Nashbar Trekking Bar

I did the same thing to a mountain bike. I positioned mine so that the grip area closest to me is a bit higher than the more distant bar area. That way I generally am at a fairly upright riding position when my hand is on the close section but can also lean forward, grasp the other section, and get a bit more aero when I want. I put the brake/shifters at the open ends with rubber grips just inside of them. I wrapped bar tape around the rest of the bar to give a variety of hand positions. I often grip the curved areas at the outside but can easily move my hand to the rubber grips for shifting and braking.

Here's a photo:

By the way. Last year I saw a road bike that had these mounted spun around so that the open part was farthest away from the saddle. It had bar ends in it so the result was one could stretch way out in an aero position and grab the bar ends like on an aero TT bike setup.

Since I commute with a straight bar mountain bike, that sounds like a pretty neat thing. The ability to rotate hand angles as well as go aero could prove quite useful. :)

I have installed it on my bike exactly like the picture posted. The only difference is I have bar tape all the way around it instead of grips on the flat area. It is great to have all of the different hand positions. I find myself all over the place on the bars now depending on what feels comfortable or if I want to hunch down a little bit and achieve an aero position. They are cheap to buy as well.

I'm sure the tape works fine. I already had the grips from my flat bar so I used them. I am surprised these trekking bars are not more popular.

Originally Posted by AlanG .

I'm sure the tape works fine. I already had the grips from my flat bar so I used them. I am surprised these trekking bars are not more popular.

I agree.