Naive heart monitor question

Dave Stallard

Guest
I'm thinking about getting a wristwatch mounted heart monitor (don't
need it on the bike, plus I would use it for non-bike activities).

How do these things work, anyway? Do you actually have to have
electrodes on your chest, or can they just read a pulse off your wrist
or whatever?

Dave

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking about getting a wristwatch mounted heart monitor (don't
> need it on the bike, plus I would use it for non-bike activities).
>
> How do these things work, anyway? Do you actually have to have
> electrodes on your chest, or can they just read a pulse off your wrist
> or whatever?
>
> Dave

Most have a chest strap that senses the electrical activity of your heart
beating, and transmits this information to the wristwatch unit. The chest
unit does have "electrodes" that sense the signal, but they are not attached
to your skin, and are unnoticeable when you're wearing the unit.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:46:05 -0400, Dave Stallard <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting a wristwatch mounted heart monitor (don't
> need it on the bike, plus I would use it for non-bike activities).
>
> How do these things work, anyway? Do you actually have to have
> electrodes on your chest, or can they just read a pulse off your wrist
> or whatever?
>
> Dave

I have a Polar S725. It picks up the heart rate as Gary explained. I
find the new WearLink strap to be comfortable.

Polar strongly recommends that you mount the unit on the bike for
effective pick-up of speed and/or cadence signals. Have never attemptd to
pick up the speed signal with the watch on my wrist - doubt it would work
well as the sensor to transmitter maximum distance is only 20 inches for
the speed unit and a little more for the cadence (forget what the exact
max. distance was).

Still, I once wore it on my wrist for timing purposes and it was mnore of
a distraction. The mount takes less than a minute to install and it is
easy to attach the watch to it, which is what I do whenever I go out (in
fact, most of the time I never take it off the bike).

Glm

Glm wrote:

> I have a Polar S725. It picks up the heart rate as Gary explained. I
> find the new WearLink strap to be comfortable.
>
> Polar strongly recommends that you mount the unit on the bike for
> effective pick-up of speed and/or cadence signals. Have never attemptd
> to pick up the speed signal with the watch on my wrist - doubt it would
> work well as the sensor to transmitter maximum distance is only 20
> inches for the speed unit and a little more for the cadence (forget
> what the exact max. distance was).
>
> Still, I once wore it on my wrist for timing purposes and it was mnore
> of a distraction. The mount takes less than a minute to install and it
> is easy to attach the watch to it, which is what I do whenever I go out
> (in fact, most of the time I never take it off the bike).

I don't want a cyclocomputer integrated with it - I've already got a
bike computer.

What about all the people who use a HRM for non-biking activities like
running? Surely the wrist is close to the chest enough for a wireless
signal from the heart rate pickup. I can believe it would be too far
for wheel speed and cadence pickups, but that's not my worry.

Dave

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:56:36 -0400, Dave Stallard <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Glm wrote:
>

> I don't want a cyclocomputer integrated with it - I've already got a
> bike computer.
>
> What about all the people who use a HRM for non-biking activities like
> running? Surely the wrist is close to the chest enough for a wireless
> signal from the heart rate pickup. I can believe it would be too far
> for wheel speed and cadence pickups, but that's not my worry.
>
> Dave

Yes, for what it's worth, Polar recommends 3 feet/1 metre for initiating
the heart rate monitoring..

Apologies, I misunderstood your original - it didn't click that you didn't
require the cycling data at all. Ambiguity, the beauty of the English
language.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:46:05 -0400, Dave Stallard wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting a wristwatch mounted heart monitor (don't
> need it on the bike, plus I would use it for non-bike activities).

You should try it on the bike - it's easier and safer to check, and doesn't
interfere with arm warmers, long sleeves etc. Mine came with a piece of
foam rubber and a velcro strap, which wrap around the handlebar; the
watch fastens around the strap. Works well, and doesn't prevent you
from wearing it when running etc.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:56:36 -0400, Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:

>What about all the people who use a HRM for non-biking activities like
>running? Surely the wrist is close to the chest enough for a wireless
>signal from the heart rate pickup. I can believe it would be too far
>for wheel speed and cadence pickups, but that's not my worry.

I use a Polar A3, wear the watch and the strap. Works great for a basic model. Really
helps you understand what level you need to ride or walk to keep at a certain percent of
max. Some days I go for 70-80, others above 80 for a better heart work out. One ride
above 80%, then a recovery ride the next day. Under a $100.

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon