Name Brand or Bikes Direct

jwhuntman

Jul 11, 2011
I just bought my 13 year old son a Jamis Ventura Sport roadbike from my LBS. It is a very nice bike and I am thinking of getting myself one to ride with him. I have been looking at all the choices in bikes in the under $800.00 range and found most are about like the one I bought for my son. They all are nice bikes with entry level gear sets. I have also looked at bikes direct and found for the same money I can have a Motobecane or Windsor with at least 105 gear sets for the same money. Now before you jump on the dont order online band wagon I wont be. I live in Jacksonville Fl and can walk into the store, get fitted, order the right size, be setup on the trainer and get lifetime tuneups. So with all being equal with the LBS what do you think, Name brand or quality gear sets for the same money.

FWIW. I would choose a bike ([COLOR= #808080]probably, the Motobecane even though there probably isn't that great a difference between the two[/COLOR]) from BikesDirect.Com -- even if I didn't have the advantage of being a walk-in -- rather than paying the premium to the LBS ([COLOR= #808080]no offense to all of the local bike shops[/COLOR]) ...

AND, I recommend that you take the time to learn how to do as much of the maintenance as you can ... a copy of ZINN AND THE ART OF ROAD BIKE MAINTENANCE is a good source of information ... you can probably check out a copy of the book from your public library.

+1. When you google Bikes Direct, you find several people telling horror stories about the company. If all of the people who had good experiences with BD posted it, you would be hard pressed to find the bad posts. After a little time on the forums, I have a good opinion of BD and their bikes. Sure, they mess up sometimes but then so does your LBS or any other company.

Thank You both, The comments from you are along the lines i am thinking. I am new to the road bike market but it just seems to me that being able to shift from the down bar with the 105 shifter is a much better way than that with the Sora on my sons bike. Really all that concerns me is the quality of the frames. After looking at the Jamis frame I see it is Made in China so that is not in great favor to me either. Since really all the negative post I have seen on BD is the fact you don't have the attention of the local shop doesn't bother me since they will be my LBS. Now I just have to decide between the Windsor Fens or Motobecane Vent Nor. On another note living in Florida do I really need a triple?

I bought a Dawes Lightning 1200 from Bikes Direct two years ago. I've got almost 2,000 miles on the bike and couldn't be happier. I had two issues when I received it, rims weren't true but my LBS trued them up for $15 a piece. I also had an issue with the handlebars slipping in the stem. I emailed Bikes Direct and they sent me a replacement free of charge the next day. I had a very limited budget and found I could get the most for my money his way. This may not be the best option for everyone but I can't complain and would likely buy from them again.

For the extra 50 bucks I would go with the Fens. The Fens is equiped with more 105 components than the Vent Noir.