Nashbar getting a bit more creative?

David L. Johnson

Guest
I've noticed that Nashbar has offered some more unusual items lately. I
saw an ad for mustache bars yesterday, and today I noticed they were
selling old 3-speed coaster-brake shimano hubs that were supposedly NOS
from the 1970s.

Nice to see them offer a bit more variety.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:

>I've noticed that Nashbar has offered some more unusual items lately.

>Nice to see them offer a bit more variety.

I'm sure Performance Bike will manage to put a stop this, now that
they own GNashbar. Performance is the kingh of Monoculture. I get 10
Performance catalogs per year, and the net change is < 1 new items,
typically, per catalogue.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:

> I'm sure Performance Bike will manage to put a stop this, now that they own Nashbar.

What do you mean, "now that they own Nashbar?" They've owned Nashbar
for several years now, and haven't changed anything.

Art Harris

David L. Johnson wrote:
> I've noticed that Nashbar has offered some more unusual items lately. I
> saw an ad for mustache bars yesterday, and today I noticed they were
> selling old 3-speed coaster-brake shimano hubs that were supposedly NOS
> from the 1970s.
>
> Nice to see them offer a bit more variety.

Either that or they've been cleaning out the warehouse since the
Performance buyout was complete, and they're selling everything they
found in the corners. That thought sorta scares me -- I always liked
the eclectic selection at Nashbar.

Pat

Art Harris wrote:
> Donald Gillies wrote:
>

>>I'm sure Performance Bike will manage to put a stop this, now that they own Nashbar.

> What do you mean, "now that they own Nashbar?" They've owned Nashbar
> for several years now, and haven't changed anything.

There's usually about a 2 year lag between buying a company, and making
major changes.

I wonder if Performance is going to shut Nashbar down (bought the
customer list), or make it into a "super warehouse" with limited
selection; IOW the mail order for PerNashGo. "Leave it alone" may be
too much to hope for.

Pat

Pat Lamb <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> I wonder if Performance is going to shut Nashbar down (bought the
> customer list), or make it into a "super warehouse" with limited
> selection; IOW the mail order for PerNashGo. "Leave it alone" may be
> too much to hope for.

My understanding is that they are trying so separate the product lines
somewhat. Nashbar sells more lower end and older stuff. Supergo sells more
higher end stuff. Performance is somewhere in between, with a big focus on
house-brand clothing.

They are consolidating the store front operations. I understand that the
Supergo stores are being renamed "Performance" and some overlapping stores will
be shut down.

David L. Johnson wrote:
> I've noticed that Nashbar has offered some more unusual items lately. I
> saw an ad for mustache bars yesterday, and today I noticed they were
> selling old 3-speed coaster-brake shimano hubs that were supposedly NOS
> from the 1970s.
>
> Nice to see them offer a bit more variety.

One terrible thing I have noticed recently with Nashbar is their almost
complete discontinuation of Campagnolo products. No more 9 speed
Veloce cassettes. No Ergo shifters. Only an assorted mix of Chorus,
Centaur, Veloce products and wheels. Looks like they are just clearing
out the rest of their Campagnolo inventory.

Hard to say if this is due to Performance redirecting Nashbar's
marketing to cheap Shimano customers or if there just was not enough
profit selling quality Campagnolo products. I know I will be unhappy
when my current set of 9 speed cassettes wear out. I bought them for
about $30 from Nashbar. Branford Bike and I suspect other
internet/mail order places are selling them for $50.

Prices are good from both Performance and Nashbar. Quite often I find
stuff I want on sale. Performance almost always has a 20% off coupon
code going. And Team Performance adds another 10% rebate. Nashbar
frequently has 10% and 20% off slaes. Just placed an order with
Performance last night using a 20% off coupon and Team Performance 10%
rebate and 99 cent shipping. Can't complain too much.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>offer them a truckload of dead owls at a low price

> what a hoot

I resemble that remark...

--
BMO

Boyle M. Owl wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> offer them a truckload of dead owls at a low price

>> what a hoot

> I resemble that remark...

How /wise/ of you...

"Art Harris" <[email protected]> writes:

>What do you mean, "now that they own Nashbar?" They've owned Nashbar
>for several years now, and haven't changed anything.

Art, I used to work for the king of "Buy-em-and-destroy-em" companies
- Xerox Incorporated.

They buy some successful small business, running well, and things go
along for a few years (examples : Shugart Disk Drives, Daisy
Printers.) And then one year there is a hurricane in the Gulf or
whatever and sales drop and that division has a bad year. It doesn't
matter if they had many great years up until then, they had one bad
year.

At that point, the Corp. management, trained at B-School, decides that
they know better and they get involved so that they can "Fix Things".
The division goes into a deep nosedive, like a Japanese Zero just hit
by tracer fire, and that division is shut down within 5 years.

Time will tell if PerfBarGo does this to its new step children ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Ken <[email protected]> writes:

>My understanding is that they are trying so separate the product lines
>somewhat. Nashbar sells more lower end and older stuff. Supergo sells more
>higher end stuff. Performance is somewhere in between, with a big focus on
>house-brand clothing.

I like to ride retro bicycles. I have NEVER found a part at a
performance bike shop worth buying other than a 27.2 mm seatpost on a
$10 clearance and a Zefal HPX pump, and a $29 polar heart monitor on
clearance.

On the other hand I have bought DOZENS of parts from Nashbar over the
past 2 years. Nashbar (and bike warehouse) were actually in business
in the 1970's and they are much less "fad-driven" than performance.

- Don Gillies

>David L. Johnson wrote:
>> I've noticed that Nashbar has offered some more unusual items lately. I
>> saw an ad for mustache bars yesterday, and today I noticed they were
>> selling old 3-speed coaster-brake shimano hubs that were supposedly NOS
>> from the 1970s.
>>
>> Nice to see them offer a bit more variety.
>>

>Either that or they've been cleaning out the warehouse since the
>Performance buyout was complete, and they're selling everything they
>found in the corners. That thought sorta scares me -- I always liked
>the eclectic selection at Nashbar.

They recently had some NOS turbo saddles. They also had some Vitus 979 frames,
too bad they only had large sizes. They have gotten some interesting old stuff
recently.
------------
Alex

I'm expecting that the buying, warehouse and distribution functions will be
consolidated where practical with the merchandising and web sites continuing
to appeal to groups with different psychographics.

news:[email protected]...

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> They recently had some NOS turbo saddles.

They currently have NOS Selle San Marco Rolls saddles for $24.95. I
ordered one this morning and used a 10% coupon code "TKA6" (good
through October). You can't buy 'em that cheap on eBay!

Art Harris

says...

> There's usually about a 2 year lag between buying a company, and making
> major changes.
>
> I wonder if Performance is going to shut Nashbar down (bought the
> customer list), or make it into a "super warehouse" with limited
> selection; IOW the mail order for PerNashGo. "Leave it alone" may be
> too much to hope for.

Well, they've had more than five years now and haven't shut them down
yet. (Performance bought Nashbar in early 2000.)

Performance is intentionally maintaining multiple brands to address
multiple markets. They haven't eliminated the SuperGo name, either,
after owning them 3+ years.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>