Nashbar Jail Brakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sean M. Cunningham, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    Has anyone here used them? I'm thinking of getting a pair. Just by looking
    at the weight, they look like an excelent deal. Much cheaper than Shimano
    and Campy's offering in the same weight range.

    Is there anything wrong with these calipers that I'm missing?

    ---
    Sean Cunningham
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. David B.

    David B. Guest

    Don't know these brakes in particular, but Nashbar/Performance private
    label products are generally good value for money. I'd bet that the
    pads probably won't be great but most stock pads aren't, even on
    brand-name brakes.

  3. Sean M. Cunningham wrote:
    > Has anyone here used them? I'm thinking of getting a pair. Just by

    looking
    > at the weight, they look like an excelent deal.

    How exactly does the weight of a set of brake calipers correspond to a
    "deal"? If the calipers were heavier would they be less of a "deal"?
    If they were lighter would they be more of a "deal"?

    Much cheaper than Shimano
    > and Campy's offering in the same weight range.
    >
    > Is there anything wrong with these calipers that I'm missing?

    Can't speak to your exact question about the Nashbar brakes. But I
    have a cheap pair of 2003 Sora brakes on a bike. They are noticeably
    less solid than a pair of 1998 Chorus brakes on another bike. The $35
    Sora brakes work but I wish I had been less cheap and purchased higher
    quality calipers.

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 2 Feb 2005 16:39:51 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >Sean M. Cunningham wrote:
    >> Has anyone here used them? I'm thinking of getting a pair. Just by

    >looking
    >> at the weight, they look like an excelent deal.

    >How exactly does the weight of a set of brake calipers correspond to a
    >"deal"? If the calipers were heavier would they be less of a "deal"?
    >If they were lighter would they be more of a "deal"?

    Since all they do is slow you down, they might as well not weigh much.

    Ron

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >Hello,
    >Has anyone here used them? I'm thinking of getting a pair. Just by looking
    >at the weight, they look like an excelent deal. Much cheaper than Shimano
    >and Campy's offering in the same weight range.
    >Is there anything wrong with these calipers that I'm missing?

    You should budget for new brake shoes. I like the koolstop salmon pads.
    Otherwise, they should be decent brakes.
    -----------
    Alex

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >Hello,
    >Has anyone here used them? I'm thinking of getting a pair. Just by looking
    >at the weight, they look like an excelent deal. Much cheaper than Shimano
    >and Campy's offering in the same weight range.
    >Is there anything wrong with these calipers that I'm missing?

    You should budget for new brake shoes. I like the koolstop salmon pads.
    Otherwise, they should be decent brakes.
    -----------
    Alex

  8. flatline

    flatline Guest

    I have JailBrakes on one of my road bikes for about two years. They
    have a nice polished black finish, look pretty good, and even seem to
    work fairly decently as brakes.
    Though I had to twist one caliper very slightly to adjust toe-in when I
    first mounted them.
    The pad material is pretty soft, but I haven't ridden the bike enough
    to wear them out yet.

  9. jasong

    jasong New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    I have their cousing, the Nashbar Long Reach Brakes. They have been fine, but the others are right on when saying the pads aren't good. Get them wet and they'll sound horrible on the rims. But I honestly can't tell the difference between these and my ultegra brakes, except the $50+ dollar difference. I think they're lighter than Ultegra too. I also have their deluxe canti brakes and have been quite satisfied. Brakes have never seemed like something worthy of high prices.