Narrow road tires for Clydesdales?....

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Smokey, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    I'm 6'3", 230#, and right now my Lemond is equipped with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 at 75 psi. Can
    someone of my size use a narrower high pressure tire like a 700x23 or 25 at 100 psi+ for less
    rolling resistance? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for all replies. Smokey- 2001
    Lemond Poprad

    Tags:

  2. >I'm 6'3", 230#, and right now my Lemond is equipped with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 at 75 psi. Can
    >someone of my size use a narrower high pressure tire like a 700x23 or 25 at 100 psi+ for less
    >rolling resistance? This would be for pavement use only.

    I use 700x23's on my Lemond with my weight varying from 245 to 215 (current) and I also carry a
    whole bunch of tools, 2 water bottles, etc.

    Others may disagree, but works fine for me!

    I did have my wheels "stress relieved"

    Had the bike since 1999, it has about 7,500 miles, never a hint of a problem.

    http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

    http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox (Family Web Page)

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm 6'3", 230#, and right now my Lemond is equipped with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 at 75 psi. Can
    > someone of my size use a narrower high pressure tire like a 700x23 or 25 at 100 psi+ for less
    > rolling resistance? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for all replies. Smokey- 2001
    > Lemond Poprad

    Some reading material:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

    http://www.bicycleclassics.com/tires.html (scroll down to note on tire width)

  4. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > I'm 6'3", 230#, and right now my Lemond is equipped with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 at 75 psi. Can
    > someone of my size use a narrower high pressure tire like a 700x23 or 25 at 100 psi+ for less
    > rolling resistance? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for all replies. Smokey- 2001
    > Lemond Poprad

    I would think you'd be fine with a 25mm tire, though I wouldn't go much smaller than that.
    Continental's Sport 1000 is a 25mm tire at 120psi which like.

  5. > I'm 6'3", 230#, and right now my Lemond is equipped with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 at 75 psi. Can
    > someone of my size use a narrower high pressure tire like a 700x23 or 25 at 100 psi+ for less
    > rolling resistance? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for all replies.

    You'll probably be OK with a true 25c tire running at 120psi. It varies tremendously, based upon
    riding style (some people just seem to hit things harder than others, regardless of weight) and the
    condition of the roads you ride.

    Learn to get religious about air pressure, topping off the tires before every single ride, even if
    it's only a day between. Full rated air pressure is going to keep you from getting as many flats,
    protect your rims, and give you an easier ride.

  6. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    >I would think you'd be fine with a 25mm tire, though I wouldn't go much smaller than that.
    >Continental's Sport 1000 is a 25mm tire at 120psi which like.

    I started at 265 and now 238 using 25's. that's about as low as I would go or you may rattle your
    bones to death (G)

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
    toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  7. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    > You'll probably be OK with a true 25c tire running at 120psi. It varies tremendously, based upon
    > riding style (some people just seem to hit things harder than others, regardless of weight) and
    > the condition of the roads
    you
    > ride.

    This is very true. I've noticed over the years that some people just ride heavy. Bad technique or
    whatever. Some 150lb guys destroy rims and tires. Meanwhile, a relative(??) fatso like me at 185lb
    rarely damages rim or tire. I know where they ride and I don't do that kind of damage to my bike.
    Bad luck or bad form? Dunno.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  8. Di

    Di Guest

    "smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm 6'3", 230#, and right now my Lemond is equipped with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 at 75 psi. Can
    > someone of my size use a narrower high pressure tire like a 700x23 or 25 at 100 psi+ for less
    > rolling resistance? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for all replies. Smokey- 2001
    > Lemond Poprad

    I've been using Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels and Vittoria Corsa CX 700-23 tires for over 6,000 miles,
    I've never had to true the wheels and am on my 3rd set of tires, I replace the rim tape annually.
    Maybe have 3-4 flats a year, all from glass. I inflate the tires to 130psi every time I ride unless
    the rides are only a few days apart. I weigh 235 lbs.

    I know some won't agree with this, but I don't plan to change to any other tire or wheel for a
    long time.

  9. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    di wrote:
    > "smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I'm 6'3", 230#, and right now my Lemond is equipped with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 at 75 psi. Can
    >> someone of my size use a narrower high pressure tire like a 700x23 or 25 at 100 psi+ for less
    >> rolling resistance? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for all replies. Smokey- 2001
    >> Lemond Poprad
    >
    > I've been using Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels and Vittoria Corsa CX 700-23 tires for over 6,000 miles,
    > I've never had to true the wheels and am on my 3rd set of tires, I replace the rim tape annually.
    > Maybe have 3-4 flats a year, all from glass. I inflate the tires to 130psi every time I ride
    > unless the rides are only a few days apart. I weigh 235 lbs.
    >
    > I know some won't agree with this, but I don't plan to change to any other tire or wheel for a
    > long time.

    Why not pump up to 130 psi before *every* ride?

    Bill "cheap Nashbar floor pump part of my warm-up routine" S.

  10. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Why not pump up to 130 psi before *every* ride?
    >
    > Bill "cheap Nashbar floor pump part of my warm-up routine" S.

    Too lazy? I don't often check before every ride...I leave it to the bicycle gods to decide if
    I've guessed correctly on my tire pressure! Fanatical structure is a sign of mental illness you
    know... ;-)

    Cheers!

    Scott..

  11. > > You'll probably be OK with a true 25c tire running at 120psi. It varies tremendously, based upon
    > > riding style (some people just seem to hit
    things
    > > harder than others, regardless of weight) and the condition of the roads
    > you
    > > ride.
    >
    > This is very true. I've noticed over the years that some people just ride heavy. Bad technique or
    > whatever. Some 150lb guys destroy rims and
    tires.
    > Meanwhile, a relative(??) fatso like me at 185lb rarely damages rim or
    tire.
    > I know where they ride and I don't do that kind of damage to my bike. Bad luck or bad form? Dunno.

    One contributing factor can be if the rider isn't in the best of shape and is riding with a group of
    other stronger, faster cyclists. That type of rider is just hanging onto the wheel in front of them,
    unable to react quickly enough to avoid potholes and road debris. The closer you are to the front of
    the pack, the better off you are in terms of avoiding surprises!

    It took me the longest time to figure that one out. Why do I get so few flats (one every 3-5,000
    miles) vs others riding similar routes getting far more? No, not because I'm that strong and ride
    at the front (don't I wish!). But I'm generally riding in a group of 1-5 other cyclists, not a
    large group, and have pretty good visibility of the road ahead. At the other end is a guy I know
    who destroys equipment right and left, but he's probably a bit lighter than I am. So what was the
    difference? Well, I asked him about the groups he rides with, and I spoke with some people who do
    those rides (very large group rides, very fast), and learned that he's just barely hanging on for
    his life in these rides, and is known for hitting stuff on the road. He's in survival mode,
    hanging onto that wheel in front of him, and a victim of whatever's out there on the road because
    he can't react.

  12. Cal

    Cal Guest

    I'm your size. I ride about 7000 miles per year. I've tried some "house brand" tires (cheapies), but
    quickly developed a preference for Conti's and now Michelin. In the Conti line, I really like the
    Grand Prix in a 700x25, but its sidewall isn't as tough as the less expensive Ultra 2000. The Ultra
    is heavier, tougher and lasts longer... and several dollars each less expensive. The Michelin Axial
    Carbon, now just Carbon, is easily the equal of the Ultra 2000, but it is wider. The 25 is huge! I
    like the 23 in a Michelin. I think the Michelin Carbon wears a little longer, but haven't enough
    data to know for sure yet, since i've changed sizes from 25 to 23 in that tire.

    I inflate to 100 rear and 95 front with the Michelin Carbon 25 and have never pinch flatted one. I
    run the 23 @ 105/100 with equal success. The lower pressures really improve the ride for me and even
    at my definitely "Clydesdale" mass give no problems with pinch flatting. I do hit patches of gravel
    and broken pavement at speed ocassionally, but I am careful to try to avoid the big stuff.

    Hope this helps. Cal

    On 22 Feb 2004 10:57:22 -0800, [email protected] (smokey) wrote:

    >I'm 6'3", 230#, and right now my Lemond is equipped with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 at 75 psi. Can
    >someone of my size use a narrower high pressure tire like a 700x23 or 25 at 100 psi+ for less
    >rolling resistance? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for all replies. Smokey- 2001
    >Lemond Poprad

  13. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 22 Feb 2004 10:57:22 -0800, [email protected] (smokey) wrote:
    >I'm 6'3", 230#, and right now my Lemond is equipped with Panaracer

    Why, when discussing tire (or other) loading weight capacity, do so many people include their
    height? The tires (or wheels, or seatpost, or whatever) don't care. Anyway...

    >Paselas 700x35 at 75 psi. Can someone of my size use a narrower high pressure tire like a 700x23
    >or 25 at 100 psi+ for less rolling resistance? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for
    >all replies.

    I weigh 210 pounds, ride Hutchinson Carbon Comp 700x23 @ 125psi, and find them to be both
    comfortable and sufficiently durable.

    http://www.precisiontandems.com/photos_files/tirechartx.jpg
    --
    Rick Onanian

  14. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:
    > Why, when discussing tire (or other) loading weight capacity, do so many people include their
    > height? The tires (or wheels, or seatpost, or whatever) don't care. Anyway...
    >
    > I weigh 210 pounds, ride Hutchinson Carbon Comp 700x23 @ 125psi, and find them to be both
    > comfortable and sufficiently durable.

    Ah, but how tall are you?!? :)

    Bill "hated the Hutchinson CC's" S.

  15. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:55:09 GMT, "S o r n i"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Rick Onanian wrote:
    >> Why, when discussing tire (or other) loading weight capacity, do so many people include their
    >> height? The tires (or wheels, or seatpost, or whatever) don't care. Anyway...
    >>
    >> I weigh 210 pounds, ride Hutchinson Carbon Comp 700x23 @ 125psi, and find them to be both
    >> comfortable and sufficiently durable.
    >
    >Ah, but how tall are you?!? :)

    There's the difference! I'm a few inches shorter than others who have trouble with narrow
    tires...and I seem to be shrinking. Is 24 years old too young to shrink? I could swear that I was
    5'10" a few years back, but a quick job with a tape measure comes to about 5'8".

    Er...maybe some minor back problems I've had have made me shorter...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  16. Di

    Di Guest

    "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:55:09 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Rick Onanian wrote:
    > >> Why, when discussing tire (or other) loading weight capacity, do so many people include their
    > >> height? The tires (or wheels, or seatpost, or whatever) don't care. Anyway...
    > >>
    > >> I weigh 210 pounds, ride Hutchinson Carbon Comp 700x23 @ 125psi, and find them to be both
    > >> comfortable and sufficiently durable.
    > >
    > >Ah, but how tall are you?!? :)
    >
    > There's the difference! I'm a few inches shorter than others who have trouble with narrow
    > tires...and I seem to be shrinking. Is 24 years old too young to shrink? I could swear that I was
    > 5'10" a few years back, but a quick job with a tape measure comes to about 5'8".
    >
    > Er...maybe some minor back problems I've had have made me shorter...
    > --
    > Rick Onanian

    It's the narrow tires :<)