Napa Valley Dirt Classic

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Warren, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Warren

    Warren Guest

    Can anyone describe the course? Mud, dirt, sand? Tire suggestions? How much climbing? Easy,
    technical?

    TIA -WG

    Tags:

  2. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    warren at [email protected] wrote on 3/20/03 4:16 PM:

    > Can anyone describe the course? Mud, dirt, sand? Tire suggestions? How much climbing? Easy,
    > technical?

    Great.

    Rolling fireroad start with mild climbing.

    Three x Elevator Drop whoop-de-doos (fireroad)

    Lots of nice singletrack (climbs and descents)

    Long winding descent on singletrack and then on increasingly sketchy old jeep roads.

    Then a pretty good climb to get back up out of the valley to the airport. Couple of places where the
    mortals are walking.

    Then drop down with a trick or two before the finish.

    It's not super-technical anywhere, but you can really mess yourself up on some of the sudden drops.

    Mud status will depend upon rains. The course is not muddy/mucky in my memory, although you get
    pretty splattered by the time you finish - there are some mud puddles and watery bits, but it ain't
    a cross race...

    For the first time last year, I tried fairly short multi-knobs to get a little more speed on the
    fireroads. Felt they were too sketchy for the sketchy jeep road bits. This year I plan to go back to
    proven knobbier tires.

    It's definitely more technical than the Sea Otter Classic, but not quite as singletracky as the
    Boggs Mtn Bash.

    Hope that helps -

    here's a couple pictures:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~cyclofiend/races/nvdc_02.html