Nashbar Cassettes?

JBAFromNY

Guest
As part of a quest to upgrade a bike on the cheap, I've noticed that
Nashbar's house brand cassettes are cheaper than Shimano, SRAM, and
Campy, and come in a cog combination I can use. Are they any good?
Will spending a bit more on Shimano get me noticeably better shifting
and/or durability?

TIA,
John

"JBAFromNY" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1125422675.023311.18900
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> As part of a quest to upgrade a bike on the cheap, I've noticed that
> Nashbar's house brand cassettes are cheaper than Shimano, SRAM, and
> Campy, and come in a cog combination I can use. Are they any good?
> Will spending a bit more on Shimano get me noticeably better shifting
> and/or durability?
>
> TIA,
> John

I bought a 9-speed 11-34 Nashbar cassette for my spare dirt bike wheels
that I have slicks on. It's chromed, and noticeably heavier than the SRAM
11-32 that came with the bike. The chrome started flaking after about 200
miles, but the exposed metal underneath hasn't rusted and shifting is
unaffected.

It looks as cheap as it sells for, but it functions fine.

In article <[email protected]>,
Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:

> "JBAFromNY" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1125422675.023311.18900
> @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > As part of a quest to upgrade a bike on the cheap, I've noticed that
> > Nashbar's house brand cassettes are cheaper than Shimano, SRAM, and
> > Campy, and come in a cog combination I can use. Are they any good?
> > Will spending a bit more on Shimano get me noticeably better shifting
> > and/or durability?
> >
> > TIA,
> > John
> >

> I bought a 9-speed 11-34 Nashbar cassette for my spare dirt bike wheels
> that I have slicks on. It's chromed, and noticeably heavier than the SRAM
> 11-32 that came with the bike. The chrome started flaking after about 200
> miles, but the exposed metal underneath hasn't rusted and shifting is
> unaffected.
>
> It looks as cheap as it sells for, but it functions fine.

Hm. Chrome? I bet it's a house-branded Sunrace:

http://www.sunrace.com/productpage.asp?prodLine=R80&category=cassettes

I have one of these or something reasonably similar. It works.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hm. Chrome? I bet it's a house-branded Sunrace:

You are 100% correct. The tip-off is the "MegaGear" sticker on the 34 -
Sunrace's goof on Shimano's MegaRange line.

According to JBAFromNY <[email protected]>:
>As part of a quest to upgrade a bike on the cheap, I've noticed that
>Nashbar's house brand cassettes are cheaper than Shimano, SRAM, and
>Campy, and come in a cog combination I can use. Are they any good?
>Will spending a bit more on Shimano get me noticeably better shifting
>and/or durability?

I use an 8-speed Nashbar cassette on my mountain bike and it shifts
wonderfully. It's heavy enough that I suspect it will be longer-lived
than a comparable Shimano part.

---
Lars Lehtonen
Los Angeles Bicycle Calendar: http://calendar.bikeboom.com

Lars Lehtonen wrote:
> According to JBAFromNY <[email protected]>:
>
>>As part of a quest to upgrade a bike on the cheap, I've noticed that
>>Nashbar's house brand cassettes are cheaper than Shimano, SRAM, and
>>Campy, and come in a cog combination I can use. Are they any good?
>>Will spending a bit more on Shimano get me noticeably better shifting
>>and/or durability?

> I use an 8-speed Nashbar cassette on my mountain bike and it shifts
> wonderfully. It's heavy enough that I suspect it will be longer-lived
> than a comparable Shimano part.

I used one of these for a while. Besides being much heavier (than SRAM)
it had a tendency to shed teeth. I think the SRAM cassettes are a better
value.

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:19:07 -0700, Lars Lehtonen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I use an 8-speed Nashbar cassette on my mountain bike and it shifts
>wonderfully. It's heavy enough that I suspect it will be longer-lived
>than a comparable Shimano part.

Considering that the difference in weight between the two cassettes is
almost certainly due to less material toward teh center of the cogs,
or on the "spider" and not the steel teeth, I doubt that.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

According to John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>:
>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:19:07 -0700, Lars Lehtonen
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I use an 8-speed Nashbar cassette on my mountain bike and it shifts
>>wonderfully. It's heavy enough that I suspect it will be longer-lived
>>than a comparable Shimano part.

>Considering that the difference in weight between the two cassettes is
>almost certainly due to less material toward teh center of the cogs,
>or on the "spider" and not the steel teeth, I doubt that.

Are you comparing the two of them right now, or is there just something
magic about the word "Shimano?"

--
Lars Lehtonen