nagging injury HELP!

rockrock513

Nov 5, 2003
hi, at the end of last season i injured/aggravated my right side pirifomis, and ITband. after time off it was gone. well not really it subsided. i did some intense squating sessions with no aggravation, but now that i'm getting miles in it has flaired up. the pain seems to mostly be on the outside of my hip, and under my sit bone going into a hamstring tendon? and not the exact location it started.
my last bike had a 13.5cm saddle to bars drop, and my guess was that position, and my lack of stretching initiated the injury. i also think my right leg may be shorter which may be the bigger culprit.
has anyone had this problem? what are my options for treatment? i have been considering a cortisone shot. i would prefer to use deep tissue massage or active release, but i think the shot is cheaper and faster. did i mention cheaper?
i have also been thinking that this could be a fit issue ( i'm sure there is a collective sigh here), and that getting a proper fit ( and that opens a whole can of worms) could correct all. i think it's likely a fit issue because i had no issues doing squats.
thanks for all help!

You haven't said if it is your right or left leg that is causing the pain. You need to determine if your right leg is short, and if so how much. There are many ways to correct for that on the bike. I use different length crank arms as one leg is an inch shorter than the other. The area you describe as the origin of your pain doesn't sound like either the piriformis or the ITB, and if the pain is near the outside of your hip it is not likely that it is your hamstring tendons either. Corticosteroid injections should be used judiciously. They have been shown to cause degeneration of connective tissue. Need more data here.

Check that: you did say right side.

bulaboy said:
You haven't said if it is your right or left leg that is causing the pain. You need to determine if your right leg is short, and if so how much. There are many ways to correct for that on the bike. I use different length crank arms as one leg is an inch shorter than the other. The area you describe as the origin of your pain doesn't sound like either the piriformis or the ITB, and if the pain is near the outside of your hip it is not likely that it is your hamstring tendons either. Corticosteroid injections should be used judiciously. They have been shown to cause degeneration of connective tissue. Need more data here.

Check that: you did say right side.

the pain site has changed some from the original injury. it does not feel like it is acutely the piriformis now. i have pain/tightness on the outside of my hip joint (if standing it would be lower than the piriformis), and a sharp pain that rolls directly under my sitbone. that pain also runs into the hamstring... unless it's the piriformis.
if it's caused by leg length discrepency how do i know the person fitting me can get an exact measurement?

rockrock513 said:
the pain site has changed some from the original injury. it does not feel like it is acutely the piriformis now. i have pain/tightness on the outside of my hip joint (if standing it would be lower than the piriformis), and a sharp pain that rolls directly under my sitbone. that pain also runs into the hamstring... unless it's the piriformis.
if it's caused by leg length discrepency how do i know the person fitting me can get an exact measurement?
It sounds as though $ is an issue for you, but if the condition is serious then I think you need to see someone who can help. An accurate assessment of your condition cannot be done appropriately on line.

thanks for trying to help... but it doesn't sound like you've had the same issues that i'm going through.
i'm not looking for an online diagnosis, but for some insight from people that have had the same (or very similar) issues, and the routes that they took to solve their problem.
thanks again, r

rockrock513 said:
thanks for trying to help... but it doesn't sound like you've had the same issues that i'm going through.
i'm not looking for an online diagnosis, but for some insight from people that have had the same (or very similar) issues, and the routes that they took to solve their problem.
thanks again, r
I have. See a good chiropractor. It might be an ischeal bursitis, lateral hip rotator problem (including piriformis), hamstring problem or trochanteric bursitis/tendonitis.

Hey! People have to have a diagnosis in order to help, otherwise you're just pissing into the wind, right? If you can't identify an anatomical location, how COULD anyone help?

Good luck with it. Have you tried ITB stretching or Figure-4 stretching?

CapeRoadster said:
I have. See a good chiropractor. It might be an ischeal bursitis, lateral hip rotator problem (including piriformis), hamstring problem or trochanteric bursitis/tendonitis.

Hey! People have to have a diagnosis in order to help, otherwise you're just pissing into the wind, right? If you can't identify an anatomical location, how COULD anyone help?

Good luck with it. Have you tried ITB stretching or Figure-4 stretching?

yes i've been stretching, and it does help. however i think i'll be needing the next step in treatment. obviously that would be getting an actual diagnosis. i was thinking an ortho, but i'm open to chiro.

And! i'm not asking, nor would i accept an online diagnosis from a complete stranger. i'm quite sure that the description i gave was good for the type of feedback i'm looking for. after all you said "i have" had similar pain/issues.

so maybe you could tell me what you went through, what kind of treatment you had, and most importantly what was the root of your problem. after all if you don't know the root, but you get treatment; your just pissing in the wind...
thanks, r