Nashbar "Sale" Prices

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Harris, May 7, 2003.

  1. Harris

    Harris Guest

    I received the lateset Nashbar cat in the mail yesterday. Seems like they're picking up some of the
    marketing schemes used by department stores.

    For example, the IRC Road Winner tire has been in their catalog for years at $14.95 (sometimes on
    sale for $12.95). Well now it's listed as $29.95 but "on sale" for $16.95 (in the clearance section
    of the cat).

    But in another section, it's listed at the "regular" price of $14.95!

    Art "Caveat Emptor" Harris

    Tags:

  2. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

    Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I received the lateset Nashbar cat in the mail yesterday. Seems like they're picking up some of
    : the marketing schemes used by department stores.

    : For example, the IRC Road Winner tire has been in their catalog for years at $14.95 (sometimes on
    : sale for $12.95). Well now it's listed as $29.95 but "on sale" for $16.95 (in the clearance
    : section of the cat).

    : But in another section, it's listed at the "regular" price of $14.95!

    : Art "Caveat Emptor" Harris

    I noticed that also. I think they are a bit confused at Nashbar. I hope those tires aren't a
    closeout. They are a very good value.

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

  3. Slingshot

    Slingshot Guest

    I was surprised- not in a good way- when I found out Nashbar had been bought out by Performance.
    It's kinda like your favorite local hardware store being taken over by Home Depot. I recall when
    Nashbike catalogs contained maintenance tips and tricks, and now they're price gouging!

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I received the lateset Nashbar cat in the mail yesterday.
    Seems like
    > they're picking up some of the marketing schemes used by
    department
    > stores.
    >
    > For example, the IRC Road Winner tire has been in their
    catalog for years
    > at $14.95 (sometimes on sale for $12.95). Well now it's
    listed as $29.95
    > but "on sale" for $16.95 (in the clearance section of the
    cat).

    > But in another section, it's listed at the "regular" price
    of $14.95!

    You always have to ask yourself, "20% off of *what*?" The worst offenders are the big supermarket
    chains, with hwy. robbery prices unless you use their stupid club cards, after which it's still
    expensive. In the meantime you have to go through a bunch of extra calculations to avoid being
    ripped off.

    I prefer to shop where I get everyday good value without the bullshit -- or usurous "handling"
    charges, which you don't find out what they are until you jump through all the hoops in the
    checkout process.

    Matt O.

  5. Ny Rides

    Ny Rides Guest

    I just noticed that the tire listed for $14.95 is the Road Winner II. The one for $16.95 is just a
    plain Road Winner. Is there a difference?

    > "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I received the lateset Nashbar cat in the mail yesterday.
    > Seems like
    > > they're picking up some of the marketing schemes used by
    > department
    > > stores.
    > >
    > > For example, the IRC Road Winner tire has been in their
    > catalog for years
    > > at $14.95 (sometimes on sale for $12.95). Well now it's
    > listed as $29.95
    > > but "on sale" for $16.95 (in the clearance section of the
    > cat).
    > >
    > > But in another section, it's listed at the "regular" price
    > of $14.95!
    >
    > You always have to ask yourself, "20% off of *what*?" The worst offenders are the big supermarket
    > chains, with hwy. robbery prices unless you use their stupid club cards, after which it's still
    > expensive. In the meantime you have to go through a bunch of extra calculations to avoid being
    > ripped off.
    >
    > I prefer to shop where I get everyday good value without the bullshit -- or usurous "handling"
    > charges, which you don't find out what they are until you jump through all the hoops in the
    > checkout process.
    >
    > Matt O.

  6. Harris

    Harris Guest

    NY Rides <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I just noticed that the tire listed for $14.95 is the Road Winner II. The one for $16.95 is just a
    > plain Road Winner. Is there a difference?

    Yes, about $2. <g>

    Art

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >I received the lateset Nashbar cat in the mail yesterday. Seems like they're picking up some of the
    >marketing schemes used by department stores. For example, the IRC Road Winner tire has been in
    >their catalog for years at $14.95 (sometimes on sale for $12.95). Well now it's listed as $29.95
    >but "on sale" for $16.95 (in the clearance section of the cat). But in another section, it's listed
    >at the "regular" price of $14.95!

    Not really needing any new bike stuff, I didn't look as carefully at all the prices. I guess that is
    what happens when Performance took over. The old Nashbar use to have real sale prices.

  8. Melisa Johns

    Melisa Johns Guest

    Come on Guys! Use www.qbike.com for the best price and get Nashbar to match
    it. Or Get Performance to match it. Or wait for a 20% off discount code, order a price match and
    get 20% off that.