nail polish vs. auto paint to touch up bike frames

big Pete

Jun 17, 2004
What is the best way to touch up a bike frame, with auto paint or with nail polish?

Pete

riversm said:
enamel model airplane paint from the hobby store
testors model paint comes in handy. You can match almost any color right out of the bottle.

big Pete said:
What is the best way to touch up a bike frame, with auto paint or with nail polish?

Pete

What about spray paints?
Has anyone tried that??

breesej said:
testors model paint comes in handy. You can match almost any color right out of the bottle.

Hi all,

I ended up using testors model paint (it is enamel). I build model cars so I had lots of paint to chose from. Sadly I did not have my bike color (metallic white) so I mixed my own. Got an ok match.

Pete

SunBurnt said:
What about spray paints?
Has anyone tried that??
Spray paint? Eh, you'll never get it right. I've never spray-painted a bike, but I've spray-painted many things in many contexts, and you'll run into big problems...

...like the spotty, fuzzy edge of the spray shot, for instance. You're going to have to mask the bike off somewhere, and wherever you do it, you're going to see ugly evidence that something was sprayed against that edge.

Unless you're evenly coating the entire frame, you'll get major texture differences as well -- areas where you've feathered off will catch light differently than the areas you've colored more solidly. Spray paints were designed to be applied evenly, which is going to work against you if you're interested in spot-treating or touchups.

Spray paint is also messy and sticky. You can never protect quite enough from overspray. Get enough in the wrong place -- a BB thread, or near a pivot point of any sort, and it'll never be the same.

Lastly, even assuming you've got some technique down, you'll never, ever, ever get a good color match. There just isn't a nuanced or deep enough spray paint color selection to ever suit your needs.