Nail proofing tires with slime ??

Eric E. Noeldec

Guest
Hey Guys..

First post here...

I'm looking into getting tire liners made by Slime that protect the inner tube from nails, thorns
and glass.

Last year I had two real bad leaks about 10K from home. One was from a piece of glass, that couldn't
be patched.. Luckily I carry a spare tube...

Has anyone installed tire liners to protect from these types of things, and how did it work
for you ??

Thanks,,looking forward in hearing what you have to say..

ttyle

Eric E. Noeldechen Eric E. Noeldechen On/Scene Tactical
===================

On/Scene Tactical http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel

Professional Quality Custom Sheathing

Canadian Heritage Leaves http://www.mnsi.net/~ericn

Bringing you a little of the Outdoors,,Indoors!

> Has anyone installed tire liners to protect from these types of things, and how did it work
> for you ??
>
> Thanks,,looking forward in hearing what you have to say..

Slime isn't a liner, so much as a thick liquid rubbery goo that spreads around the inside of the
tire. I don't use it, as there are very, very few things in the Maryland woods that'll puncture flat
me, but everyone I've ever talked to that has used Slime says it's better than advertised.

Check out http://www.notubes.com/pages/about.htm

Chris

In article <[email protected]>, "Chris"
<[email protected]> writes:

>> Has anyone installed tire liners to protect from these types of things, and how did it work
>> for you ??
>>
>> Thanks,,looking forward in hearing what you have to say..
>>

>Slime isn't a liner, so much as a thick liquid rubbery goo that spreads around the inside of the
>tire. I don't use it, as there are very, very few things in the Maryland woods that'll puncture
>flat me, but everyone I've ever talked to that has used Slime says it's better than advertised.

If that's true I can put my oar in here. I put Slime in my daughter's commuter bike tires to combat
puncture vine. That stuff clogged a schrader valve with the core removed during installation. I
finally resorted to cutting a small hole in the tube and injecting the stuff through it as one would
have to with a presta valved tube (step two was to patch the hole I made with a regular patch).
What's more, the clog in the empty schrader valve was so bad I had to make a tiny hook to pull the
fibers out. I don't know what the limits are but most punctures heal while riding (the tire will go
flat when sitting if the slime hasn't clogged the hole before the rider stops) as long as they are
not in the side wall or on the inside of the tube (as in pinch flat). Of course a big glass cut
cannot be sealed by that stuff.

Slime does take a slightly different mind set about flats. If you come out to your bike and find a
Slimed tire flat, just pump it up and ride away.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

>Slime isn't a liner

slime does make a tire liner. very similiar to the mr tuffy or stop flat liner, except it is a
pretty green color.

gary

On 19 Mar 2003 09:00:58 GMT, [email protected] (Glhudson1) wrote...

>>Slime isn't a liner
>
>slime does make a tire liner. very similiar to the mr tuffy or stop flat liner, except it is a
>pretty green color.

Slime do both the goop you squirt, and the tyre liner.

I tried Halfords own-brand goop that ruined my tube. It clogs up the valve. After that I bought
Slime tyre liners (the green ribbon, comes rolled up in the packet). I haven't had a puncture since.
Nuff said.

-Chris

>From: [email protected] (TBGibb)

> I don't know what the limits are but
> most punctures heal while riding...

Slime also makes a pre-treated tube, the Slime Lite Tube, 117 grams / 19-25c @
7.99. They claim instant sealing up to 1/8". A bit pricey but might be a good idea for kids' bikes.

Sig Chicago

On 19 Mar 2003 14:59:25 GMT, [email protected] (AndresMuro) wrote...

>For shrader valves, you need to actually remove the valve that is inside the cylinder. There is a
>little tool that you use to unscrew the valve and then you have unobstructed access to the tube to
>pump in the slime.
>
>With presta valves, you need to buy the tubes that allow you to unscrew the valve. Again, that
>leaves you with a hollow cylinder that allows you to pump slime into the tube.

I did this (shrader), but it clogged up the hole where the valve goes. As I said before however,
this wasn't Slime, it was Halfords own-brand.

For the record, I've had the Slime tyre liner in for about 6 months, and no punctures yet (I do a
lot of off-roading).

-Chris

Bought 2 of these a few months ago, a presta-valved mtn tube & a presta-valved 700c. Both, in less
than 200 miles, developed leaks under the rubber collar that is supposed to seal the tube to the
stem. It was not the removeable core that was leaking, but the seal itself. Both were made by Kenda,
whose tubes I have had nothing but trouble with.

Sent them back to Slime, and to their credit, they replaced both.

Ken

Scic wrote:

> Slime also makes a pre-treated tube, the Slime Lite Tube, 117 grams / 19-25c @
> 7.99. They claim instant sealing up to 1/8". A bit pricey but might be a good idea for kids'
> bikes.
>
> Sig Chicago

i live in swfl where the ambient intelligence is below the levels needed to maintain civilization as
we know it. the broken glass levels from drunken retards throwing bottles at 3am is quite high.
solution: kevlar belted tires(the durotour kevlar winner is tough and inexpensive), the slime inner
liner, and nashbar's self-sealing tube. the tube price generates whining however total savings in
time and agravation molre than cancels that out. I now stock self-sealing tubes. each tube takes
more than three four small punctures, probably two majors. examples- riding across the midpoint
river bridge with an excellent backwind @ 30mph with load and under an important time schedule-using
considerable skill-we ran right over a full bore roofing nail with skirt-thwackthwackthack-now
what?-well that's a full bore roofing nail stupid-aw expletive deleted-i rode on-and mission
accomplished two weeks ago am still riding on without thought to changing the tube till the next
expedition. tried on the conti TT's that i can't run in town(see first paragraph)then removed them
before parking at the library(with security guard)justb on the chance that I had left the $35 TT's
on an expletive deleted stuck a very sharp point into the side wall. I came out felt the tire and
rode off to the super. supered got back on and thwuckthwuckthwuck-now what?-well,the sap had oozed
out and wuz thwacking on the front rack. but the tube's still on there waiting for the next turd.
the tire tread compound is important. I enjoy specialized's turbo series for cornering power at a
low price but happen to have a durotour on the rear through a BM MO. the spec wears well but does
get eaten by the glass yet remains puncture proof. the durotour is very durable and cutproof but
less fun slaloming thru the parking lot. how much glass have you? the conti TT that's for touring
produced a Kinser effect at the tiller not the intended purpose and if pursued wud most likely wear
the TT's tread out. testing the TT's with an overnite camping load snapped the rack at seat stay
mount!! off to a GOOD SET-OFF to another planet!! TURDLESS TWO off Sirius major

*[email protected]* (Eric E. Noeldechen) wrote in message

> I'm looking into getting tire liners made by Slime that protect the inner tube from nails, thorns
> and glass.
>
> Has anyone installed tire liners to protect from these types of things, and how did it work
> for you ??

I haven't had much luck with the tire liners on my mountain bike. I get lots of flats on my commute
and the liners didn't cut down on them at all. In fact they made changing flats more difficult and I
finally ditched them altogether. I have had much better luck with the (heavier I think) thorn
resistant tubes or goo filled tubes.

The slime filled ones are lighter but I have heard that having the slime spinning around inside
actually slows the tire more than having a heavier tire. I don't know about that, I can't feel the
difference.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

yeah the goo slows the tire down vs the rider's HP but with all those knobs squiggling on the
road/dirt who can tell? a few grams on a road bike in the rim/tire assembly make a substantial diff.
a local voice wanted a repeat on the nail thru tire experience-the nail, a ringshank came thru the
front rightsmackdabgoldarnit tire thru the center tread and out the back against the rim whilst long
beach GP type commuter traffic ran down the bridge on the way to tacoville a few feet away. itsa
nice federal intercoastal bridge. I thought the tire picked upa piece of duct tape? I stopped,said
as before and pulled the sucker out after looking skyward and imploring the assembled divinities for
a little slack here then continued onward without pumping. The tube went flat several days later and
hangs hole down and hole segment flat with the hole taped hoping to extract a bit more from it.
never had a rapid front tire decompression at speed in traffic. i assume itsa thrill. the self
sealing tube possibly needs to be let alone for a few minutes spin giving the goo time to find the
hole and spread itself between the tube and liner/tire where the rolling cure and seal occurs just
like the patch but without handiwork. by the way if on a new intercoastal or? and hear the whine of
tires vibrating across the concrete those sipes hold glass shards upward waiting for the unprepared
blind or speedy. zapzapzap no air.

right. the possible reason for the tire going flat after parking is the dimwit riding it fatigues
and didn't mark the hole then park with the hole at the bottom so the goo...