Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Narrowing down my new RB choice...

Started by Jaguar27 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 810 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 November 2004
Last activity
26 November 2004
Original author
Jaguar27
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
810
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm presently riding a Cannondale CAAD 4...I've been looking, mainly online unfortunately, due to time constraints, at buying a new Bike..yes, I KNOW I should be riding them...

    I've found an 04 Kestrel Talon SL, full dura ace, Ksyrium SSL wheels...for $3000, brand new...

    But then again, there's the six13, Colnago, Opera and a Bike I never knew about untill last week, the Argon 18...a Canadian company...

    Basically, I don't have the Knowledge, or time, to build a Custom Bike and I want a Bike I'll never have to upgrade....apart from initially maybe changing some stuff for a proper fit...

    Plus, I was measured for a 55cm frame, for the Kestrel, but I feel more comfy on a 57....

    I know you're gonna tell me to ride them all but most of the LBS in our area either only have frames (hard to test-ride), bikes that are not in my size, or no bikes at all "we'll have to order one".... 🙁

    But how does the Kestrel SL sound? 😕

    Thanx in advance for any advice...

  2. Jaguar27 said:

    I'm presently riding a Cannondale CAAD 4...I've been looking, mainly online unfortunately, due to time constraints, at buying a new Bike..yes, I KNOW I should be riding them...

    I've found an 04 Kestrel Talon SL, full dura ace, Ksyrium SSL wheels...for $3000, brand new...

    But then again, there's the six13, Colnago, Opera and a Bike I never knew about untill last week, the Argon 18...a Canadian company...

    Basically, I don't have the Knowledge, or time, to build a Custom Bike and I want a Bike I'll never have to upgrade....apart from initially maybe changing some stuff for a proper fit...

    Plus, I was measured for a 55cm frame, for the Kestrel, but I feel more comfy on a 57....

    I know you're gonna tell me to ride them all but most of the LBS in our area either only have frames (hard to test-ride), bikes that are not in my size, or no bikes at all "we'll have to order one".... 🙁

    But how does the Kestrel SL sound? 😕

    Thanx in advance for any advice...

    Sounds like a good way to throw $3000 down a rathole.If the Cadle fits, at least you have a basis for comparative geometry measurements. Or would you rather have a poll of lame guesses and lamer opinion.?

  3. boudreaux said:

    Sounds like a good way to throw $3000 down a rathole.If the Cadle fits, at least you have a basis for comparative geometry measurements. Or would you rather have a poll of lame guesses and lamer opinion.?

    Thanks boudreux, but could you be a little more specific?

  4. What type of riding do you want to do? Crits, centuries, ... Do you want traditional or compact? What frame material do you fancy? Kestrel, C-dale, Specialized, Pinarello, Colnago, Opera make fine bikes. So do Litespeed, Merlin, Trek, LeMond, Argon, Aegis, and a host of others.

    You can get a decent bike for 3K, especially if it is production where the manufacturer gets a discount on components and wheels. But ... I'd get a better frame than the Talon rather than get DA. To me, the best bang for your buck is the best frame/fork you can afford, a very good wheelset and an Ultegra-9 build.

    Best.

  5. Thanks for the reply...
    I typicaly do around 100 miles per week, depending on the time I have to spend riding...or more sometimes...either road or paved trail...depending on the Traffic...

    I was actually focusing on Ultegra to be honest, I really don't need D/A...

    It may sound stupid (because it is), but I like the look of the Talon Frame..and I know that's not a good reason to choose a Bike...but I do like the feel of Carbon...Opera also looks really nice...

    I'm 48, so I guess it's too late to start racing...so comfort comes before speed...

    I just LOVE to ride, what can I say??

    Thanks again!!

    CycleFreakLS said:

    What type of riding do you want to do? Crits, centuries, ... Do you want traditional or compact? What frame material do you fancy? Kestrel, C-dale, Specialized, Pinarello, Colnago, Opera make fine bikes. So do Litespeed, Merlin, Trek, LeMond, Argon, Aegis, and a host of others.

    You can get a decent bike for 3K, especially if it is production where the manufacturer gets a discount on components and wheels. But ... I'd get a better frame than the Talon rather than get DA. To me, the best bang for your buck is the best frame/fork you can afford, a very good wheelset and an Ultegra-9 build.

    Best.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.