NASCAR drivers are NOT athletes.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by ronde chumpion, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. Hey,

    Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.

    Thanks,
    Ronde Chumpion

    Tags:

  2. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey,
    >
    > Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Chumpion

    What does a NASCAR driver do to work out, lift his foot up
    and down repeatedly?

    Mike

  3. When I knew nothing about motor racing I used to have the same opinion as
    you.

    But one day I rented a kart and did some laps on a circuit. I liked it so
    much that I started racing and then took a license to race in the local
    karting championships (I live in Galicia, northwest of Spain).
    What I want to inform you is that motor racing is by no means a no-effort
    sport, in fact there is a lot of energy and muscle power to spend when you
    train and race.
    Of course it cannot be compared with cycling in terms of physical effort
    (anyway the list of those sports is not so big), but in order to be a good
    driver you must be very well physically.
    If you don't believe this please try to check it by driving a racing kart (I
    mean a compettion model, if you can) or ask people who are inside the sport
    to tell you.

    For your information, I have raced during six years in cycling (1980-85) and
    two years in karting (1994-95). Now I play chess (2003-?)

    Regards
    Antonio Sanchez

    "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey,
    >
    > Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Chumpion

  4. Monty

    Monty Guest

    I think they also turn a wheel counter-clockwise. then straight, then
    counter-clockwise. then straight, then counter-clockwise. then straight,
    then....

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ronde Chumpion

    > What does a NASCAR driver do to work out, lift his foot up
    > and down repeatedly?
    >
    > Mike

  5. AMG

    AMG Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:30:56 -0700, ronde chumpion wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Chumpion

    That goes for golfers, too. Walking is not a sport (nor is riding in a
    golf cart).

    AMG

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.

    How much more crap is going to spew forth from your keyboard?
    -------------
    Alex

  7. ronde chumpion wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Chumpion

    Whatever happened to the british bid to have Contract Bridge included in
    the summer olympics? (I did not make this up)

  8. AMG wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:30:56 -0700, ronde chumpion wrote:
    >

    >>Hey,
    >>
    >> Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Ronde Chumpion

    > That goes for golfers, too. Walking is not a sport (nor is riding in a
    > golf cart).
    >
    > AMG

    Golf is a sport when you carry your own bag. Kind of an endurance
    sport, walking 18 holes, hauling around all that weight in the sun and
    still trying to hit the ball well. All bets are off when you have a
    caddy and a cart, tho.

  9. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Monty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I think they also turn a wheel counter-clockwise. then straight, then
    > counter-clockwise. then straight, then counter-clockwise. then straight,
    > then....

    Since their tracks are mostly an oval, you only have to practice
    turning one way. That tip should cut down on their workout
    routine.

    Michael's Rule: It's not a sport if you can be good at it and smoke
    a cigarette at the same time.

    -- Mike

  10. Bill Poole

    Bill Poole Guest

    > Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.

    Some sports are VERY aerobic, very physical, others are significantly less
    so.

    It is often said that at the champion level, all sport is 90% mental, so the
    physical and strength and exertion part is only 10%, right? Could one then
    say the top NASCAR guy and the Top Swimmer/Runner/Bicyclist/golfer are 90%
    the same champion?

    Frank Dumoulan (FRA), Tanu Kiriakov (BUL), Tao Luna (CHN) and Jonas Edman
    (SWE) participate in what must be the LEAST aerobic sports in the olympics,
    but their medals from Syndey 2000 are just as GOLD as all the others! And
    their sport is just as mentailly demanding, maybe more-so than most of the
    others.

    Poole
    Arizona
    (in training for 2008)

  11. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    > What does a NASCAR driver do to work out, lift his foot up
    > and down repeatedly?

    I think thats riding a bike...... I will never understand the apeal
    nascar has to some people. Why is dale e...whatever regarded as such a
    hero?

  12. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Bill Poole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > It is often said that at the champion level, all sport is 90% mental, so the
    > physical and strength and exertion part is only 10%, right? Could one then
    > say the top NASCAR guy and the Top Swimmer/Runner/Bicyclist/golfer are 90%
    > the same champion?

    Maybe in future Olympics, they could include the sport
    of writing legal briefs. That's kind of mental, and the trips
    on the steps the law library could divide the sprinters from the
    climbers.

    M.

  13. Michael wrote:
    > "Monty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I think they also turn a wheel counter-clockwise. then straight, then
    >>counter-clockwise. then straight, then counter-clockwise. then straight,
    >>then....

    > Since their tracks are mostly an oval, you only have to practice
    > turning one way. That tip should cut down on their workout
    > routine.
    >
    > Michael's Rule: It's not a sport if you can be good at it and smoke
    > a cigarette at the same time.
    >
    > -- Mike

    How about have a bear gut and still compete at the top level?

  14. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Michael wrote:
    > > "Monty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>I think they also turn a wheel counter-clockwise. then straight, then
    > >>counter-clockwise. then straight, then counter-clockwise. then straight,
    > >>then....

    > > Since their tracks are mostly an oval, you only have to practice
    > > turning one way. That tip should cut down on their workout
    > > routine.
    > >
    > > Michael's Rule: It's not a sport if you can be good at it and smoke
    > > a cigarette at the same time.
    > >
    > > -- Mike
    > >

    > How about have a bear gut and still compete at the top level?

    Warren Sapp.

    M.

  15. Bill Poole wrote:

    >> Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.

    > Some sports are VERY aerobic, very physical, others are significantly less
    > so.
    >
    > It is often said that at the champion level, all sport is 90% mental, so the
    > physical and strength and exertion part is only 10%, right? Could one then
    > say the top NASCAR guy and the Top Swimmer/Runner/Bicyclist/golfer are 90%
    > the same champion?
    >
    > Frank Dumoulan (FRA), Tanu Kiriakov (BUL), Tao Luna (CHN) and Jonas Edman
    > (SWE) participate in what must be the LEAST aerobic sports in the olympics,
    > but their medals from Syndey 2000 are just as GOLD as all the others! And
    > their sport is just as mentailly demanding, maybe more-so than most of the
    > others.
    >
    > Poole
    > Arizona
    > (in training for 2008)

    I think I'd accept car racing in the olympics if the drivers had to
    compete in one of these:

    http://www.pedalcar.com/

  16. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

  17. fstrnu

    fstrnu Guest

    What about Poker? It's on ESPN! :)

    "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey,
    >
    > Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Chumpion

  18. J Jones

    J Jones Guest

    "Antonio Sanchez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > When I knew nothing about motor racing I used to have the same opinion as
    > you.
    >
    > But one day I rented a kart and did some laps on a circuit. I liked it so
    > much that I started racing and then took a license to race in the local
    > karting championships (I live in Galicia, northwest of Spain).
    > What I want to inform you is that motor racing is by no means a no-effort
    > sport, in fact there is a lot of energy and muscle power to spend when you
    > train and race.
    > Of course it cannot be compared with cycling in terms of physical effort
    > (anyway the list of those sports is not so big), but in order to be a good
    > driver you must be very well physically.
    > If you don't believe this please try to check it by driving a racing kart

    (I
    > mean a compettion model, if you can) or ask people who are inside the

    sport
    > to tell you.
    >
    > For your information, I have raced during six years in cycling (1980-85)

    and
    > two years in karting (1994-95). Now I play chess (2003-?)
    >
    > Regards
    > Antonio Sanchez

    IAWTP. While I don't consider racecar drivers to be pure 'athletes' in the
    same vein as cyclists, basketball players, etc., they do have to have some
    level of physical fitness to be able to drive a car around for hours on end
    at very high rates of speed. Like any pro-level athlete, they make it look
    easy because they are on a different plane than your average weekend
    warrior. In addition, similar to pro cyclists superhuman genetics, I
    believe top racecar drivers have their own superhuman genetics - reflexes
    and concentration abilities.

    Just doing laps in a competition-level vehicle is not enough - get out there
    and drive in a real race to get the full effect. It's not as easy as it
    looks - both physically and mentally.
    Jeff

    > "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > Neither are golfers, pool players, golfers, and most baseball players.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ronde Chumpion

  19. In article <[email protected]>, J Jones
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Antonio Sanchez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > When I knew nothing about motor racing I used to have the same opinion as
    > > you.
    > >
    > > But one day I rented a kart and did some laps on a circuit. I liked it so
    > > much that I started racing and then took a license to race in the local
    > > karting championships (I live in Galicia, northwest of Spain).
    > > What I want to inform you is that motor racing is by no means a no-effort
    > > sport, in fact there is a lot of energy and muscle power to spend when you
    > > train and race.
    > > Of course it cannot be compared with cycling in terms of physical effort
    > > (anyway the list of those sports is not so big), but in order to be a good
    > > driver you must be very well physically.
    > > If you don't believe this please try to check it by driving a racing kart

    > (I
    > > mean a compettion model, if you can) or ask people who are inside the

    > sport
    > > to tell you.
    > >
    > > For your information, I have raced during six years in cycling (1980-85)

    > and
    > > two years in karting (1994-95). Now I play chess (2003-?)
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Antonio Sanchez
    > >

    > IAWTP. While I don't consider racecar drivers to be pure 'athletes' in the
    > same vein as cyclists, basketball players, etc., they do have to have some
    > level of physical fitness to be able to drive a car around for hours on end
    > at very high rates of speed. Like any pro-level athlete, they make it look
    > easy because they are on a different plane than your average weekend
    > warrior. In addition, similar to pro cyclists superhuman genetics, I
    > believe top racecar drivers have their own superhuman genetics - reflexes
    > and concentration abilities.
    >
    > Just doing laps in a competition-level vehicle is not enough - get out there
    > and drive in a real race to get the full effect. It's not as easy as it
    > looks - both physically and mentally.
    > Jeff

    People should watch the video of Jeff Gordon getting out of his car in
    victory circle after he won the Infineon race. He could barely craw out
    of his car because he was so wipped out. Thigs were worse for Jeff
    because his airconditioned driving suit failed so he was dealing with
    150 degree heat in his car during the last 1/2 of his race. Also road
    courses are much tougher than oval tracks.

    Look at the riders who are near the top of the driver standings in
    NASCAR. They are not overweight or out of shape. The top drivers are in
    good shape ( not in the fattie masters category).

    Als if auto racing is not physically demanding how come there aren't a
    bunch of women in the top levels of racing. Of course there is some
    good old boy club" mentality that helps make it tough on women drivers
    but there are enough women in the ower levels of racing so that if
    physical concerns weren't important a few more of them should have
    cricked into the top ranks of racing by now.

  20. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:110720041919396422%[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, J Jones
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Antonio Sanchez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > When I knew nothing about motor racing I used to have the same opinion as
    > > > you.
    > > >
    > > > But one day I rented a kart and did some laps on a circuit. I liked it so
    > > > much that I started racing and then took a license to race in the local
    > > > karting championships (I live in Galicia, northwest of Spain).
    > > > What I want to inform you is that motor racing is by no means a no-effort
    > > > sport, in fact there is a lot of energy and muscle power to spend when you
    > > > train and race.
    > > > Of course it cannot be compared with cycling in terms of physical effort
    > > > (anyway the list of those sports is not so big), but in order to be a good
    > > > driver you must be very well physically.
    > > > If you don't believe this please try to check it by driving a racing kart

    > > (I
    > > > mean a compettion model, if you can) or ask people who are inside the

    > > sport
    > > > to tell you.
    > > >
    > > > For your information, I have raced during six years in cycling (1980-85)

    > > and
    > > > two years in karting (1994-95). Now I play chess (2003-?)
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > > Antonio Sanchez
    > > >

    > > IAWTP. While I don't consider racecar drivers to be pure 'athletes' in the
    > > same vein as cyclists, basketball players, etc., they do have to have some
    > > level of physical fitness to be able to drive a car around for hours on end
    > > at very high rates of speed. Like any pro-level athlete, they make it look
    > > easy because they are on a different plane than your average weekend
    > > warrior. In addition, similar to pro cyclists superhuman genetics, I
    > > believe top racecar drivers have their own superhuman genetics - reflexes
    > > and concentration abilities.
    > >
    > > Just doing laps in a competition-level vehicle is not enough - get out there
    > > and drive in a real race to get the full effect. It's not as easy as it
    > > looks - both physically and mentally.
    > > Jeff

    > People should watch the video of Jeff Gordon getting out of his car in
    > victory circle after he won the Infineon race. He could barely craw out
    > of his car because he was so wipped out.

    Yeah, diesel truck drivers are like that too.

    M.