Naked Rambler Case Dropped

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gonzalez, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3022784.stm

    A man arrested as he began a naked ramble walked free from court - after being told he did not
    commit a crime. Steve Gough, 44, was seized on 17 June while being interviewed by a television crew
    near St Ives in Cornwall as he tried to walk between Land's End and John O'Groats. Mr Gough, from
    Eastleigh, Hampshire, was charged with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace and bailed to
    appear before Truro Magistrates' Court. But Simon Jones, prosecuting, asked for the case to be
    withdrawn because Mr Gough - who did not appear in court - had not committed a criminal offence. Mr
    Gough planned to undertake the 847-mile trek dressed only in a hat, socks, boots and a rucksack to
    publicise his campaign for a change in the laws on nudity. Earlier this year, bosses at BBC South
    were forced to call off a radio interview between veteran DJ John Peel and Mr Gough when the nude
    rights campaigner refused to cover up. Father-of-two Mr Gough had cycled five miles to the BBC
    offices in Southampton from his home in Eastleigh dressed in nothing but open-toed sandals.
    --
    remove remove to reply

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message . Mr Gough planned to
    > undertake the 847-mile trek dressed only in a hat, socks, boots and a rucksack to publicise his
    > campaign for a change in the laws on nudity.

    I suppose it depends where he wore the sock.

  3. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Gonzalez

    >A man arrested as he began a naked ramble walked free from court - after being told he did not
    >commit a crime.

    good luck to him. Why should it be a crime to not wear clothes?
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Wasdale, landscape photos, London & the
    Thames path "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" (see

  4. [email protected] wrote: ( Father-of-two Mr Gough had ) cycled five miles to the BBC
    offices in Southampton from his home in ( Eastleigh ...

    Oh, good; not exactly off-topic then. Is this an entry for the longest commute?

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > [email protected] wrote: ( Father-of-two Mr Gough had ) cycled five miles to the BBC
    > offices in Southampton from his home in ( Eastleigh ...
    >
    > Oh, good; not exactly off-topic then. Is this an entry for the longest commute?

    Possibly the most dangerous. Imagine the road rash if he'd come off!

    Colin

  7. Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote: (
    [email protected] says... ) > [email protected] wrote: ( > (
    Father-of-two Mr Gough had ) > ) cycled five miles to the BBC offices in Southampton from his home
    in ( > ( Eastleigh ... ) > ( > Oh, good; not exactly off-topic then. Is this an entry for ) > the
    longest commute? ( ) Possibly the most dangerous. Imagine the road rash if he'd come off!

    Indeed. Perhaps we should recommend this as a safety measure. For historical reasons I ride in
    gloves even in the depths of summer, and I find that I go much slower if I try to ride without
    gloves. It feels much more exposed, somehow, to have bare flesh out at the front of the bike: I
    suspect it is a fear of stripping the thin layer of meat off the top of all those tendons that work
    the fingers. How much greater must be the effect of having that much more of one exposed. I wonder
    whether mdg pilots would reduce their speeds if obliged to travel in the altogether.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > For historical reasons I ride in gloves even in the depths of summer, and I find that I go much
    > slower if I try to ride without gloves. It feels much more exposed, somehow, to have bare flesh
    > out at the front of the bike: I suspect it is a fear of stripping the thin layer of meat off the
    > top of all those tendons that work the fingers. How much greater must be the effect of having that
    > much more of one exposed. I wonder whether mdg pilots would reduce their speeds if obliged to
    > travel in the altogether.

    Not unless they were forced to use sand-paper seat covers as well.

    Colin

  9. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3022784.stm
    >
    >A man arrested as he began a naked ramble walked free from court - after being told he did not
    >commit a crime. Steve Gough, 44, was seized on 17 June while being interviewed by a television crew
    >near St Ives in Cornwall as he tried to walk between Land's End and John O'Groats. Mr Gough, from
    >Eastleigh, Hampshire, was charged with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace and bailed
    >to appear before Truro Magistrates' Court. But Simon Jones, prosecuting, asked for the case to be
    >withdrawn because Mr Gough - who did not appear in court - had not committed a criminal offence. Mr
    >Gough planned to undertake the 847-mile trek dressed only in a hat, socks, boots and a rucksack to
    >publicise his campaign for a change in the laws on nudity. Earlier this year, bosses at BBC South
    >were forced to call off a radio interview between veteran DJ John Peel and Mr Gough when the nude
    >rights campaigner refused to cover up. Father-of-two Mr Gough had cycled five miles to the BBC
    >offices in Southampton from his home in Eastleigh dressed in nothing but open-toed sandals.
    >--
    >remove remove to reply

    I'm all in favour of freedom, so long as it isn't made compulsory - think of the nettles, brambles.

    We met a guy from Yorkshire on a beach in Ibiza who admitted to roaming the moors nekkid. Completely
    harmless nutter, but he said he was 'known to the police' because of his habit.

    To get to the beach he had a 90 minute brisk walk over a headland which was quite exposed in places,
    so much so that he never met anybody en route.
    --
    Gordon

  10. Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Not unless they were forced to use sand-paper seat covers as well.

    That's not the first kinky post to urc in recent days. Is it the hot weather?

  11. Pete Bentley

    Pete Bentley Guest

  12. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Just zis Guy, you know?

    >> good luck to him. Why should it be a crime to not wear clothes?

    >Which is the greater crime against good taste: naked middle-aged men or bibshorts?

    I don't know, but neither should be a crime as "causing offence" should never be justification for
    prosecution or censorship. We do unfortunately still have laws that do this in areas like blasphemy
    and nudity. IMHO crimes must have victims who are actually harmed, not just scandalised. (there are
    of course laws like "speeding" in which no harm is committed but it is judged to be a high risk of
    potential harm being caused above an arbitrary limit.

    Then there is trespass to get back on topic.
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Wasdale, landscape photos, London & the
    Thames path "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" (see
    web for email)

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Pete Bentley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Earlier this year, bosses at BBC South were forced to call off a radio interview between veteran
    > >DJ John Peel and Mr Gough when the nude rights campaigner refused to cover up.

    > If it was radio, why would they care?

    Maybe John refused to Peel.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  14. Mp

    Mp Guest

    "Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote
    > >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3022784.stm
    > >
    > >A man arrested as he began a naked ramble walked free from court - after being told he did not
    > >commit a crime. Steve Gough, 44, was seized on 17 June while being interviewed by a television
    > >crew near St Ives in Cornwall as he tried to walk between Land's End and John O'Groats. Mr Gough,
    > >from Eastleigh, Hampshire, was charged with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace and
    > >bailed to appear before Truro Magistrates' Court. But Simon Jones, prosecuting, asked for the
    > >case to be withdrawn because Mr Gough - who did not appear in court - had not committed a
    > >criminal offence. Mr Gough planned to undertake the 847-mile trek dressed only in a hat, socks,
    > >boots and a rucksack to publicise his campaign for a change in the laws on nudity. Earlier this
    > >year, bosses at BBC South were forced to call off a radio interview between veteran DJ John Peel
    > >and Mr Gough when the nude rights campaigner refused to cover up. Father-of-two Mr Gough had
    > >cycled five miles to the BBC offices in Southampton from his home in Eastleigh dressed in nothing
    > >but open-toed sandals.
    > >--
    > >remove remove to reply
    >
    > I'm all in favour of freedom, so long as it isn't made compulsory - think of the nettles,
    > brambles.
    >
    > We met a guy from Yorkshire on a beach in Ibiza who admitted to roaming the moors nekkid.
    > Completely harmless nutter, but he said he was 'known to the police' because of his habit.
    >
    > To get to the beach he had a 90 minute brisk walk over a headland which was quite exposed in
    > places, so much so that he never met anybody en route.
    > --
    > Gordon

    Let me start by saying I have nothing at all against nudists, in fact it appears a very healthy life
    stile. But what about a woman walking alone when a man appears from nowhere naked, not sure she
    would think it harmless, and

    get away with flashing at unsuspecting people especially kids. Let's keep it sensible ah!

    MP.

  15. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Just zis Guy, you know?

    > veteran DJ John Peel and Mr Gough when the nude
    >> >rights campaigner refused to cover up.

    >> If it was radio, why would they care?

    >Maybe John refused to Peel.

    Is John Peel still a DJ, I thought he was a general purpose radio presenter now, Saturday mornings
    on R4 for instance. I would have thought such eccentricity would be just his cup of tea.
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Wasdale, landscape photos, London & the
    Thames path "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" (see
    web for email)

  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Following up to Just zis Guy, you know?
    >
    > > veteran DJ John Peel and Mr Gough when the nude
    >
    > >> If it was radio, why would they care?
    >
    > >Maybe John refused to Peel.
    >
    > Is John Peel still a DJ, I thought he was a general purpose radio presenter now, Saturday mornings
    > on R4 for instance.

    He is still a Radio 1 and World Service DJ as well as being a presenter.

    > I would have thought such eccentricity would be just his cup of tea.

    He records the programme in London, such interviews are done remotely. I guess it was the staff at
    the Southampton studios who objected rather than John Peel himself.

    Colin

  17. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to MP

    >Let me start by saying I have nothing at all against nudists, in fact it appears a very healthy
    >life stile. But what about a woman walking alone when a man appears from nowhere naked, not sure
    >she would think it harmless, and

    >get away with flashing at unsuspecting people especially kids. Let's keep it sensible ah!

    If nudity and naturists were commonplace rather than taboo no one would be alarmed by a naked
    person, flashing probably would not exist

    way from this position in UK with our hang ups about such things.
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Wasdale, landscape photos, London & the
    Thames path "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" (see
    web for email)

  18. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Following up to MP
    >
    > >Let me start by saying I have nothing at all against nudists, in fact it appears a very healthy
    > >life stile. But what about a woman walking alone when a man appears from nowhere naked, not sure
    > >she would think it harmless, and

    > >get away with flashing at unsuspecting people especially kids. Let's keep it sensible ah!
    >
    > If nudity and naturists were commonplace rather than taboo no one would be alarmed by a naked
    > person, flashing probably would not exist

    constitutes most incidents of flashing not simple nudity.

    Colin

  19. Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Earlier this year, bosses at BBC South were forced to call off a radio interview between veteran
    > DJ John Peel and Mr Gough when the nude rights campaigner refused to cover up.

    Hmm. How on earth would anyone be able to tell if he was nude or not, seeing as it was a
    *radio* show? ;-)

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  20. The Reid <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Following up to Gonzalez
    >

    > >A man arrested as he began a naked ramble walked free from court - after being told he did not
    > >commit a crime.
    >
    > good luck to him. Why should it be a crime to not wear clothes?

    And in some cases, it's the wearing of clothes that ought to be a crime. But enough about Laurence
    Llewellyn-Bowen's suits.... :)