Narrow Q factor roadie pedals causing knee pain---need advice

ttk

Guest
Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
outward (hence I quite skiing-
the SPD pedals are a little too wide and gives me some hot spots
otherwise I don't get knee pain
anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare?

"ttk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
> knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
> outward (hence I quite skiing-
> the SPD pedals are a little too wide and gives me some hot spots
> otherwise I don't get knee pain
> anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare?

I don't know how they compare, but you can adjust the Q factor with
speedplays (actually you adjust the position of the cleat on the shoe, but
the end result is the same). I played with my Zeros until my foot felt
flat.

HTH

Look CX6/CX7 allow about 8mm sideways movement of the pedal body on the
axle, so you can ride more toes out without heels/ankles hitting the cranks.

Keywin pedals also have different length axles available.

Nick

[email protected] (ttk) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
> knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
> outward (hence I quite skiing-
> the SPD pedals are a little too wide and gives me some hot spots
> otherwise I don't get knee pain
> anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare?

Time ATAC pedals allow rotational and lateral float, giving a lot of
freedom to position/move your feet around.

LGF

<< anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare? >><BR><BR>

LOOK CX-6 has adjusteable q factor to about 1cm. SP has longer axle spindles
available in 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 inch increases plus the cleat can be moved well
out.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

I use bebop pedals, as use a two bolt side by side with a plate between the
screws and the cleat bed, regardless of your shoe I have quite a bit of
lateral adjustment, and they are float pedals like the speedplay only their
cleat is much more robust.

"ttk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
> knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
> outward (hence I quite skiing-
> the SPD pedals are a little too wide and gives me some hot spots
> otherwise I don't get knee pain
> anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare?

---

ttk wrote:
> Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
> knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
> outward (hence I quite skiing-

Orthotics might be another way to solve your problem, though obviously
you'd want to see an orthopedist or podiatrist to get fitted. I recently
got fitted to address a pronation problem and I noticed that the
orthotics made me tend to orient more toes-forward than toes-out, to the
point where I rotated my Egg Beater cleats a bit to get back to a
neutral position.

JLS
--
James Scott