Nashbar Overcharging California Sales Tax?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Young, May 31, 2003.

  1. Tom Young

    Tom Young Guest

    Just received an order from Nashbar, delivered via USPS. It looks to me that in calculating the
    California state-wide sales tax of 7.25% they used the total of the merchandise plus shipping and
    handling. Since shipping and handling is seperatly stated on the invoice I think this is illegal.

    Shall we start a class-action lawsuit? I'll bet if we win - 5 or 6 years from now, everybody who was
    affected by Nashbar's mis-calculation can receive a coupon good for $1 off on their next order!!!!!

    Tags:

  2. Niteynite1

    Niteynite1 Guest

    Or, you could call or write Nashbar and see if they'd send a credit or refund now.

    Will I drive a Kia. My cell phone is a NOkia. I am so confused.

  3. Chuck Davis

    Chuck Davis Guest

    From http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqscont.htm:

    "7. What if I collect too much sales taxes reimbursement from my customers?"

    Answer: "If you collect more than the amount of tax due, you must either return the excess amount to
    the customer or pay it to the state."

    So, if you win a suit, the state will probably get the money, if they don't have it already. Also,
    shipping may be exempt from tax, but handling isn't. When they're combined, tax is usually collected
    on the combined total.

    Chuck Davis

    "Tom Young" <t[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just received an order from Nashbar, delivered via USPS. It looks to me that in calculating the
    > California state-wide sales tax of 7.25% they used the total of the merchandise plus shipping and
    > handling. Since shipping and handling is seperatly stated on the invoice I think this is illegal.
    >
    > Shall we start a class-action lawsuit? I'll bet if we win - 5 or 6 years from now, everybody who
    > was affected by Nashbar's mis-calculation can receive a coupon good for $1 off on their next
    > order!!!!!

  4. Moontrane

    Moontrane Guest

    Unfortunately, they are allowed to collect tax on S&H. They claim that S&H is a service and they can
    collect tax on a service.

    Other companies do this as well. The only way I see around this is to actually order by mail-this
    way you can write a check for the proper amount. Just make sure the items(s) is/are in stock.

    Des

    Subject: Re: Nashbar Overcharging California Sales Tax? From: "Chuck Davis" [email protected]
    Date: 05/31/2003 18:12 Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>

    From http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqscont.htm:

    "7. What if I collect too much sales taxes reimbursement from my customers?"

    Answer: "If you collect more than the amount of tax due, you must either return the excess amount to
    the customer or pay it to the state."

    So, if you win a suit, the state will probably get the money, if they don't have it already. Also,
    shipping may be exempt from tax, but handling isn't. When they're combined, tax is usually collected
    on the combined total.

    Chuck Davis

    news:[email protected]...