Names of bike parts?

Trentus

Guest
OK, I know where the "seat" is. I even know what the "handlebars" are. And I'm pretty familiar with
"Tyres" (not tires, that's what happens to *me* after a ride)

Anyone able to direct me to a URL that names the various parts of a bike, so I can
1. Avoid confusing/wrong answers caused by trying to "describe" a part and having it misunderstood
for some other part.
2. Sound less like an idiot when asking a question (I am so VERY capable of looking and sounding
like an idiot, that I don't really need any extra opportunities)
3. Understand better the posts in this newsgroup.

TIA

Trentus

I don't know about a website, but try Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. It's the most
comprehensive guide out there. Try your local bookstore, or your library.

Cheers,

Peter

--
"We are free to be free." Nelson Mandela

"Politics is much too important a matter to be left to the politicians." Charles de Gaulle

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, I know where the "seat" is. I even know what the "handlebars" are. And I'm pretty familiar
> with "Tyres" (not tires, that's what happens to *me* after a ride)
>
> Anyone able to direct me to a URL that names the various parts of a bike, so I can
> 1. Avoid confusing/wrong answers caused by trying to "describe" a part and having it misunderstood
> for some other part.
> 2. Sound less like an idiot when asking a question (I am so VERY capable of looking and sounding
> like an idiot, that I don't really need any extra opportunities)
> 3. Understand better the posts in this newsgroup.
>
> TIA
>
> Trentus

Why don't you cruse the ol geezer's site http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html . There's
plenty of great and very useful stuff.

Other than that, I'd suggest getting Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance book or
something.
--
Slacker

Here's one: http://www.eandsweb.com/trails/info/bike_buy.html

Trentus wrote:

> OK, I know where the "seat" is. I even know what the "handlebars" are. And I'm pretty familiar
> with "Tyres" (not tires, that's what happens to *me* after a ride)
>
> Anyone able to direct me to a URL that names the various parts of a bike, so I can
> 1. Avoid confusing/wrong answers caused by trying to "describe" a part and having it misunderstood
> for some other part.
> 2. Sound less like an idiot when asking a question (I am so VERY capable of looking and sounding
> like an idiot, that I don't really need any extra opportunities)
> 3. Understand better the posts in this newsgroup.
>
> TIA
>
> Trentus

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, I know where the "seat" is. I even know what the "handlebars" are. And I'm pretty familiar
> with "Tyres" (not tires, that's what happens to
*me*
> after a ride)
>
> Anyone able to direct me to a URL that names the various parts of a bike,
so
> I can
> 1. Avoid confusing/wrong answers caused by trying to "describe" a part and having it misunderstood
> for some other part.
> 2. Sound less like an idiot when asking a question (I am so VERY capable
of
> looking and sounding like an idiot, that I don't really need any extra opportunities)
> 3. Understand better the posts in this newsgroup.
>
> TIA
>
> Trentus

How about a store?

www.supergo.com pictures of every part you would need to know the name of.

darsh

> How about a store?
>
> www.supergo.com pictures of every part you would need to know the name
of.

> darsh

He said it, not me.

-John Morgan
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

where do l get me a "tire quick release" l am sick of having to take the whole wheel off all
the time lol

"stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> where do l get me a "tire quick release" l am sick of having to take the whole wheel off all the
> time lol

No, that would be a "Tyre quick release" I think he actually meant to draw the arrow to a packet of
high energy snacks in the tool bag, for a "quick release" when - after a strenous ride - you "tire"

Trentus

Thanks to all, those were excellent resources.

So it would appear that the "Top tube" is what we used to call the "Crossbar". The "cassette" is
what we used to call the "Cluster" or "Rear Cluster" The "Stem" is what we used to call the
"Gooseneck"

At least now I know what a "seat stay" and "Chain Stay" are. Those had always intriqued me. I
assumed they were things to keep the chain, and seat in place.

Trentus

In article <[email protected]>, "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > where do l get me a "tire quick release" l am sick of having to take the whole wheel off all the
> > time lol
m" is what we used to call the "Gooseneck"

> At least now I know what a "seat stay" and "Chain Stay" are. Those had always intriqued me. I
> assumed they were things to keep the chain, and seat in place.
>
> Trentus

They are, and they do. Think of where the seat and chain would be without the stays.