Nail proofing tires with slime ??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric E. Noeldec, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Hey Guys..

    First post here...

    I'm looking into getting tire liners made by Slime that protect the inner tube from nails, thorns
    and glass.

    Last year I had two real bad leaks about 10K from home. One was from a piece of glass, that couldn't
    be patched.. Luckily I carry a spare tube...

    Has anyone installed tire liners to protect from these types of things, and how did it work
    for you ??

    Thanks,,looking forward in hearing what you have to say..

    ttyle

    Eric E. Noeldechen Eric E. Noeldechen On/Scene Tactical
    ===================

    On/Scene Tactical http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel

    Professional Quality Custom Sheathing

    Canadian Heritage Leaves http://www.mnsi.net/~ericn

    Bringing you a little of the Outdoors,,Indoors!

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > Has anyone installed tire liners to protect from these types of things, and how did it work
    > for you ??
    >
    > Thanks,,looking forward in hearing what you have to say..

    Slime isn't a liner, so much as a thick liquid rubbery goo that spreads around the inside of the
    tire. I don't use it, as there are very, very few things in the Maryland woods that'll puncture flat
    me, but everyone I've ever talked to that has used Slime says it's better than advertised.

    Check out http://www.notubes.com/pages/about.htm

    Chris

  3. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Chris"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >> Has anyone installed tire liners to protect from these types of things, and how did it work
    >> for you ??
    >>
    >> Thanks,,looking forward in hearing what you have to say..
    >>

    >Slime isn't a liner, so much as a thick liquid rubbery goo that spreads around the inside of the
    >tire. I don't use it, as there are very, very few things in the Maryland woods that'll puncture
    >flat me, but everyone I've ever talked to that has used Slime says it's better than advertised.

    If that's true I can put my oar in here. I put Slime in my daughter's commuter bike tires to combat
    puncture vine. That stuff clogged a schrader valve with the core removed during installation. I
    finally resorted to cutting a small hole in the tube and injecting the stuff through it as one would
    have to with a presta valved tube (step two was to patch the hole I made with a regular patch).
    What's more, the clog in the empty schrader valve was so bad I had to make a tiny hook to pull the
    fibers out. I don't know what the limits are but most punctures heal while riding (the tire will go
    flat when sitting if the slime hasn't clogged the hole before the rider stops) as long as they are
    not in the side wall or on the inside of the tube (as in pinch flat). Of course a big glass cut
    cannot be sealed by that stuff.

    Slime does take a slightly different mind set about flats. If you come out to your bike and find a
    Slimed tire flat, just pump it up and ride away.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  4. Glhudson1

    Glhudson1 Guest

    >Slime isn't a liner

    slime does make a tire liner. very similiar to the mr tuffy or stop flat liner, except it is a
    pretty green color.

    gary

  5. On 19 Mar 2003 09:00:58 GMT, [email protected] (Glhudson1) wrote...

    >>Slime isn't a liner
    >
    >slime does make a tire liner. very similiar to the mr tuffy or stop flat liner, except it is a
    >pretty green color.

    Slime do both the goop you squirt, and the tyre liner.

    I tried Halfords own-brand goop that ruined my tube. It clogs up the valve. After that I bought
    Slime tyre liners (the green ribbon, comes rolled up in the packet). I haven't had a puncture since.
    Nuff said.

    -Chris

  6. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: [email protected] (TBGibb)

    > I don't know what the limits are but
    > most punctures heal while riding...

    Slime also makes a pre-treated tube, the Slime Lite Tube, 117 grams / 19-25c @
    7.99. They claim instant sealing up to 1/8". A bit pricey but might be a good idea for kids' bikes.

    Sig Chicago

  7. On 19 Mar 2003 14:59:25 GMT, [email protected] (AndresMuro) wrote...

    >For shrader valves, you need to actually remove the valve that is inside the cylinder. There is a
    >little tool that you use to unscrew the valve and then you have unobstructed access to the tube to
    >pump in the slime.
    >
    >With presta valves, you need to buy the tubes that allow you to unscrew the valve. Again, that
    >leaves you with a hollow cylinder that allows you to pump slime into the tube.

    I did this (shrader), but it clogged up the hole where the valve goes. As I said before however,
    this wasn't Slime, it was Halfords own-brand.

    For the record, I've had the Slime tyre liner in for about 6 months, and no punctures yet (I do a
    lot of off-roading).

    -Chris

  8. Kwalters

    Kwalters Guest

    Bought 2 of these a few months ago, a presta-valved mtn tube & a presta-valved 700c. Both, in less
    than 200 miles, developed leaks under the rubber collar that is supposed to seal the tube to the
    stem. It was not the removeable core that was leaking, but the seal itself. Both were made by Kenda,
    whose tubes I have had nothing but trouble with.

    Sent them back to Slime, and to their credit, they replaced both.

    Ken

    Scic wrote:

    > Slime also makes a pre-treated tube, the Slime Lite Tube, 117 grams / 19-25c @
    > 7.99. They claim instant sealing up to 1/8". A bit pricey but might be a good idea for kids'
    > bikes.
    >
    > Sig Chicago

  9. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    i live in swfl where the ambient intelligence is below the levels needed to maintain civilization as
    we know it. the broken glass levels from drunken retards throwing bottles at 3am is quite high.
    solution: kevlar belted tires(the durotour kevlar winner is tough and inexpensive), the slime inner
    liner, and nashbar's self-sealing tube. the tube price generates whining however total savings in
    time and agravation molre than cancels that out. I now stock self-sealing tubes. each tube takes
    more than three four small punctures, probably two majors. examples- riding across the midpoint
    river bridge with an excellent backwind @ 30mph with load and under an important time schedule-using
    considerable skill-we ran right over a full bore roofing nail with skirt-thwackthwackthack-now
    what?-well that's a full bore roofing nail stupid-aw expletive deleted-i rode on-and mission
    accomplished two weeks ago am still riding on without thought to changing the tube till the next
    expedition. tried on the conti TT's that i can't run in town(see first paragraph)then removed them
    before parking at the library(with security guard)justb on the chance that I had left the $35 TT's
    on an expletive deleted stuck a very sharp point into the side wall. I came out felt the tire and
    rode off to the super. supered got back on and thwuckthwuckthwuck-now what?-well,the sap had oozed
    out and wuz thwacking on the front rack. but the tube's still on there waiting for the next turd.
    the tire tread compound is important. I enjoy specialized's turbo series for cornering power at a
    low price but happen to have a durotour on the rear through a BM MO. the spec wears well but does
    get eaten by the glass yet remains puncture proof. the durotour is very durable and cutproof but
    less fun slaloming thru the parking lot. how much glass have you? the conti TT that's for touring
    produced a Kinser effect at the tiller not the intended purpose and if pursued wud most likely wear
    the TT's tread out. testing the TT's with an overnite camping load snapped the rack at seat stay
    mount!! off to a GOOD SET-OFF to another planet!! TURDLESS TWO off Sirius major

  10. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    *[email protected]* (Eric E. Noeldechen) wrote in message

    > I'm looking into getting tire liners made by Slime that protect the inner tube from nails, thorns
    > and glass.
    >
    > Has anyone installed tire liners to protect from these types of things, and how did it work
    > for you ??

    I haven't had much luck with the tire liners on my mountain bike. I get lots of flats on my commute
    and the liners didn't cut down on them at all. In fact they made changing flats more difficult and I
    finally ditched them altogether. I have had much better luck with the (heavier I think) thorn
    resistant tubes or goo filled tubes.

    The slime filled ones are lighter but I have heard that having the slime spinning around inside
    actually slows the tire more than having a heavier tire. I don't know about that, I can't feel the
    difference.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  11. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    yeah the goo slows the tire down vs the rider's HP but with all those knobs squiggling on the
    road/dirt who can tell? a few grams on a road bike in the rim/tire assembly make a substantial diff.
    a local voice wanted a repeat on the nail thru tire experience-the nail, a ringshank came thru the
    front rightsmackdabgoldarnit tire thru the center tread and out the back against the rim whilst long
    beach GP type commuter traffic ran down the bridge on the way to tacoville a few feet away. itsa
    nice federal intercoastal bridge. I thought the tire picked upa piece of duct tape? I stopped,said
    as before and pulled the sucker out after looking skyward and imploring the assembled divinities for
    a little slack here then continued onward without pumping. The tube went flat several days later and
    hangs hole down and hole segment flat with the hole taped hoping to extract a bit more from it.
    never had a rapid front tire decompression at speed in traffic. i assume itsa thrill. the self
    sealing tube possibly needs to be let alone for a few minutes spin giving the goo time to find the
    hole and spread itself between the tube and liner/tire where the rolling cure and seal occurs just
    like the patch but without handiwork. by the way if on a new intercoastal or? and hear the whine of
    tires vibrating across the concrete those sipes hold glass shards upward waiting for the unprepared
    blind or speedy. zapzapzap no air.

  12. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    right. the possible reason for the tire going flat after parking is the dimwit riding it fatigues
    and didn't mark the hole then park with the hole at the bottom so the goo...