NAHBS is here: Get your fill of BikePr0n!

On Mar 6, 1:27 pm, "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 10:31 am, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/nahmbs07/?id=results/nahmb...

> > D'ohBoy

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/nahmbs07/?id=/photos/2007/...
>
> Bayliss....
>
> /s

And some very nice work from Peter Mooney a bit further down the page.
When I lived and rode in New England, a number of riding buddies had
Peter Mooney frames; his stuff is absolutly first rate.

BTW, does anyone have any experience with Joel Evett's shifting
system? (Looks a bit like a modernized Shimano Positron.)

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:54:38 -0800, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> On Mar 6, 1:27 pm, "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mar 6, 10:31 am, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/nahmbs07/?id=results/

nahmb...

>> > D'ohBoy

>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/nahmbs07/?id=/

photos/2007/...

>> Bayliss....
>>
>> /s

> And some very nice work from Peter Mooney a bit further down the page.
> When I lived and rode in New England, a number of riding buddies had
> Peter Mooney frames; his stuff is absolutly first rate.
>
> BTW, does anyone have any experience with Joel Evett's shifting system?
> (Looks a bit like a modernized Shimano Positron.)

I don't have any experience with it, but I was thinking that it could be
adapted to make a road-bike shifter for Rohloff hubs. Maybe with a larger
wheel (or a spiral track?) to take up the extra cable length needed for
shifts.

landotter wrote:
> On Mar 6, 9:31 am, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/nahmbs07/?id=results/nahmb...

> Woohoo! Some gorgeous stuff there. I hope there's trickle down in the
> randonneuring and utility bike departments, like what happened with
> the streetified fixie trend a while back.

There was a strong showing of street-fixies at the show, perhaps not as many as
in years past, however (this was my first year there).

Dan

On Mar 6, 2:51 pm, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 9:31 am, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/nahmbs07/?id=results/nahmb...

> > Woohoo! Some gorgeous stuff there. I hope there's trickle down in the
> > randonneuring and utility bike departments, like what happened with
> > the streetified fixie trend a while back.

> There was a strong showing of street-fixies at the show, perhaps not as many as
> in years past, however (this was my first year there).

I'm just hoping for one of the big manufacturers to put out an
inexpensive (700ish) all rounder with long reach brakes or cantis,
room for 32mm tires, simple and strong 32h wheels, and a no-nonsense
group like Tiagra mated with downtube shifters. Something like a mass
manufactured Kogswell Porteur with 26" wheels. Just skipping the
brifters would let them spend the money better elsewhere.

I did benefit from the trickle down effect with my Redline 925. For
$500, it's the most bullet proof and simple urban bike I've ever
owned. After a bit of dialing in the wheels of course.

On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2:51 pm, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
> wrote:
>
> > landotter wrote:

> > > Woohoo! Some gorgeous stuff there. I hope there's trickle down in the
> > > randonneuring and utility bike departments, like what happened with
> > > the streetified fixie trend a while back.

> > There was a strong showing of street-fixies at the show, perhaps not as many as
> > in years past, however (this was my first year there).

> I'm just hoping for one of the big manufacturers to put out an
> inexpensive (700ish) all rounder with long reach brakes or cantis,
> room for 32mm tires, simple and strong 32h wheels, and a no-nonsense
> group like Tiagra

That would be *very* nice. Something in the ~$600 range....

>mated with downtube shifters. Something like a mass
> manufactured Kogswell Porteur with 26" wheels. Just skipping the
> brifters would let them spend the money better elsewhere.

I agree, but I fear that "skipping the brifters" is a recipe for
disaster, if you're a big manufacturer. A smaller maker, satisfied
with smaller numbers, might view it as sucessful, but not, IMO, the
big guys.

> I did benefit from the trickle down effect with my Redline 925. For
> $500, it's the most bullet proof and simple urban bike I've ever
> owned. After a bit of dialing in the wheels of course.

On Mar 6, 3:30 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 6, 2:51 pm, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
> > wrote:

> > > There was a strong showing of street-fixies at the show, perhaps not as many as
> > > in years past, however (this was my first year there).

> > I'm just hoping for one of the big manufacturers to put out an
> > inexpensive (700ish) all rounder with long reach brakes or cantis,
> > room for 32mm tires, simple and strong 32h wheels, and a no-nonsense
> > group like Tiagra

> That would be *very* nice. Something in the ~$600 range....
>
> >mated with downtube shifters. Something like a mass
> > manufactured Kogswell Porteur with 26" wheels. Just skipping the
> > brifters would let them spend the money better elsewhere.

> I agree, but I fear that "skipping the brifters" is a recipe for
> disaster, if you're a big manufacturer. A smaller maker, satisfied
> with smaller numbers, might view it as sucessful, but not, IMO, the
> big guys.

Bar-ends then. Street price of some Tektro R200a levers plus Ultegra
barends is about $80 as opposed to $200 for brifters. That's still
over a hundred bucks. Of course, I have no idea what the factories are
paying wholesale.

On Mar 6, 3:53 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 3:30 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm just hoping for one of the big manufacturers to put out an
> > > inexpensive (700ish) all rounder with long reach brakes or cantis,
> > > room for 32mm tires, simple and strong 32h wheels, and a no-nonsense
> > > group like Tiagra

> > That would be *very* nice. Something in the ~$600 range....

> > >mated with downtube shifters. Something like a mass
> > > manufactured Kogswell Porteur with 26" wheels. Just skipping the
> > > brifters would let them spend the money better elsewhere.

> > I agree, but I fear that "skipping the brifters" is a recipe for
> > disaster, if you're a big manufacturer. A smaller maker, satisfied
> > with smaller numbers, might view it as sucessful, but not, IMO, the
> > big guys.

> Bar-ends then. Street price of some Tektro R200a levers plus Ultegra
> barends is about $80 as opposed to $200 for brifters. That's still
> over a hundred bucks. Of course, I have no idea what the factories are
> paying wholesale

Yeah, barends do seem to have a broader appeal than downtube shifters
(and I am putting my own pro-barend POV aside here), which are just
viewed as "outdated". And, yeah, they are quite a bit cheaper (I'm
sure Shimano would put together some smokin' OEM prices on a barend/
brake lever combo, if only to keep the business away from the
competition).

It would be interesting to see someone build a widely available bike
using something akin to Kelly Takeoffs.

On Mar 6, 2:30 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 6, 2:51 pm, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
> > wrote:

> > > There was a strong showing of street-fixies at the show, perhaps not as many as
> > > in years past, however (this was my first year there).

> > I'm just hoping for one of the big manufacturers to put out an
> > inexpensive (700ish) all rounder with long reach brakes or cantis,
> > room for 32mm tires, simple and strong 32h wheels, and a no-nonsense
> > group like Tiagra

> That would be *very* nice. Something in the ~$600 range....
>
> >mated with downtube shifters. Something like a mass
> > manufactured Kogswell Porteur with 26" wheels. Just skipping the
> > brifters would let them spend the money better elsewhere.

> I agree, but I fear that "skipping the brifters" is a recipe for
> disaster, if you're a big manufacturer. A smaller maker, satisfied
> with smaller numbers, might view it as sucessful, but not, IMO, the
> big guys.
>

> > I did benefit from the trickle down effect with my Redline 925. For
> > $500, it's the most bullet proof and simple urban bike I've ever
> > owned. After a bit of dialing in the wheels of course.

Barends are the way to go. STI/ERGO is way to expensive/complicated/
fragile on a 'steet/commuter' type bike but too many, including
manufaturers, see 'brifters' as essential somehow, when of course they
are firmly in the 'nice to have' catagory.

On Mar 6, 2:53 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 3:30 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm just hoping for one of the big manufacturers to put out an
> > > inexpensive (700ish) all rounder with long reach brakes or cantis,
> > > room for 32mm tires, simple and strong 32h wheels, and a no-nonsense
> > > group like Tiagra

> > That would be *very* nice. Something in the ~$600 range....

> > >mated with downtube shifters. Something like a mass
> > > manufactured Kogswell Porteur with 26" wheels. Just skipping the
> > > brifters would let them spend the money better elsewhere.

> > I agree, but I fear that "skipping the brifters" is a recipe for
> > disaster, if you're a big manufacturer. A smaller maker, satisfied
> > with smaller numbers, might view it as sucessful, but not, IMO, the
> > big guys.

> Bar-ends then. Street price of some Tektro R200a levers plus Ultegra
> barends is about $80 as opposed to $200 for brifters. That's still
> over a hundred bucks. Of course, I have no idea what the factories are
> paying wholesale.

Small point-no such animal as 'ultegra' barends for almost a decade
now- DA only.

On Mar 7, 8:00 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2:30 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm just hoping for one of the big manufacturers to put out an
> > > inexpensive (700ish) all rounder with long reach brakes or cantis,
> > > room for 32mm tires, simple and strong 32h wheels, and a no-nonsense
> > > group like Tiagra

> > That would be *very* nice. Something in the ~$600 range....

> > >mated with downtube shifters. Something like a mass
> > > manufactured Kogswell Porteur with 26" wheels. Just skipping the
> > > brifters would let them spend the money better elsewhere.

> > I agree, but I fear that "skipping the brifters" is a recipe for
> > disaster, if you're a big manufacturer. A smaller maker, satisfied
> > with smaller numbers, might view it as sucessful, but not, IMO, the
> > big guys.

> > > I did benefit from the trickle down effect with my Redline 925. For
> > > $500, it's the most bullet proof and simple urban bike I've ever
> > > owned. After a bit of dialing in the wheels of course.

> Barends are the way to go. STI/ERGO is way to expensive/complicated/
> fragile on a 'steet/commuter' type bike but too many, including
> manufaturers, see 'brifters' as essential somehow, when of course they
> are firmly in the 'nice to have' catagory

Barends, something like Kelly Takeoffs, or something like a
thumbshifter on the bar top (with "interupter" brake levers?), all
depending on rider preference and use. Brifters assume *everyone*
rides on the hoods, which is not always the case.

On Mar 6, 3:30 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 6, 2:51 pm, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
> > wrote:

> > > There was a strong showing of street-fixies at the show, perhaps not as many as
> > > in years past, however (this was my first year there).

> > I'm just hoping for one of the big manufacturers to put out an
> > inexpensive (700ish) all rounder with long reach brakes or cantis,
> > room for 32mm tires, simple and strong 32h wheels, and a no-nonsense
> > group like Tiagra

> That would be *very* nice. Something in the ~$600 range....
>
> >mated with downtube shifters. Something like a mass
> > manufactured Kogswell Porteur with 26" wheels. Just skipping the
> > brifters would let them spend the money better elsewhere.

> I agree, but I fear that "skipping the brifters" is a recipe for
> disaster, if you're a big manufacturer.

Yes. On various internet forums where people talk about touring
bicycles, it is ALWAYS mentioned the Trek 520 does not have STI
shifters, but bar end. And it is ALWAYS mentioned the Cannondale T800
has STI. And the Cannondale is lauded and the Trek 520 is not.

A smaller maker, satisfied
> with smaller numbers, might view it as sucessful, but not, IMO, the
> big guys.
>

> > I did benefit from the trickle down effect with my Redline 925. For
> > $500, it's the most bullet proof and simple urban bike I've ever
> > owned. After a bit of dialing in the wheels of course.- Hide quoted text -

On Mar 7, 9:24 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 3:30 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm just hoping for one of the big manufacturers to put out an
> > > inexpensive (700ish) all rounder with long reach brakes or cantis,
> > > room for 32mm tires, simple and strong 32h wheels, and a no-nonsense
> > > group like Tiagra

> > That would be *very* nice. Something in the ~$600 range....

> > >mated with downtube shifters. Something like a mass
> > > manufactured Kogswell Porteur with 26" wheels. Just skipping the
> > > brifters would let them spend the money better elsewhere.

> > I agree, but I fear that "skipping the brifters" is a recipe for
> > disaster, if you're a big manufacturer.

> Yes. On various internet forums where people talk about touring
> bicycles, it is ALWAYS mentioned the Trek 520 does not have STI
> shifters, but bar end. And it is ALWAYS mentioned the Cannondale T800
> has STI. And the Cannondale is lauded and the Trek 520 is not.
>
> A smaller maker, satisfied

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you being sarcastic?

At any rate, I will say this: the Trek 520 design is "grandfathered"
in and goes back to a time when Trek was a much smaller company with,
IMO, a different market in mind (less focused on "racing/high
performance" bikes). Trek has obviously avoided using barends, or
other alternatives, in newer designs even when such alternatives make
sense (e.g., cross bikes, commuter bikes, etc).

On Mar 7, 9:33 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 9:24 am, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 3:30 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > That would be *very* nice. Something in the ~$600 range....

> > > I agree, but I fear that "skipping the brifters" is a recipe for
> > > disaster, if you're a big manufacturer.

> > Yes. On various internet forums where people talk about touring
> > bicycles, it is ALWAYS mentioned the Trek 520 does not have STI
> > shifters, but bar end. And it is ALWAYS mentioned the Cannondale T800
> > has STI. And the Cannondale is lauded and the Trek 520 is not.

> > A smaller maker, satisfied

> I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you being sarcastic?
>
> At any rate, I will say this: the Trek 520 design is "grandfathered"
> in and goes back to a time when Trek was a much smaller company with,
> IMO, a different market in mind (less focused on "racing/high
> performance" bikes). Trek has obviously avoided using barends, or
> other alternatives, in newer designs even when such alternatives make
> sense (e.g., cross bikes, commuter bikes, etc).- Hide quoted text -

Merely agreeing that without STI, a bike is disregarded. With new
bike touring people, people who have never toured in their life, the
Trek 520 is hardly considered because it has bar end shifters. Its
talked about because it has been around forever. But quickly
dismissed because it does not have STI like the good touring bikes do.

Not saying the Trek 520 is a great touring bike. For its price, there
are several better touring bikes on the market. And equal bikes for
hundreds less. Trek is padding its retail price several hundred
dollars on the 520 due to it being around forever and the Trek brand
name.

On Mar 7, 3:48 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 9:33 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 7, 9:24 am, "[email protected]"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yes. On various internet forums where people talk about touring
> > > bicycles, it is ALWAYS mentioned the Trek 520 does not have STI
> > > shifters, but bar end. And it is ALWAYS mentioned the Cannondale T800
> > > has STI. And the Cannondale is lauded and the Trek 520 is not.

> > > A smaller maker, satisfied

> > I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you being sarcastic?

> > At any rate, I will say this: the Trek 520 design is "grandfathered"
> > in and goes back to a time when Trek was a much smaller company with,
> > IMO, a different market in mind (less focused on "racing/high
> > performance" bikes). Trek has obviously avoided using barends, or
> > other alternatives, in newer designs even when such alternatives make
> > sense (e.g., cross bikes, commuter bikes, etc).- Hide quoted text -

> Merely agreeing that without STI, a bike is disregarded.

Ah. The "smaller maker satisfied" part is what confused me.

> With new
> bike touring people, people who have never toured in their life, the
> Trek 520 is hardly considered because it has bar end shifters. Its
> talked about because it has been around forever. But quickly
> dismissed because it does not have STI like the good touring bikes do.

IMO, a lot of that kind of thing comes from the LBS, where "road"
bikes without brifters are treated like second (third?) rate goods.

> Not saying the Trek 520 is a great touring bike. For its price, there
> are several better touring bikes on the market. And equal bikes for
> hundreds less. Trek is padding its retail price several hundred
> dollars on the 520 due to it being around forever and the Trek brand
> name

What's the MSRP for a 520 these days? $1200 or so? That does seem a
little on the high side.

On Mar 7, 6:42 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 8:00 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Barends are the way to go. STI/ERGO is way to expensive/complicated/
> > fragile on a 'steet/commuter' type bike but too many, including
> > manufaturers, see 'brifters' as essential somehow, when of course they
> > are firmly in the 'nice to have' catagory

> Barends, something like Kelly Takeoffs, or something like a
> thumbshifter on the bar top (with "interupter" brake levers?), all
> depending on rider preference and use. Brifters assume *everyone*
> rides on the hoods, which is not always the case.

I agree with everything in this thread except these two posts. For a
'street/commuter' I consider brifters essential (well, maybe really
nice to have). I'm speaking as someone who commutes across San Diego
in morning rush hour. The ability to shift quickly is needed to
accellerate out of a traffic hole. I'm also someone who has a lot of
bikes, including two with bar-ends. Commuting on those is, in my
experience, more work and a bit scarier.

I also don't understand why "Brifters assume everyone rides on the
hoods". STIs (the only brifters I have) are just as convenient when
riding in the drops. Certainly more convenient than bar-ends, which
still require me to move my hands from their normal riding position.

I haven't tried Kelly Takeoffs or the like. I would imagine they
would suit the need for rapid shifting.

For touring, randonneuring, and most other cycling activities brifters
are in no way essential, IMO. But commuting is a different story.

Speaking only from my own experience.
Tom