NASA World Wind

Rooney

Guest
OK, so I've downloaded and installed it, plus the UK add-on. What
next? How do you work it? I can't make anything happen at all!

"Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, so I've downloaded and installed it, plus the UK add-on. What
> next? How do you work it? I can't make anything happen at all!

the most basic thing to do is 'zoom in on somewhere' if you're on dial-up,
wait for the info to download.
you have to have an internet connection to get any places show up

Rooney wrote:
> OK, so I've downloaded and installed it, plus the UK add-on. What
> next? How do you work it? I can't make anything happen at all!

There's another wind forecasting site at http://www.windguru.cz however
this is aimed at sailors, not walkers, so unless you're on a coastal
path or near a lake you'd have to subscribe to get your favourite hill.
Among the small boat sailors I know it is recognised as pretty good.

Andy

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:55:52 +0000, [email protected] wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 01:34:06 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>OK, so I've downloaded and installed it, plus the UK add-on. What
>>next? How do you work it? I can't make anything happen at all!

>First, this is a fantastic resource and thank you whoever pointed it
>out on urw and happy new year to you all.
>
>You just start it from the desktop and if your mouse is simple then
>use the keyboard shortcuts (numeric 7 and 1) to zoom in and out. If
>you have a limited graphics card then don't attempt the rolling etc
>with keyboard awsz. to pan to a spot tick "the point to go" in the
>"view" menu.
>
>I think it says it is open source, so here's hoping someone will write
>a utility to accept scans of uk from the local file.
>
>I'll need a little time to understand GSV's various posts but so far I
>think you can do all he suggests from the downloads and lay maps from
>the local files onto the flyby, so no need for the oziexplorer, or
>have I got that wrong.
>
>All the more incentive to by that 3d card now.
>
>AJH

Thanks, but I still can't make anything happen - just a grey screen
below the icons.

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:11:37 +0000, [email protected] wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:40:42 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Thanks, but I still can't make anything happen - just a grey screen
>>below the icons.

>OK I probably cannot help you then. On mine the program starts with a
>small nasa splash screen, it then goes to a 3/4 full sized window
>with a toolbar containing "file view tools help", below that is
>toolbar of icons (which often disappear on mine) below these is a
>globe filling the remainder of the window centred on africa.
>
>The program seems to constantly connect to nasa, the download meter
>shows it. As it seems to work from cache I generally disable requests
>for input from nasa.
>
>Even when fully enabled much of the interactivity does not hackle, I
>put this down to a poor graphics card and unstable installation of xp
>s2.
>
>This is great for an overview but as GSV has pointed out all the
>resources are separately available, so for route visualisation a
>1:25000 os bitmap draped over the height data and then have the flyby
>on a gps track in 3dem seems favourite. It first means re calibrating
>any maps to lat/long mins secs, which is beyond me atm.
>
>AJH

Thanks. I've got the splash screen and 3/4 window with the toolbar and
icons, but no globe.

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:11:37 +0000, [email protected] wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:40:42 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Thanks, but I still can't make anything happen - just a grey screen
>>below the icons.

>OK I probably cannot help you then. On mine the program starts with a
>small nasa splash screen, it then goes to a 3/4 full sized window
>with a toolbar containing "file view tools help", below that is
>toolbar of icons (which often disappear on mine) below these is a
>globe filling the remainder of the window centred on africa.
>
>The program seems to constantly connect to nasa, the download meter
>shows it. As it seems to work from cache I generally disable requests
>for input from nasa.
>
>Even when fully enabled much of the interactivity does not hackle, I
>put this down to a poor graphics card and unstable installation of xp
>s2.
>
>This is great for an overview but as GSV has pointed out all the
>resources are separately available, so for route visualisation a
>1:25000 os bitmap draped over the height data and then have the flyby
>on a gps track in 3dem seems favourite. It first means re calibrating
>any maps to lat/long mins secs, which is beyond me atm.
>
>AJH

Thanks. I've got the splash screen and 3/4 window with the toolbar and
icons, but no globe.

"Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:11:37 +0000, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:40:42 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks, but I still can't make anything happen - just a grey screen
>>>below the icons.

>>OK I probably cannot help you then. On mine the program starts with a
>>small nasa splash screen, it then goes to a 3/4 full sized window
>>with a toolbar containing "file view tools help", below that is
>>toolbar of icons (which often disappear on mine) below these is a
>>globe filling the remainder of the window centred on africa.
>>
>>The program seems to constantly connect to nasa, the download meter
>>shows it. As it seems to work from cache I generally disable requests
>>for input from nasa.
>>
>>Even when fully enabled much of the interactivity does not hackle, I
>>put this down to a poor graphics card and unstable installation of xp
>>s2.
>>
>>This is great for an overview but as GSV has pointed out all the
>>resources are separately available, so for route visualisation a
>>1:25000 os bitmap draped over the height data and then have the flyby
>>on a gps track in 3dem seems favourite. It first means re calibrating
>>any maps to lat/long mins secs, which is beyond me atm.
>>
>>AJH

> Thanks. I've got the splash screen and 3/4 window with the toolbar and
> icons, but no globe.

Well, I've done likewise, downloaded version 2d, added the uk plug in, got
globe etc, zoomed into Cheshire, but there is still a server problem, as
detailed on the web site, so until this is sorted then little else seems to
be possible!

Robert

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:35:54 +0000, Rooney wrote:

> Thanks. I've got the splash screen and 3/4 window with the toolbar and
> icons, but no globe.

You might try searching the forums, there are possibly some others with
the same problem, and there's a few very knowledgable posters who might
have an inkling.

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/forums/

It seems to work for lots of people. Some machines don't have a 3D card
capable of working due to age, others have machines which sound like they
should fly but don't. The project is still in its infancy, and there are
bugs aplenty.

The thread "Video Card Compatability List" at

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/forums/index.php?showtopic=7

might be a good starter for 10.

General advice would be

- make sure your machine meets the minimum spec listed on the NASA site

- download and install the latest video drivers for your 3D card

- ensure your DirectX is the latest available

- check for DirectX problems; run the tool at
Start->Run->dxdiag
and make sure the demos are working and no errors are reported

- if you're not using World Wind 1.2d (latest current version) you
can download it from the link at

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/forums/index.php?showtopic=715

- cross your fingers !

If you still don't have success, try posting details of the error in the
support forum. If you include detailed description of your setup (you can
attach the text file generated by dxdiag, it seems pretty detailed !) this
will help. I would also include a screen-shot to show the symptoms
exactly. Before taking the screenshot, click the location icon to show
lat/lon/altitude etc, and press Ctrl-D to turn on some useful debugging
info.

Best of luck.

--
pjk

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:14:35 GMT, "Paul J. Keenan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:35:54 +0000, Rooney wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I've got the splash screen and 3/4 window with the toolbar and
>> icons, but no globe.

>You might try searching the forums, there are possibly some others with
>the same problem, and there's a few very knowledgable posters who might
>have an inkling.
>
>http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/forums/
>
>It seems to work for lots of people. Some machines don't have a 3D card
>capable of working due to age, others have machines which sound like they
>should fly but don't. The project is still in its infancy, and there are
>bugs aplenty.
>
>The thread "Video Card Compatability List" at
>
>http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/forums/index.php?showtopic=7
>
>might be a good starter for 10.
>

>General advice would be
>
>- make sure your machine meets the minimum spec listed on the NASA site
>
>- download and install the latest video drivers for your 3D card
>
>- ensure your DirectX is the latest available
>
>- check for DirectX problems; run the tool at
> Start->Run->dxdiag
> and make sure the demos are working and no errors are reported
>
>- if you're not using World Wind 1.2d (latest current version) you
> can download it from the link at
>
>http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/forums/index.php?showtopic=715
>
>- cross your fingers !
>
>If you still don't have success, try posting details of the error in the
>support forum. If you include detailed description of your setup (you can
>attach the text file generated by dxdiag, it seems pretty detailed !) this
>will help. I would also include a screen-shot to show the symptoms
>exactly. Before taking the screenshot, click the location icon to show
>lat/lon/altitude etc, and press Ctrl-D to turn on some useful debugging
>info.
>
>Best of luck.

Thanks. I guess it's likely to be my SiS 650 card, but I'll look into
it further.

Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful
person Robert Hill <[email protected]> said
<snip>
>Well, I've done likewise, downloaded version 2d, added the uk plug in, got
>globe etc, zoomed into Cheshire, but there is still a server problem, as
>detailed on the web site, so until this is sorted then little else seems to
>be possible!

Hit their website early AM UK time (most of the traffic is US based).
You can also download (about 150MB) the Landat and SRTM data for the Uk
and stick it in your cache, so you don't need the server. This
workaround is detailed on their website, but you can go straight there
at:

http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/cache.html

near the bottom, labelled 'uk'

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful
> person Robert Hill <[email protected]> said
> <snip>
>>Well, I've done likewise, downloaded version 2d, added the uk plug in, got
>>globe etc, zoomed into Cheshire, but there is still a server problem, as
>>detailed on the web site, so until this is sorted then little else seems
>>be possible!

> Hit their website early AM UK time (most of the traffic is US based). You
> can also download (about 150MB) the Landat and SRTM data for the Uk and
> stick it in your cache, so you don't need the server. This workaround is
> detailed on their website, but you can go straight there at:
>
> GOOD ADVICE! All is working this morning - connection fine.

Robert