Nashbar and their free shipping scam

JWill226

Mar 4, 2008
I placed an order threw Nashbar because or their free shipping for orders over $50. I was going to order threw Performance but with Nashbar's free shipping I could get my order about $8 cheaper (my order was barely over the $50 mark).

After I made my order I got an email showing the free shipping. The next day I got an email saying one of the things I ordered (the tool that was the most important thing in the order) was on back order (Not according to the website). I was upset but thats just how things go right. I didn't contact them because I didn't think it would do any good.

Flash forward to today. I received my package with out the back ordered tool (as I expected). In looking over the invoice I see that the total for merchandise shipped was $49.90. They also billed me $9.25 for shipping. The tool I'm waiting on is only $7.95.

I called them today expecting that they would see the mistake and refund the shipping cost or give me the difference off another order... ...something. I was told that my $49.90 order didn't qualify for the over $50 free shipping. I explained that if they had sent my complete order it would have been over $50. I also said that if I had known in the first place that the tool was on back order I would have ordered from another company entirely as I want the tool ASAP. I was also told that I was going to be billed for shipping on the back ordered tool as well because its not over $50 by its self. The lady then offered to let me order more things to put the back ordered item in a $50 bundle to beat the shipping.

I ended the conversation by politely telling the lady to cancel the back order, and remove my name from any mailings and email lists I was on because as far as I am concerned I was a victim of false advertising and I refuse to do business with a company that has these sort of practices.

JWill226 said:
I placed an order threw Nashbar because or their free shipping for orders over $50. I was going to order threw Performance but with Nashbar's free shipping I could get my order about $8 cheaper (my order was barely over the $50 mark).

After I made my order I got an email showing the free shipping. The next day I got an email saying one of the things I ordered (the tool that was the most important thing in the order) was on back order (Not according to the website). I was upset but thats just how things go right. I didn't contact them because I didn't think it would do any good.

Flash forward to today. I received my package with out the back ordered tool (as I expected). In looking over the invoice I see that the total for merchandise shipped was $49.90. They also billed me $9.25 for shipping. The tool I'm waiting on is only $7.95.

I called them today expecting that they would see the mistake and refund the shipping cost or give me the difference off another order... ...something. I was told that my $49.90 order didn't qualify for the over $50 free shipping. I explained that if they had sent my complete order it would have been over $50. I also said that if I had known in the first place that the tool was on back order I would have ordered from another company entirely as I want the tool ASAP. I was also told that I was going to be billed for shipping on the back ordered tool as well because its not over $50 by its self. The lady then offered to let me order more things to put the back ordered item in a $50 bundle to beat the shipping.

I ended the conversation by politely telling the lady to cancel the back order, and remove my name from any mailings and email lists I was on because as far as I am concerned I was a victim of false advertising and I refuse to do business with a company that has these sort of practices.
Did you pay with your credit card? Did you get an invoice for the amount to be charged when you completed your order? If yes, and they charged an amount different from that in the invoice when you placed the order, then this is tantamount to fraud, and you should be able to dispute it. But otherwise, you're probably SOL.

I would send it all back and order from Jenson or AEBike. Nashbar's flyers are deceiving and the prices are seldom cheaper than reliable retailers. Their selection usually sucks, too.

I received an email today telling me that they have credited my CC for the cost of the shipping. Even though they did whats right I still refuse to shop with them again. 90% of the time they can be beat by just about any body online but this one time I thought I could save a couple bucks and I got screwed out of my time and if I had let it go I would be out about $15 as well.

In the end you can do what you want but I'll never send them another dollar.