Nanodrive: The First 21st Century Drive Train System

Sheldon Brown

Guest
Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain
and sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No
wonder you're slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED
Nanodrive, the first 21st century drive train system! Get
rid of that obsolete junk!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

Sheldon "Progress!" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Warning: Objects in mirror appear smarter than they are.
| |
---+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

> Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch
> chain and sprocket, like they used to use in the last
> century? No wonder you're slow! Time to get with it!
>
> Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you
> NEED Nanodrive, the first 21st century drive train system!
> Get rid of that obsolete junk!
>
> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

I love the first of April. Well done Sheldon.

Fraser

I'm interested in this but concerned about backward
compatability. I'm currently using a 7 speed Shimano
Hyperdrive system with 7 speed hubs, cassette and chain.
These parts are getting increasingly harder to source. I was
reluctate to upgrade to 8 speed because 9 was around to
corner. Then it was 10speed cassestte. Now it's 20 and that
seems like enough. Will there be any adapters to fit the new
"20" onto my 7speed rear hub or must I replace it along with
everything else.

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:00:25 -0500, Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch
> chain and sprocket, like they used to use in the last
> century? No wonder you're slow! Time to get with it!
>
> Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you
> NEED Nanodrive, the first 21st century drive train system!
> Get rid of that obsolete junk!

"(Featuring the new Citröen Monospoke Wheelset)"

Love those wheels!, the ultimate accessary for the weight
weenie in all of us :)

Steve

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch
> chain and sprocket, like they used to use in the last
> century? No wonder you're slow! Time to get with it!
>
> Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you
> NEED Nanodrive, the first 21st century drive train system!
> Get rid of that obsolete junk!
>
> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive
>
> Sheldon "Progress!" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------
> -------+
> | Warning: Objects in mirror appear smarter than they
> | are. |
> +---------------------------------------------------------
> -----+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-
> find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
> http://sheldonbrown.com

Please put me on the list for the next generation when fuzzy-
logic autoshifters are fully compatible. And please confer
with DOD and NASA and see when you can modify the ramjet
technology for assisting us beerkegs on bikes up the hill.

jim

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

Sheldon, brilliant idea! We are all growing old waiting for
CVT (continuously variable transmission), and this is almost
as good but built on proven technology. My question is, I
have an old non-indexed 3x7 speed bike. Will I be able to
use my existing shifters and derailers, and just buy your
new chainrings, cassette and chain? Will there be a cassette
to fit narrow dropouts of 6/7 speed frames?

> Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch
> chain and sprocket, like they used to use in the last
> century? No wonder you're slow! Time to get with it!
>
> Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you
> NEED Nanodrive, the first 21st century drive train system!
> Get rid of that obsolete junk!

Sheldon, I'm disappointed! I thought when you called it
'Nano' drive you meant something _really_ small, like tiny
electric motors that could be hidden inside hubs and bottom
brackets, fueled by tiny fuel cells secreted inside the
seat tube, to give us mere mortals super-athelete type
speed. This is no more than mere evolution of existing
technology, hardly a revolution.. well, I suppose it is
meant for revolution but you know what I mean ;). Call it
'Microdrive' if you will, but it's hardly 'nano'drive,
don't exagerate ! ;).

Rich

in message <[email protected]>, Sheldon Brown
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch
> chain and sprocket, like they used to use in the last
> century? No wonder you're slow! Time to get with it!
>
> Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you
> NEED Nanodrive, the first 21st century drive train system!
> Get rid of that obsolete junk!
>
> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

These monospoke wheels... does the rim stand on, or hang
from, the spoke?

Simon, GD&R

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle
on flat mountains.

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:55:14 GMT, "Alan" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>was 10speed cassestte. Now it's 20 and that seems like
>enough. Will there be any adapters to fit the new "20" onto
>my 7speed rear hub or must I replace it along with
>everything else.

You can just use the old "16 of 20 on 7" setup. Get the
standard drive system, but install only 16 sprockets. It
ought to work fine, but you'll lose some of the close-ratio-
ality of the nanodrive system, or some of the range
(depending on sprocket choice).
--
Rick Onanian