching,
    > jumped back on and rode off sheepishly!

    I've /nearly/ done that so I always give the object a bit of a wobble to see how stable it is.

    > Is it just me that searches out something to grab at traffic lights so that I don't have
    > to unclip?

    No, I do it all the time (don't mind the unclipping but like to get away extra fast when I can). The
    BMW drivers don't like it though :)

    ~PB

  5. Its a fact related to sods law I'm afraid. There's always someone watching if you do that sort of
    thing. Doesn't matter where you are either.
    :))

    MSA <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > The 13th Man <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Going down a hill earlier on, not sure exactly what happened (maybe hit
    > > little dip in the road) and then whoaaaaaaa I was over the handlebars
    and
    > > hitting the road.
    > >
    > > Not really hurt, though my right elbow is aching a little. More pissed
    > off
    > > because I've come off after less than a month on my new bike. The bike barely looks like it's
    > > had a fall, though my right brake lever has bent downwards a little. It appears reluctant to
    > > move up a gear (ie to
    smaller
    > > cogs) on the freewheel :( even though there appears nothing wrong with
    the
    > > shifters or derailleurs.
    > >
    > > With a bit of luck they might put these things right in the first
    month's
    > > service?
    > >
    > > The joys of cycling, eh? I'm really naffed off now.
    >

    > Think of it positively. You've crashed, you've learnt, you or the bike aren't hurt.
    >

    > Out of interest...
    >
    > My first crash was into the rose bushes in the garden after Dad removed
    the
    > stabilisers!)
    >
    > Last crash was about 3 months ago when I leant onto a metal post at
    traffic
    > lights so that I didn't have to unclip from my Looks...the metal post
    turned
    > out to be plastic in disguise (c'mon, it was!) and I toppled over in slow motion! Looked around
    > quickly to see if anyone was watching, jumped back
    on
    > and rode off sheepishly!
    >
    > Is it just me that searches out something to grab at traffic lights so
    that
    > I don't have to unclip?
    >

    > --
    > Mark
    >
    > "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Is it just me that searches out something to grab at traffic lights so that I don't have
    > to unclip?

    Use red lights to practise your track stand.

    --
    Dave...

  7. "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Last crash was about 3 months ago when I leant onto a metal post at traffic lights so that I
    > didn't have to unclip from my Looks...the metal post turned out to be plastic in disguise (c'mon,
    > it was!) and I toppled over in slow motion!

    <George Formby>

    "I'm leaning on a lamp post at the corner of the street.....aaargh!!"

    </George Formby>

    Sorry, couldn't resist it!

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  8. Murk

    Murk Guest

    > MSA wrote:
    > > Last crash was about 3 months ago when I leant onto a metal post at traffic lights so that I
    > > didn't have to unclip from my Looks...the metal post turned out to be plastic in disguise
    > > (c'mon, it was!) and I toppled over in slow motion! Looked around quickly to see if anyone was
    > > watching, jumped back on and rode off sheepishly!
    >
    > I've /nearly/ done that so I always give the object a bit of a wobble to see how stable it is.

    I remember once approaching a right-hand filter lane at lights just as they turned red. I un-clipped
    my left foot (as is my want) to put it down but as I stopped my balance went to the right. I
    frantically clutched at air with my right hand before noticing the 3' high white traffic island
    pillar which was at my side, phew, saved, I thought, only to discover that they are not fixed in
    place. Unfortunately, there *were* witnesses.

    > > Is it just me that searches out something to grab at traffic lights so that I don't have to
    > > unclip?
    >
    > No, I do it all the time (don't mind the unclipping but like to get away extra fast when I can).
    > The BMW drivers don't like it though :)
    >
    > ~PB

    I prefer timing them. I reckon this works about 90% of the time, the other times I just put my foot
    down. It helps of course if you know the timing and sequence. And of course there is the added
    satisfaction of accelerating past the static queue of cars who have just irritably overtaken you as
    you freewheeled towards the red light.

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

  10. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    I heard a story a few years ago about a motorcyclist stopping at the lights, totally omitting to
    put his feet down, and slowly toppled over. Two guys ran over to help him up. Motorcyclist's
    explanation was

    "Damn, I forgot that I took my side-car off last night"

    Peter.

    "David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Last crash was about 3 months ago when I leant onto a metal post at
    traffic
    > > lights so that I didn't have to unclip from my Looks...the metal post
    turned
    > > out to be plastic in disguise (c'mon, it was!) and I toppled over in
    slow
    > > motion!
    >
    > <George Formby>
    >
    > "I'm leaning on a lamp post at the corner of the street.....aaargh!!"
    >
    > </George Formby>
    >
    > Sorry, couldn't resist it!
    >
    > David E. Belcher
    >
    > Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  11. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    A few years ago I heard the story of a motocyclist stopping at the red light, then slowly toppling
    over. On being helped upright by 2 passers-by who were trying hard not to laugh, his explanation was

    "Damn, I forgot that I took my side-car off yesterday"